View Poll Results: Puerto Rico Status?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Puerto Rico should remain a territory

    4 10.00%
  • Puerto Rico should become a state

    13 32.50%
  • Puerto Rico should become an independent nation

    5 12.50%
  • Puerto Rico should be freely associated with the US

    0 0%
  • IDK/Other

    18 45.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Puerto Rico Statehood?

  1. #21
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Puerto Rico Statehood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Not really, no more than Rhode Island does. If Rhode Island seceded tomorrow, most people would neither notice nor care. We're not talking about a massive state with millions of people and a huge financial impact here, we're talking about less than the population of Los Angeles.
    Think about it for a few seconds. That would mean 2 more senators in Congress, and since Puerto Rico has 3,000,000 people that would mean several more HOR.

    Plus, we should give some thought to the political state of people in our own jurisdiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Puerto Rico Statehood?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Think about it for a few seconds. That would mean 2 more senators in Congress, and since Puerto Rico has 3,000,000 people that would mean several more HOR.

    Plus, we should give some thought to the political state of people in our own jurisdiction.
    So we raise the number of corrupt politicians by 2%. Yeah, that's important.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #23
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Puerto Rico Statehood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    So we raise the number of corrupt politicians by 2%. Yeah, that's important.
    It is, unless you don't live in the country
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  4. #24
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Puerto Rico Statehood?

    I do not really know what they will do, or what they should do for them, but for the united states i think it would be great to adopt them as a state. More revenue is never bad.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Puerto Rico Statehood?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    It is, unless you don't live in the country
    I don't live in Puerto Rico. It is their decision, they can vote to become a state or they can vote not to become a state. It's up to them. The only impact it will have on me is having to buy a new flag when they add a new star.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #26
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Puerto Rico Statehood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I don't live in Puerto Rico. It is their decision, they can vote to become a state or they can vote not to become a state. It's up to them. The only impact it will have on me is having to buy a new flag when they add a new star.
    I think if you were looking at this objectively you'd realize how ignorant this statement is. Taxes, language laws, immigration, representation in Congress, all of that will change.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Puerto Rico Statehood?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    I think if you were looking at this objectively you'd realize how ignorant this statement is. Taxes, language laws, immigration, representation in Congress, all of that will change.
    No it won't. My taxes won't change a whit, most Puerto Rican's already speak English, they are already immigrating to the U.S. in record numbers anyhow, making them a state will allow people to move both ways freely, but again, at 3 million, it's a mere drop in the bucket. Further, it isn't like Congress does anything now, you're just adding two more useless senators and another useless congressman. Big deal.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #28
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,339

    Re: Puerto Rico Statehood?

    Keep in mind, joining the union as a State is a one way street. A State cannot un join the union.
    If there is any question on this see the Civil War.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Puerto Rico Statehood?

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    Keep in mind, joining the union as a State is a one way street. A State cannot un join the union.
    If there is any question on this see the Civil War.
    Exactly. Once they make that choice they can not say they want back out. It's hell of a good reason to not do it in the first place, imo. Why anyone would want to join a union where they don't have the freedom to leave is beyond me.

  10. #30
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Puerto Rico Statehood?

    Puerto Rico should do whatever Puerto Rico wants to do. I really don't care one way or the other.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •