View Poll Results: Most responsible for political untruthfulness

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Politicians and only them

    4 16.67%
  • public, not wanting to hear thr naked truth

    10 41.67%
  • both parties contribute about eqyally

    10 41.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

  1. #11
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by listener View Post
    Sad to say I think it is the public (most of us) for not seekung the truth whatever it is and hearing what we want to hear as in thinking there may be somethong for nothing.
    Ultimately all our problems, lack of government control, etc all comes down to the laziness and ineptitude of the People.

    "I apprehend no danger to our country from a foreign foe . . . Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger. I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing. Make them intelligent, and they will be vigilant; give them the means of detecting the wrong, and they will apply the remedy.”
    ― Daniel Webster
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #12
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    In addition, sad to say, that most voters, get their "facts" from television. Television is a horrible source for unvarnished truth.

    This is the Age of Information and unfortunately, people for whatever reason - laziness, no critical thinking skills, low reading comprehension - are going to get their "news" the easiest way possible. Television "news" is infotainment and very often it is more fact like than factual. Certainly there's little depth involved.

    Never before could so many people be so easily manipulated by information source. Marshall McLuhan's words were prophetic, "The medium is the message." Full on here in the Age of Information television validates what is seen and heard on television. If you are reading this you the exception to the rule. Most people don't discuss politics on internet forums. Most people do not cross check the news they see on television or hear on the radio. Most Americans rely on television as their prime "news" source and yet are constantly upset that television news sources other than their personal favorite are biased. LOL!

    Both political parties are aware of the the severe limitations and of the willful ignorance of the American public. They know because they research it and study it and they measure it. They tell us incomplete truths, half truths. The misdirect information. They provide information in bits for specific purposes. They misinform and they disinform and a hell of a lot more. Pretty much most of what you see, hear and read is an illusion orchestrated by masters in the field of mass communications. Very, very little comes from government without careful planning. The most innocuous announcement from the most obscure government source at the most innocent time has a purpose and reason for its release.

    Government and both political parties lead the public like a cow with a ring in its nose.
    I could not agree with this any more.

    This thread has made me remember something that Bill Moyers said while he was being interviewed. He said he stopped interviewing politicians many years ago because of a seriers of particular bad interviews. He found it impossible to get hard answers and noticed a pattern of dodging that became evident. Like they were all coached be the same person, even if they were from different parties. That was the moment Bill decided that he it would be best he avoid the lot of them rather than aiding them in present their pandering generalities. If we had more reporters like Bill, we'd be a much more informed society.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  3. #13
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    In addition, sad to say, that most voters, get their "facts" from television. Television is a horrible source for unvarnished truth.

    This is the Age of Information and unfortunately, people for whatever reason - laziness, no critical thinking skills, low reading comprehension - are going to get their "news" the easiest way possible. Television "news" is infotainment and very often it is more fact like than factual. Certainly there's little depth involved.

    Never before could so many people be so easily manipulated by information source. Marshall McLuhan's words were prophetic, "The medium is the message." Full on here in the Age of Information television validates what is seen and heard on television. If you are reading this you the exception to the rule. Most people don't discuss politics on internet forums. Most people do not cross check the news they see on television or hear on the radio. Most Americans rely on television as their prime "news" source and yet are constantly upset that television news sources other than their personal favorite are biased. LOL!

    Both political parties are aware of the the severe limitations and of the willful ignorance of the American public. They know because they research it and study it and they measure it. They tell us incomplete truths, half truths. The misdirect information. They provide information in bits for specific purposes. They misinform and they disinform and a hell of a lot more. Pretty much most of what you see, hear and read is an illusion orchestrated by masters in the field of mass communications. Very, very little comes from government without careful planning. The most innocuous announcement from the most obscure government source at the most innocent time has a purpose and reason for its release.

    Government and both political parties lead the public like a cow with a ring in its nose.

    yup this too...well said risky

  4. #14
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,386

    Re: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

    Political parties requiring the conformance to party policy instead of representing their districts.

  5. #15
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by listener View Post
    Sad to say I think it is the public (most of us) for not seekung the truth whatever it is and hearing what we want to hear as in thinking there may be somethong for nothing.
    It takes two to tango.As long as the public are stupid enough to believe lies and vote for politicians based on those lies the politicians will continue to lie.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #16
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,303

    Re: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

    If ever a thread demonstrated what this post is really about, you need only go to

    "Thread: US Treasury Confirms that Al Qaeda Runs Syrian “Rebellion” by 24107"

    Relate the information in the link in the thread and it becomes obvious where the problem lies. This is about the dissemination of a major falsehood, an associated timeline, and the major culprit. Take a look.

  7. #17
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,804

    Re: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I could not agree with this any more.

    This thread has made me remember something that Bill Moyers said while he was being interviewed. He said he stopped interviewing politicians many years ago because of a seriers of particular bad interviews. He found it impossible to get hard answers and noticed a pattern of dodging that became evident. Like they were all coached be the same person, even if they were from different parties. That was the moment Bill decided that he it would be best he avoid the lot of them rather than aiding them in present their pandering generalities. If we had more reporters like Bill, we'd be a much more informed society.
    Moyers is old school and what a breath of fresh air he is. I hope they refer to him and use his example of real journalism in J-schools these days. There aren't many left in the US like Moyers. Honestly, I don't think broadcast networks want the likes of Moyers. He is a thinking person's newsman. He not an entertainer.

    A brilliant philosopher of media was Canadian Marshall McLuhan. This discussion is going to prompt me to return to read McLuhan. It is simply amazing that so much of what he believed has now come to be.

    "Politics will eventually be replaced by imagery. The politician will be only too happy to abdicate in favor of his image, because the image will be much more powerful than he could ever be." ~ McLuhan

  8. #18
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,458
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Moyers is old school and what a breath of fresh air he is. I hope they refer to him and use his example of real journalism in J-schools these days. There aren't many left in the US like Moyers. Honestly, I don't think broadcast networks want the likes of Moyers. He is a thinking person's newsman. He not an entertainer.

    A brilliant philosopher of media was Canadian Marshall McLuhan. This discussion is going to prompt me to return to read McLuhan. It is simply amazing that so much of what he believed has now come to be.

    "Politics will eventually be replaced by imagery. The politician will be only too happy to abdicate in favor of his image, because the image will be much more powerful than he could ever be." ~ McLuhan
    Like you, I can't say enough about Bill. Today, I'm afraid journalists of his ilk are a rare breed, unfortunately.

    I'm embarassed to say I know nothing about Marshall McLuhan. I'll look him up.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    I think it's deeper than that. We have evolved into a society that hires politicians to tell us the lies we want to hear. Each campaign, we get a choice as to the type of narrative we want to be fed for the next term, and then we vote based on which narrative we want to keep hearing.
    Completely on target.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    Adam Shepard

  10. #20
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    05-23-16 @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27

    Re: Most responsible for politicians lack of truthfulness?

    The one fact that should be mentioned

    No matter what a politician wants to accomplish .
    he or she must convince voters to vote for him or her.
    That means saying what what will help them to win

    the above statement
    is something a politician said 60 years ago When I was a student
    Last edited by nntwored12; 09-06-12 at 08:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •