View Poll Results: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, drastically

    64 68.09%
  • Yes, just slightly

    12 12.77%
  • I don't know

    4 4.26%
  • No, the current situation is fine

    2 2.13%
  • No, even more troops should be deployed overseas

    12 12.77%
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 181

Thread: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

  1. #61
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING

    Right now the US military has:

    90,000+ troops in Afghanistan
    50,000+ troops in Germany
    35,000+ troops in Japan
    28,000+ troops in South Korea
    15,000+ troops in Kuwait
    10,000+ troops in Italy
    9,000+ troops in the UK
    etc.

    These troops are deployed for a variety of reasons. Most of these countries are in strategic locations (West Germany was our frontline against the Soviets), but the Cold War is long over. I think our deployments are quite excessive. In fact, I think that at least 90% of these soldiers should be brought home. I'm curious what other users think about this.


    Also the source for these numbers, from the Department of Defense itself, is here:

    http://siadapp.dmdc.osd.mil/personne...ry/hst1112.pdf
    Just for the record, the United States has cut back quite a bit in Europe since the end of the Cold War. There were about 300,000 troops in Europe, now it is just a fraction of that. Here is just an example of some of the base reductions over the years in Germany:

    Should the US reduce its global military presence?-w-germany-jpg

  2. #62
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Porchev View Post
    Just for the record, the United States has cut back quite a bit in Europe since the end of the Cold War. There were about 300,000 troops in Europe, now it is just a fraction of that. Here is just an example of some of the base reductions over the years in Germany:

    Should the US reduce its global military presence?-w-germany-jpg
    The reason for the cutbacks is pretty obvious in the maps. East Germany? Now, it's just Germany.

    And, as for the remaining troops, what are they accomplishing in post cold war Germany?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #63
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    AN obvious yes. We have troops in soverign nations when they are at peace. There is no point in doing so and is a waste of money
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

  4. #64
    Student comedy4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    georgia
    Last Seen
    12-28-12 @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    204
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING

    Right now the US military has:

    90,000+ troops in Afghanistan
    50,000+ troops in Germany
    35,000+ troops in Japan
    28,000+ troops in South Korea
    15,000+ troops in Kuwait
    10,000+ troops in Italy
    9,000+ troops in the UK
    etc.

    These troops are deployed for a variety of reasons. Most of these countries are in strategic locations (West Germany was our frontline against the Soviets), but the Cold War is long over. I think our deployments are quite excessive. In fact, I think that at least 90% of these soldiers should be brought home. I'm curious what other users think about this.


    Also the source for these numbers, from the Department of Defense itself, is here:

    http://siadapp.dmdc.osd.mil/personne...ry/hst1112.pdf
    Watch ďa world without USĒ itís the best explanation I have ever seen.
    COMEDY 4 ALL! it's a life Philosophy.

    Chuck Norris once got bit by a king cobra. after five days of agonizing pain, the cobra died!

  5. #65
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    I am one of the few who seem to agree with Ron Pauls foreign policy stance and that is stay the hell out of other countries business and stop trying to police (aka manipulate) the world.
    What about our oil in the middle east?

  6. #66
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    What about our oil in the middle east?
    What about our oil in Alaska and off the coasts of California and Florida..........DRILL IT! (and forget Mid Eastern Oil........at least for a while)
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  7. #67
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    What about our oil in the middle east?
    Our oil?

    How about using the natural gas that really is ours to run our vehicles?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #68
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    What about our oil in the middle east?
    Its not "our" oil as far as I am concerned. The US and its people could probably reduce our oil consumption by a very large percentage (My guess 70%) if the people only set their minds to it. Sure It would require some lifestyle changes and sacrificing some luxury but in my view that is something we should be doing anyway, we are way to wasteful. We also have a lot of untapped oil on our own soil that we could retrieve.

  9. #69
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    Its not "our" oil as far as I am concerned. The US and its people could probably reduce our oil consumption by a very large percentage (My guess 70%) if the people only set their minds to it. Sure It would require some lifestyle changes and sacrificing some luxury but in my view that is something we should be doing anyway, we are way to wasteful. We also have a lot of untapped oil on our own soil that we could retrieve.
    People will never voluntarily lower their standard of living. That's just a fact of life.

    We need to switch towards renewables. Unfortunately the only electric cars that have been released so far cost upwards of $90,000. The first car company that can produce an affordable and reliable electric car for under $40,000 that can go 400+ miles without recharging will be raking in the dough.

  10. #70
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    What about our oil in Alaska and off the coasts of California and Florida..........DRILL IT! (and forget Mid Eastern Oil........at least for a while)
    But our trading partners in the civilized world are dependent on Muslim oil, which finances the jihad. So it has to be confiscated by the importing nations. We are heading for a collapse like the fall of the Roman Empire unless we form an alliance against the Third World, so the U.S and Russia should join in on the partition of the oilfields and bankrupt Islam before it bankrupts the developed, evolutionarily advanced world.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •