View Poll Results: Should we pay for Sandra Fluke's birth control?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 35.90%
  • No

    50 64.10%
Page 67 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 811

Thread: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

  1. #661
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's not a strawman, you are using a media group article to argue with a former professional in the field. I couldn't care less what their opinions are.
    I'm using a media group to bring up polling data. Both your opinions and theirs are irrelevant. You still haven't addressed any of my arguments.

  2. #662
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schutzengel View Post
    Well for one, if it isnt medically indicated, then insurance companies shouldnt be forced by mandate to pay for it ... it should be elective coverage.
    Um... did you actually read the sentence you were responding to? I said the prescription was medically indicated. So, like, the opposite of what you just said.

  3. #663
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Birth control = less or no babies, you are the one saying "birth control is a benefit to society", well guess what, we are in a negative birth period in U.S. history right now, IOW we are not replacing ourselves at a sufficient rate. I don't think that it's my business to tell people whether or not they should start a family but I am NOT responsible for the direction they choose, nor for funding it.
    Not necessarily...it could equal the same amount of babies just raised in the right environment for the to succeeed.

    There is a cost to you and society for any decision made. The thing about this policy requiring INSURANCE companies to cover the cost of birth control pills....just like they do for limp dick pills....is that it provides an added amount of control and makes it easier for women to decide when the right time for them to have a child. Our biology isn't keeping up with the advancement of modern society. Sure when you worked at a farm and got married at 15 popping out 10 kids before the age of 25 was pretty useful.

    Now not so much!
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  4. #664
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You're right it's not equal, but the fact that such practices are not only out there, they are apparently common, does open the door for such mandates. Especially when the "elective treatment" being discussed happens to be one that is often not covered even when deemed medically necessary by a doctor due to those practices.
    Most companies will not deny coverage when a physician makes the case correctly, however there are unethical companies. That said denying critical care coverage is not an argument for mandating electives. Not even close to in the same ballpark.

    As far as the mandate goes, I'm relatively agnostic, to be honest. My biggest issue in this debate is the nonsense about having to pay for other people's contraception based on that mandate. The money that goes into the pool is not your money anymore. You are paying for something you receive, which is healthcare coverage, not for what others receive. That's just a fact of life.
    Tucker, it is not nonsense. The nonsense is the claim that it is cost neutral, it is not, the numbers do not hold up which is why it isn't covered by every company to begin with.

    For example, if I gave you $20 for a service that you provided me, I can't say that I paid for whatever you spend that money on. I spent my money on the service which you provided me. End of story. It's no longer my money, it's your money.
    Not a proper analogy. Tucker, let me explain it again, when you join a risk pool you agree to covered/not covered and you also agree to whatever conditions are contained in the policy. This means you pay to be risked with everyone else agreeing to be in the pool and you pay for the pool, meaning whatever liabilities the company incurs. So no matter what Obama and Sebilius claim YES you do pay for a birth control mandate.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #665
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    What if there are complications during the pregnancy that require special treatment? Does that include the costs of the actual delivery of the infant and hospital stay for the mother and infant? All of these expenses and potential expenses have to be included too, don't you think?
    Not the same thing. Complications are going to be a smaller risk and covered whether there is a maternity rider or not.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #666
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Not necessarily...it could equal the same amount of babies just raised in the right environment for the to succeeed.

    There is a cost to you and society for any decision made. The thing about this policy requiring INSURANCE companies to cover the cost of birth control pills....just like they do for limp dick pills....is that it provides an added amount of control and makes it easier for women to decide when the right time for them to have a child. Our biology isn't keeping up with the advancement of modern society. Sure when you worked at a farm and got married at 15 popping out 10 kids before the age of 25 was pretty useful.

    Now not so much!
    Necessarily, not entertaining this anymore because you aren't even listening.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #667
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    I'm using a media group to bring up polling data. Both your opinions and theirs are irrelevant. You still haven't addressed any of my arguments.
    I worked in the industry, they didn't. Could care less how you weight my opinon.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #668
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I worked in the industry, they didn't. Could care less how you weight my opinon.
    Do you have data that contradicts theirs?

  9. #669
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Do you have data that contradicts theirs?
    Plenty. It's called risk tables.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #670
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Plenty. It's called risk tables.
    And risk tables show that fewer than 58% of women using birth control use it for reasons other than birth control? Do you have a link?

Page 67 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •