View Poll Results: Should religious tolerance be part of our foreign policy

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    6 31.58%
  • no

    5 26.32%
  • It already is

    7 36.84%
  • No opinion

    1 5.26%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

  1. #41
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by waas View Post
    It's not that uncommon. There are pretty legitimate reasons to feel negatively towards organised religion, but sadly there are people that take this as far as intolerance - it's not inappropriate to include myself in this category, as well.
    Just saying.............first time I've seen an avowed atheist here at DP admit as much.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Riding a tapir
    Last Seen
    01-27-13 @ 10:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,432
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Just saying.............first time I've seen an avowed atheist here at DP admit as much.
    DP's fairly conservative and not really the least intellectual forum on the web, so people who do tend to be hit by the storm.

  3. #43
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by waas View Post
    DP's fairly conservative and not really the least intellectual forum on the web, so people who do tend to be hit by the storm.
    The "storm" blows both ways. Stick around a while and you'll see what I mean. The Rabid Atheists are always here..........lurking............waiting.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  4. #44
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    When one nation is negotiating with another nation on issues you are considering you’re not is the streets like you suggest. One small team is negotiating with another. If there is no respect between the teams that have the power you are not going to get anywhere that works for us or them. You are suggesting that we negotiate in the streets, that doesn’t work in any situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Predominantly Muslim nations trade with us on a regular basis......all the while knowing that the US harbors a degree of intolerance or even disdain towards the more radical elements of Islam or perhaps even for Islam in general, depending on which US public officials you talk with. Many have made the claim that US foreign policy under Bush wasn't necessarily "Muslim Friendly" (I don't disagree)..........but did it stop those nations from willingly doing a great deal of business with the US..........no.

    You see, my original point was that the only religion that really matters when targeting foreign policy, is the "Church of the Almighty Dollar." Our Foreign policy goals should be centered on Economic interests, as well as security interests which directly impact the US and its citizens.

    Going into negotions with our hands stuck out, trying to convince another nation that we Americans are all a bunch of completely tolerant folks, ready to fully trust and to embrace their foreign ways and beliefs with fervor is just......well........is being dishonest. Any world leader with access to the internet and a shred of common sense would identify these lame gestures as patronizing.

    Do we tell them how much we love them anyway? Sure we do.....for PR reasons and to be Politically Correct.....especially during an election year. Does anyone with sense recognize it as nothing more than patronizing?........I should hope so. The REAL foreign policy negotiations begin when both side begin to lay NUMBERS down on the table.

    In an ideal world, your argument may hold water..............but you should remove the rose colored glasses for a moment and see foreign policy, and international diplomacy/negotiations for what they truly are.

    Obama has already used this "We are tolerant" approach with Ahmadinejad. How well has it worked? Has it stopped the threats and hate speech from Iranian leaders or has it changed the hearts and minds of the Iranian people? Come on, be completely honest. How comfortable would you feel walking the backstreets of Tehran with your arms open wide sharing with all you meet that you are a tolerant American?

    The world needs idealists like you......the US just doesn't need them designing our foreign policies.

  5. #45
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    Also , in my opinion I wanted to add, apart from my post #29 ...that tolerance should be granted to religions only when their philosophy and ethics are acceptable in our civilized world and when inhumane, barbaric, antisocial practices are not acts of faith.
    Well, there goes organised religion then - wave bye byes!
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  6. #46
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    When one nation is negotiating with another nation on issues you are considering you’re not is the streets like you suggest. One small team is negotiating with another. If there is no respect between the teams that have the power you are not going to get anywhere that works for us or them. You are suggesting that we negotiate in the streets, that doesn’t work in any situation.
    I think you missed my point.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  7. #47
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Well, there goes organised religion then - wave bye byes!
    Hardly, a perfect example is that any religious practice that precludes recognition of humane treatment, equal rights for all including women such as that included when applying sharia law would fall under Mya's definition of "inhumane, barbaric, antisocial practices".

  8. #48
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    You are qualifying faith. You are writing that there is acceptable faith and unacceptable faith when it is judged by a rational thinking. Also, you are indicating that there is unacceptable faith when it is judged by rational thinking. However, by definition faith does not require rational thinking. In fact, when it comes to faith rational thinking is discouraged. You are saying there is acceptable faith and unacceptable faith. Many that have no faith may meet your requirements.
    September 11th. An anniversary of what faith did to us when it is not rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    Also , in my opinion I wanted to add, apart from my post #29 ...that tolerance should be granted to religions only when their philosophy and ethics are acceptable in our civilized world and when inhumane, barbaric, antisocial practices are not acts of faith.

  9. #49
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by listener View Post
    That is thev question?
    It should be a no brainer....you can't really be effective in foreign policy without religious or cultural tolerance.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  10. #50
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    don't really understand the question
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •