View Poll Results: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Of course I'm better off than the great bush recession.

    25 71.43%
  • No way. The bush great recession was good for me. I was one of the 13% that approved when he left.

    10 28.57%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43

Thread: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

  1. #31
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

    I'm better off but I'm poor. I don't have much to lose. In fact, by most measures I don't even qualify as middle class. And I work a full time job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

    yeah, i'm better off...no credit goes to any president though.. or any politician.

    now if Obama can put stop to this whole aging thing, I'll be much better off and he might get my vote.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

    I think you could make the case that the country seems better off today simply because we are not in recession. But we have a debt that was $10,000,000,000,000 four years ago and is $16,000,000,000,000 today. We have trillion dollar annual deficits that have to be addressed and the FED still running emergency accomodations. So without all the deficits and money printing, where would we be? In recession. So many people still have the feeling that while things appear better, there are still massive problems and uncertainty surrounding the US economy and our future. For all his talk and claims of improving things, Obama has simply masked the problem by heaping on debt--alleviating the symptoms but causing a new and potentially greater ailment. Austerity in the form of higher interest rates, higher taxes and drastically reduced government spending are coming. They will either be phased in voluntarily or imposed upon us by reality. Hope for the former.

    The reason polls show so many people dont feel better off now is because the equity in their homes has been wiped out and has not recovered under Obama, incomes have not grown much and the cost of everything else has. Low interest rates have hurt savers, retirees and pensions and has done little to benefit the consumer. So while the panic of the recession has passed, optimism for the future is not there.

  4. #34
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

    Perhaps we should target specific groups with the whole "are you better off 4 years later" question. The answers, if we analyze each targeted group honestly, may tell us quite a bit about the "effectiveness" of the Obama administration. For example.......

    are those who were at/below the poverty line 4 yrs ago doing better?

    are those who were small business owners 4 yrs ago doing better?

    is Corporate America doing better?

    are those who were considered Middle-class 4yrs ago doing better?

    is public education doing better?

    is the housing market doing better?

    are prices any more stable today than 4 yrs ago?

    is the Middle East any more stable than it was 4 yrs ago?

    are the Uber Wealthy doing better?

    and here comes the big one....

    IS THE US GOVERNMENT DOING ANY BETTER? (meaning have its revenues and expenditure increased, has it grown in size and in employment, has its regulatory power increased, and has its influence over the everyday lives of citizens grown)? I think we can all figure out the answer to this last one without doing a great deal of research.


    And let us not forget........didn't the Dems have a super-majority (filibuster-proof) in Congress during Obama's first year in office? The Dems essentially had a "blank check" to push any new reform through. And what did they push through......1. Did away with DontAskDontTell, 2. Cash for Clunkers, 3. The Failed "Stimulus" Bill..........Wow! That's what we got?............. Go back and look at what FDR was able to accomplish in just his First Hundred Days.

    Obama is an Empty Suit and the establishment Democrats in Congress are beholden to Special Interest Groups and nothing more.
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 09-08-12 at 12:30 PM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  5. #35
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    Skewed numbers for several reasons, you're counting the ARRA as a one time, singular expenditure, when in fact it was riddled with tax credits, subsidies, and outright cuts not to be realized until businesses saw the need to expand, not to mention the gradual pace of the infrastructure projects contained within the bill. All in all the total deficit for the year 2009 was 1.4 trillion in total. That, in addition to the plunging revenues that accompanied the housing collapse, renders 2009 a inapproriate measure.
    How so? When the POTUS is advocating for MORE spending, his budgets propose LESS fiscal discipline, and he honestly believes his stimulus did a good job, how can you honestly think that he would have suddenly changed course and gained fiscal restraint? Personally, I believe that is naive. As soon as the stimulus hit he immediately started his "invest in roads and bridges" rhetoric that he's been spitting since he took office.
    On a side note, but in the same ballpark, I also got a brochure from Dish Network today saying that I could get internet in my home (if I don't have it already) for $39.95 a month for 5 years. That's a locked in price, no inflation, no price increases, no installation fees, no contract, no activation fee, and no monthly equipment fee. Guess who's paying for that? If you guessed taxpayers, you are correct. It even says in bold letters "Paid for by the American Recovery Act" on the cover. That's the crap President Obama spends money on. I don't see how you can honestly sit back and believe that someone who thinks that is a good idea would not have run up the debt that I estimated.
    Last edited by MarineTpartier; 09-08-12 at 08:33 PM.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #36
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    How so?
    Edited for brevity, simply put, flawed math. The deficits for the years 2009 and 2010 totaled around 3 trillion dollars, which would demand that the remaining two years incur deficits totaling around 2.5 trillion per calendar year just to meet your minimum assertions, which belies just about any factual conclusions regarding revenue streams, proposed spending bills, and logic in general.

  7. #37
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    Edited for brevity, simply put, flawed math. The deficits for the years 2009 and 2010 totaled around 3 trillion dollars, which would demand that the remaining two years incur deficits totaling around 2.5 trillion per calendar year just to meet your minimum assertions, which belies just about any factual conclusions regarding revenue streams, proposed spending bills, and logic in general.
    So, you would have guessed that he spend in 3 years what the previous POTUS spent in 8 even considering that the previous POTUS had his own bailout, embarked upon a two front war, and expanded the size of gov't at roughly the same rate? I sure would not have guessed that and I didn't vote for him. To me, there is no limit as to what President Obama would spend. Both us, admittedly, are basing our conclusions upon assumptions. However, there is much more evidence to back my assumption than yours. You claim that he would not have spent up to $18 trillion where I believe he would have spent to that, at minimum, with a Democrat controlled Congress. Seeing as how we have hit roughly $16 trillion, from roughly $10 trillion, in a 4 year period I believe the basic math of it favors my assumption. You have no basis to conclude that the guy would have stopped spending money based upon the sample time in which Dems controlled the Congress. His nor President Bush's stimulus did much to help the economy. President Obama has stated that he would pass another stimulus. If the last one didn't work, the new one would have to be much more money. Perhaps double.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #38
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    03-19-13 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    937

    Re: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

    A little bias but gets the point across to those 13%

  9. #39
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    I believe the basic math of it favors my assumption
    Nah, man sorry, it just doesn't add up. The first two years were a Democratically controlled congress, and the deficits incurred don't even begin to sniff your projections, even when taking into account the heaviest job losses taking place, the majority of the TARP and ARRA funds being realized and placed into circulation, and an conflict in Iraq that was still going strong. The only notable spending bill in the same zip code as the ARRA proposed in the past year and a half was the JOBS act (The second stimulus of which you speak of ), which was proposed alongside offsetting revenues which would dampen it's cost significantly. Your projections don't even look feasible at a mere glance.

  10. #40
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are you better off right now than 4 years ago?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    Your projections don't even look feasible at a mere glance.
    Neither did a $16 trillion debt back in 2008 when then Senator Obama said he'd cut the deficit by half, but here we sit. Sorry bro, but you can try to argue math with me all you want. I don't believe President Obama has a fiscally conservative bone in his body. I think he would have spent us into oblivion had he been given the opportunity. $18 trillion would not have been hard to get to considering we're already at $16 trillion now with a couple of months to go before November.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •