View Poll Results: Should religious tolerance be part of our foreign policy

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    6 31.58%
  • no

    5 26.32%
  • It already is

    7 36.84%
  • No opinion

    1 5.26%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

  1. #21
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    Your analysis process is simple and obvious, but not correct. Here is a simple situation: If you were going to meet with the leadership of another nation; and, some of those leaders were Jews; and, the Jews knew that you did not respect them for the stupid error of their religion in your opinion; you are saying it would not matter.
    Here is a simple example of your thinking process: I canít pound in nails with a pair of slip-joint pliers; therefore, pliers are not a useful tool.
    Predominantly Muslim nations trade with us on a regular basis......all the while knowing that the US harbors a degree of intolerance or even disdain towards the more radical elements of Islam or perhaps even for Islam in general, depending on which US public officials you talk with. Many have made the claim that US foreign policy under Bush wasn't necessarily "Muslim Friendly" (I don't disagree)..........but did it stop those nations from willingly doing a great deal of business with the US..........no.

    You see, my original point was that the only religion that really matters when targeting foreign policy, is the "Church of the Almighty Dollar." Our Foreign policy goals should be centered on Economic interests, as well as security interests which directly impact the US and its citizens.

    Going into negotions with our hands stuck out, trying to convince another nation that we Americans are all a bunch of completely tolerant folks, ready to fully trust and to embrace their foreign ways and beliefs with fervor is just......well........is being dishonest. Any world leader with access to the internet and a shred of common sense would identify these lame gestures as patronizing.

    Do we tell them how much we love them anyway? Sure we do.....for PR reasons and to be Politically Correct.....especially during an election year. Does anyone with sense recognize it as nothing more than patronizing?........I should hope so. The REAL foreign policy negotiations begin when both side begin to lay NUMBERS down on the table.

    In an ideal world, your argument may hold water..............but you should remove the rose colored glasses for a moment and see foreign policy, and international diplomacy/negotiations for what they truly are.

    Obama has already used this "We are tolerant" approach with Ahmadinejad. How well has it worked? Has it stopped the threats and hate speech from Iranian leaders or has it changed the hearts and minds of the Iranian people? Come on, be completely honest. How comfortable would you feel walking the backstreets of Tehran with your arms open wide sharing with all you meet that you are a tolerant American?

    The world needs idealists like you......the US just doesn't need them designing our foreign policies.
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 09-09-12 at 08:17 PM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  2. #22
    User listener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-22-13 @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    52

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    I see it more as encouragement of religion to religion encounters not as a means of conversion but finding ways to work together for common good from a religious standpoint as in fighting hunger or better health care for all.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Well it hasn't been very "helpful" since Obama has been in the control room..........and he even bowed to the leader of Iran...... on camera.
    It was not the Iranian leader, but the Saudi Arabian one,

    The same one GWB took a stroll down a flowery path hand in hand and gave a kiss on the check to
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  4. #24
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    I stand corrected and I'm no Bush apologist either. 12 years of inept leadership.......and counting.
    Just 12

    I would have thought you would have included Clinton in that
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  5. #25
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    I stand corrected. I must have been thinking of his formal apology to Iran for the burning of Korans:

    The American Spectator : The Spectacle Blog : Another Obama Apology

    And BTW, I'm no Bush apologist either. 12 years of inept leadership......and counting.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  6. #26
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Just 12

    I would have thought you would have included Clinton in that
    Clinton was a capable enough President..........especially compared to his two successors. I give props where they're due.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Of course, religious tolerance must be part....it has to be an integral part and it may be to an extent..
    Is not Islam the world's "largest" religion ?
    And Judaism and Christianity are two small religions on the world level..
    Actually, Christianity is the largest with 2.0-2.2 billion people professing it (accounts all Christian denominations). Islam has 1.5-1.6 billion followers (accounting all Islamic denominations).
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #28
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by listener View Post
    I see it more as encouragement of religion to religion encounters not as a means of conversion but finding ways to work together for common good from a religious standpoint as in fighting hunger or better health care for all.
    The problem with this approach is, the US prides itself on "separating church and state." The Federal govt can't give special concessions, legally, to any particular religion within our own borders..........how is it that the govt can compromise that policy and cater to a particular religion when dealing with foreign policy? Seems quite hypocritical to me. And before you get going champ, you can say we could "implement tolerance toward ALL religions.......but everyone knows that we're talking specifically of Islam. Just look at Obama's/Bush's actions, as referenced above and you have all the evidence you need
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Strange OP question.

    Shall we tolerate Islamists religious fundamentalists? who believe in the 7 virgins awaiting for them in Heaven if they bomb themselves killing hundreds?

    Nope, we shall not.

  10. #30
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Should religious tolerance be a part of ouir foreign policy

    Quote Originally Posted by listener View Post
    Suspicion goes back hundreds of years between Christians and Islamist and part of the Israeli Palestine problem has to do with apparent hatred between Jews and Arabs. Problems between Sunni and Shia Islamist is a source of much M E unrest. I do not think we should try to tell others what to believe but believe that our being a leader in trying to break down conflict based on religious differences could be helpful.
    As far as I know the US does not dictate religious belief to anyone.

    Do you have any sources to back up your assertion?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •