View Poll Results: Should we pay for Sandra Fluke's birth control?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 35.90%
  • No

    50 64.10%
Page 65 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 811

Thread: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

  1. #641
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,945

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    I believe that the most important word here is "we". The answer depends so much on who "we" are (Gods that sounds like a Bill Clinton answer). If we (the people on DP) are discussing a private insurance company that pays out it's benefits via the premiums and capitol gains, then my answer is that it is up to the company and you can support or disapprove of the decision by whether or not you are contributing money to that insurance. There are plenty of other insurances to choose from.

    Now if by "we" the OP is referring to the tax payers that changes the answer(s) and then depends on exactly what is it we're being asked to cover. IF we are straight out talking contraceptive only then my answer is no. Likewise I don't think we should be covering for drugs to treat ED either. However, I do recognize that these drugs can treat other things besides ED or preventing pregnancy. If the doctor can show that the drug is being used for such purposes then yes, I am fine with that.

  2. #642
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    It's not the public that will be paying for birth control pills, it's the insurance companys [sic].
    No, it is those who pay for these policies who will be paying for the birth control pills. It is those who pay—whether through premiums or taxes. In other words, the public.
    Last edited by Bob Blaylock; 09-06-12 at 11:33 PM.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  3. #643
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    You have no clue here. It is not cheaper in aggregate numbers, it isn't cheaper when demand for the "freebies" goes up, and either way it's not my responsibility to pay for it, which is what happens in mandated coverage. This isn't religious, it's numbers.
    Basic mathematics, it seems, has become a partisan, far-right principle, rejected by those on the left.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  4. #644
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,602

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    So... what? The women who aren't being prescribed and receiving medically indicated oral contraceptives don't matter anymore? I'm not sure what you think you've established here.
    No. So women that dont have medically prescribed oral contraceptive needs should pay for it themselves. As should men. Insurance is not for "gosh I wanna ****". Homosexuals should pay for their own contraception. Heterosexuals should pay for their own contraception. Men should pay for their own condoms. Women were not medically indicated should pay for whatever form of contraception they choose.

  5. #645
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,460

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    No, it is those who pay for these policies who will be paying for the birth control pills. It is those who pay—whether through premiums or taxes. In other words, the public.
    I'm sure that whatever you pay for your policy and deductables wouldn't begin to cover your healthcare costs if you had to pay out of pocket. So whose footing the bill for the rest of your healthcare? Unless you're on Medicare it isn't the public, it's the insurance companies.

  6. #646
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You forgot what birth control pills are used for I guess. They are used to prevent pregnancy a covered expense.
    Incorrect. Some policies automatically cover pregnacy, others have a maternity rider.
    Pregnancy costs $1000's more than the pill.
    Nope, not in the aggregate. 1 pregnancy, couple thousand, years of birth control dependent upon price AND frequency can be just as much as a single pregnancy. In fact wasn't the major bitch that the pills are expensive and should be covered?

    The fact is you don't care if it is cheaper to cover contraception, it is against your religious beliefs and you wish to impose them on others. You are in the wrong country.
    Incorrect, my argument has rarely centered around religion. It IS about the costs, which are going to add to my premium.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #647
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Because of many inconsistencies in coverage for medically necessary uses. Ignoring physician recommendations, for example. That **** happens quite a bit, for many issues not just medically necessary BC. ****, the insurance company did not want to cover many of my father's treatments when he was in a coma because they decided, without once laying eyes upon him, that he'd never recover from his coma (despite the fact that his doctors were saying that he was close to coming out of it, which they were correct about, BTW).

    It the industry's unethical behavior which leads to these kinds of mandates.
    I've never denied that there are some companies that engage in unethical practices, but your father getting denied coverage is not equal to an elective treatment being mandated for this argument. I can just as easily state that the rate of denials went up with the amount of mandates, when the risk pool has more to cover the providers will find ways to cut costs.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #648
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Go ahead and run with that strawman if it makes you happy. If you'd like to address the arguments I've actually made, feel free to do so. I anticipate being bored at work tomorrow, so I'll need a distraction.
    It's not a strawman, you are using a media group article to argue with a former professional in the field. I couldn't care less what their opinions are.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #649
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,346

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Incorrect. Some policies automatically cover pregnacy, others have a maternity rider. Nope, not in the aggregate. 1 pregnancy, couple thousand, years of birth control dependent upon price AND frequency can be just as much as a single pregnancy. In fact wasn't the major bitch that the pills are expensive and should be covered?

    Incorrect, my argument has rarely centered around religion. It IS about the costs, which are going to add to my premium.
    I'm tired of arguing with someone who is clueless to the real costs of anything. Read what EXPERTS are saying abou the costs of adding BC to policies. Since I have now proven that it saves money, you need to change your opinion and demand that BC be included in all policies to save you money. Since it was always ONLY about the money you are now without any reason to object.


    The truth is that both insurers and employers who self-insure save money in the long run by covering contraception. So much money is saved that it makes financial sense to waive co-pays and deductibles. A 2000 study by the National Business Group on Health estimates that not providing contraceptive coverage in employee health plans winds up costing employers 15% to 17% more than providing such coverage.

    Contraception is expensive only if you think of birth control in terms of the individual woman’s upfront costs, rather than looking long-term at the “net cost” to the insurer and factor in all the dollars saved when customers don’t become pregnant. Think of it this way: If my married daughter lays out a $15 co-pay for birth control pills, she doesn’t save a dime. True, she protects herself against the emotional cost of an unwanted pregnancy, along with the hefty costs of raising a child. But in terms of the costs to give birth to the child, she is not much better off, because if she does become pregnant, her insurer, like many, would pay the bills above and beyond the co-pay.
    Read more: Why Free Birth Control Will Not Hike the Cost of Your Insurance | Moneyland | TIME.com

  10. #650
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I'm tired of arguing with someone who is clueless to the real costs of anything. Read what EXPERTS are saying abou the costs of adding BC to policies.


    Read more: Why Free Birth Control Will Not Hike the Cost of Your Insurance | Moneyland | TIME.com
    I know more than you think, and am not a fan of industry outsiders condescending to me. Pregnancy is a limited expense if covered considering a woman can get pregnant a maximum of once a year, yearly pregnancy is going to be rare. Birth control according to Ms. Fluke was around 3K a year, the average full term delivery is around 7,600, using Fluke's math if a woman has two kids in five years that's around 15,200 but if she has NO kids due to birth control in the same period of time it's 15K. So by that model without childbirth the savings are a whopping 200 dollars to the insurance company, BUT here is the problem you don't understand, and neither does Time magazine, the risk class for multiple consumers using the 3K/yr birth control are weighting the drug coverage UP which means increased premiums within the prescription pool.

    Thanks for playing.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 65 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •