View Poll Results: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, drastically

    64 68.09%
  • Yes, just slightly

    12 12.77%
  • I don't know

    4 4.26%
  • No, the current situation is fine

    2 2.13%
  • No, even more troops should be deployed overseas

    12 12.77%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 181

Thread: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

  1. #171
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    China doesn't want NK to collapse and to unite with the south as a democracy allied with the United States.
    This is completely false. Read this article:

    WikiLeaks row: China wants Korean reunification, officials confirm | World news | The Guardian

  2. #172
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    China wants it's neighbor to ditch it's dictator and embrace a democratic form of government? Hard to believe after watching video of the Tianamen Square Massacre.

  3. #173
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    China wants it's neighbor to ditch it's dictator and embrace a democratic form of government? Hard to believe after watching video of the Tianamen Square Massacre.
    Tienanmen Square was in 1989. That article was written in 2010. Things can change in 21 years, you know. But of course you're free to believe whatever you want.

    And of course Tienanmen Square had nothing to do with China's foreign policy.

  4. #174
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    Tienanmen Square was in 1989. That article was written in 2010. Things can change in 21 years, you know. But of course you're free to believe whatever you want.

    And of course Tienanmen Square had nothing to do with China's foreign policy.
    Do you think the current leaders of China want democratic elections in their own country where candidates would be elected to a legislative body and a president/prime minister would be elected? And I'm not talking about phony elections like they have in Cuba.

    What has China done to democracy in Hong Kong?

    Do the leaders of China want the Chinese people to see democracy as a preferred form of government?

  5. #175
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    Do you think the current leaders of China want democratic elections in their own country where candidates would be elected to a legislative body and a president/prime minister would be elected? And I'm not talking about phony elections like they have in Cuba.

    What has China done to democracy in Hong Kong?

    Do the leaders of China want the Chinese people to see democracy as a preferred form of government?
    All of these questions are irrelevant to the discussion. We're talking about Chinese foreign policy, not domestic policy. Hong Kong belongs to China now so that falls under domestic policy.

  6. #176
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    All of these questions are irrelevant to the discussion. We're talking about Chinese foreign policy, not domestic policy. Hong Kong belongs to China now so that falls under domestic policy.
    If all the kids in your neighborhood have Air Jordan shoes, then your child wants Air Jordan shoes.

    If all your neighbors have democratic elections, then you want democratic elections.

  7. #177
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    If all the kids in your neighborhood have Air Jordan shoes, then your child wants Air Jordan shoes.

    If all your neighbors have democratic elections, then you want democratic elections.
    That's a pretty ridiculous thing to assume.

  8. #178
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    That's a pretty ridiculous thing to assume.
    So do you also think it was ridiculous that Americans didn't want communism spreading towards the United States?

  9. #179
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    So do you also think it was ridiculous that Americans didn't want communism spreading towards the United States?
    Actually yes, I do think that. The red scare was BEYOND ridiculous. We never should have interfered in Korea, Vietnam, Chile, or Afghanistan (when the Soviets invaded), etc.

  10. #180
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Should the US reduce its global military presence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    That's a pretty ridiculous thing to assume.
    although roughly put, that is actually a pretty fair assessment. China has a vested interest in limiting the spread of liberal democracy in the region that it anticipates extending hegemony over in the next few decades.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •