View Poll Results: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 32.26%
  • No

    21 67.74%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    11-23-12 @ 03:08 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    477

    Re: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

    I am for extremely limited background checks in any employment scenario. You should be judged on your ability to perform the duties required by the position, not on your ability to pay your bills on time.

    Also worth noting;

    I was called recently by the largest hospital in my area. They found my resume' in their system. They had a position that paid less than what I make now, and was beneath my skill level. The HR lady asked if I had a Bachelor's degree. When I told her no, she immediately acted as though I would not be competent enough to handle the position. Little did she know what I currently do, and how much I make, let alone that I previously worked at one of the most well known data-centers in the world. This particular position she called me about has been coming available every year for the past 5 years. Moral of the story? Human Resources is probably the worst thing to happen to the economy since the Great Depression.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Should employers be able to run credit checks for prospective employees? I personally think if a person is unemployed and has trouble paying bills it would just make things worse if you cant get a job because of your credit.
    A good number of us don't borrow money and have frozen our credit histories to help prevent identity theft. A check of our credit histories returns an ' insufficient information' response. We don't have bad scores, we have no scores at all.

  3. #13
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

    Yes, if you're trying to get a job in the few fields where that information might be relevant. Otherwise, it's none of the company's business. The other reason I don't want them doing it is because having too many checks on your credit in a short period of time can actually hurt it. If every company started doing this, and you were applying to lots of jobs, your credit score might actually end up going down just because of all the companies running credit checks on you.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

    Neither yes nor no...
    This depends on the job at hand.
    But, generally - yes !
    The employer should OPENLY be able to run a credit check..
    Here , communications can be greatly improved.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

    Human Resources is probably the worst thing to happen to the economy since the Great Depression.
    Strange conclusion......
    I'd say that the worst thing is those who are making decisions without being particularly bright.

  6. #16
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I could see a valid reason if the prospective hire was a finance person such as a financial planner.

    For your average person, they should not.
    The law as it is is good.

  7. #17
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

    Employers should be able to do whatever employees are willing to tolerate. Employment is a voluntary relationship between two people and both parties have a right to demand specific standards or behavior, so long as those standards don't conflict with EEOC laws, ADA laws, or AA laws. So drug tests, driving records, criminal records, credit checks, etc...I don't really see an issue with it. It's about minimizing risk for the employer, which minimizes costs, which benefits employees and consumers.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #18
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    due diligence by the employer
    given the abundance of prospective employees it allows the employer to select the one who has the qualifications and a clean credit history
    a blight on one's credit report may be an indicator of irresponsibility
    . May be is the key. Could also be a woman whose husband ruined her credit and then they divorced. I think it depends upon the position.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,124

    Re: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Yes, if you're trying to get a job in the few fields where that information might be relevant. Otherwise, it's none of the company's business. The other reason I don't want them doing it is because having too many checks on your credit in a short period of time can actually hurt it. If every company started doing this, and you were applying to lots of jobs, your credit score might actually end up going down just because of all the companies running credit checks on you.
    good point.

    in the current job market, there seems to be a trend towards :

    not hiring long term unemployed
    not hiring those with credit problems
    not hiring those with any kind of criminal record
    not hiring those who won't submit to exhaustive background checks and tests

    now, do we really want a balkanized, permanently unemployable group of people, some of whom are former criminals trying to work their way back up? what could go wrong with this plan?

    at my last gig, i had to submit to exhaustive background checks, including a consumer history report. this was so i could work in a lab. additionally, i did so as a contractor with no rights, no PTO, and a definite end date. and this is for a highly skilled job requiring multiple degrees. there is something seriously wrong with the current state of worker rights; we've taken a massive step backwards. i'm aware that those who still have steady, secure jobs don't think a lot about this stuff, but remember : your kids are entering or will soon enter this reality, and if they get nailed for any kind of indiscretion post 18, game over.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    11-23-12 @ 03:08 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    477

    Re: Should employers be able to run credit checks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    good point.

    in the current job market, there seems to be a trend towards :

    not hiring long term unemployed
    not hiring those with credit problems
    not hiring those with any kind of criminal record
    not hiring those who won't submit to exhaustive background checks and tests

    now, do we really want a balkanized, permanently unemployable group of people, some of whom are former criminals trying to work their way back up? what could go wrong with this plan?

    at my last gig, i had to submit to exhaustive background checks, including a consumer history report. this was so i could work in a lab. additionally, i did so as a contractor with no rights, no PTO, and a definite end date. and this is for a highly skilled job requiring multiple degrees. there is something seriously wrong with the current state of worker rights; we've taken a massive step backwards. i'm aware that those who still have steady, secure jobs don't think a lot about this stuff, but remember : your kids are entering or will soon enter this reality, and if they get nailed for any kind of indiscretion post 18, game over.
    I believe you adequately summed up what I was attempting to say earlier in this thread. I brought into the conversation the HR department being the crux of this issue. I have in the past had hiring managers tell me how to bypass their HR departments so they could actually speak to me. If HR is being a roadblock to employment, and not a facilitator of, then they have become, as I stated, a huge hindrance to the economy, as they alone are creating a class of citizens that are permanently unemployable.

    Taken your point further, what about people with misdemeanors (often times falsely charged and/or accused, or stuck with bad lawyers)? Many employers screen and block on that alone, even though it is no indication of someone's ability to adequately perform the duties and requirements of the job.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/wo...pagewanted=all

    And where do people with a checkered past go for employment, assuming they have turned themselves around and cannot find work?
    More often than not, back to criminal activity.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •