View Poll Results: Should we pay for Sandra Fluke's birth control?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 35.90%
  • No

    50 64.10%
Page 45 of 82 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 811

Thread: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

  1. #441
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,817

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Some might make the argument that if the insurance companies (or government) are going to be 'mandated' to provide non-medically indicated birth control, then why not also soap, mouthwash, toothbrushes, dental floss, Q-tips, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, facial scrubs or any other toiletry? Or for that matter...food is pretty 'medically indicated' as a need...why not force coverage of basic food? Also water...shelter....those should be mandated to be covered. And can we go naked? No...of course not...so clothes and shoes. And lets not forget coats in the winter. And since cell phones are so much a part of everyones lives...a basic cellphone with service as well...just the bare essentials.

    Birth Control that has been medically prescribed is not even in question and never has been. Ms Fluke made an activist appeal regarding 'birth control' to demonstrate a 'war on women' after the government tried to force the Catholic Church to accept contraceptives. It is still ignored that the whole time the argument was being waged, she herself was COVERED by the Catholic school she was attending for medically prescribed birth control. In essence...she said...hey...this isnt a problem, but pretend it was...now...look how evil those bad republicans are for denying me contraceptives...if they actually did deny me contraceptives. Why it is (or rather would be) a war on women!!
    well those some people would be very stupid IMO lol comparing BC to over the counter items, the slipper slope argument almost never works, reminds me of, if we let women vote whats next, we should let dogs vote. not very convincing and very stupid.

    Not saying YOU said any of this just referring to your "some people" comment.

    the other stuff I dont care about and really has no impact on my feelings. I think its a good move to cover BC for the reasons I already said and cant come up with any logical ones to oppose it that really mean anything.

    any "political" agenda on this front is dumb im just going with common sense
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #442
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well Jerry, in that particular post I was speaking more generally.
    Try not to make that mistake again.

  3. #443
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Harry-
    So no insurance for asthma, diabetes, allergies, migraines, cholesterol, high blood pressure...

    Seems an arbitrary line you draw, is it safe to bet your beloved doesn't use birth control?
    Yes- no insurance for routine costs of chronic diseases, but if the disease causes some type of crisis situation (ie respiratory failure, heart attack, stroke), then that is when actual insurance would kick in. Insurance is for the unexpected, not the routine. This is one of the reasons our health care costs have skyrocketed. People expect everything that is wrong with them to be covered by insurance, and chronic care is highly expensive.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #444
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    For many years I was dead set against taxs paying for contraception or abortion...until I worked in an alternative school, where young parents <stated Kindly> were getting pregnant like rodents every 9 months and kids were born crack addicts and not wanted and just given up. So here is what I realized..
    If you pay for contraception, only those responsible enough to take it are going to use the system, if you pay for contraception, then you dont have to pay to raise the unwanted kid or the abortion. Using a Caucasion woman of obviously some means is not the example that should be used to determine if paying for contraception is actually a benefit. Women of all persuasions on the lower economic scale and women with problems...drug addicts, mental disorders and prostitutes etc...are the ones that should be used to compare is it a benefit and/or cost effective in the long run.

  5. #445
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Yes- no insurance for routine costs of chronic diseases, but if the disease causes some type of crisis situation (ie respiratory failure, heart attack, stroke), then that is when actual insurance would kick in. Insurance is for the unexpected, not the routine. This is one of the reasons our health care costs have skyrocketed. People expect everything that is wrong with them to be covered by insurance, and chronic care is highly expensive.
    routine costs for chronic diseases...do you have any clue as to how much an inhaler costs for someone with asthma with no insurance? 'routine cost' is in the neighborhood of 3-400 dollars....but it should cover if it becomes a crisis? emergency room visit, ambulance ride, hospital stay.....thousands of dollars....which is cheaper to cover?

  6. #446
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,625

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Harry-
    I understand separatism, the 'I am only worried about me and mine right now, I don't care about others'.

    Do you buy your insurance as a couple on your own? My wife and I do.

    The advantage of company sponsored insurance is two fold. The Company picks up part of the cost to entice workers and as a group the insurance company offers a better rate than the do my wife and I.

    The one big flaw with highly tailored insurance policies is an illness popping up and it isn't covered by the policy.

    Another flaw in your argument is the term mandate meaning all the cost gets distributed to all the insured. SOME sort of birth control coverage is mandated, not 100% covered by 100% of the insured, you moved the strike zone.

    The example I gave in the worker wanting BC coverage is the company and the insured worker split the cost of The Pill. If the state insurance commission requires all insurance companies bonded in that state to offer that plan it is a mandate but what is the cost to you if you don't choose to participate in BC coverage? Many companies have menus for coverage, there isn't a one plan for all.

    Just out of curiosity, you have a link for the Hawaii 'study'? Fluctuations occur, would love to see how the study was conducted and what years it covered, overall birth rates can vary from many factors to include economic trends...

    But you ducked the question of why all of a sudden this has become an issue when, for many citizens, there is a lot of maintenance drug/equipment treatments covered by insurance for decades.

    Oh and the thing on mental illness, get it, you will never see it coming, trust me on this.

  7. #447
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    routine costs for chronic diseases...do you have any clue as to how much an inhaler costs for someone with asthma with no insurance? 'routine cost' is in the neighborhood of 3-400 dollars....but it should cover if it becomes a crisis? emergency room visit, ambulance ride, hospital stay.....thousands of dollars....which is cheaper to cover?

    One of the reasons why medications have become so expensive, is because they are mandated to be paid for by insurance. The consumer has been removed from the loop, so he/she has no concept of cost. If people had to pay for their own drugs, costs would come down due to market competition.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #448
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    One of the reasons why medications have become so expensive, is because they are mandated to be paid for by insurance. The consumer has been removed from the loop, so he/she has no concept of cost. If people had to pay for their own drugs, costs would come down due to market competition.
    More like people would go without the drugs they need, and would just head to the emergency room when things got bad...ergo, what we have been dealing with forever with people who can't afford healthcare....

  9. #449
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    More like people would go without the drugs they need, and would just head to the emergency room when things got bad...ergo, what we have been dealing with forever with people who can't afford healthcare....
    You're thinking too short term. Market forces work when people have to be cognitive of their costs. The reason so many people can't afford health care is because congressional mandates in the 70's took the consumer out of the equation, and handed the ball to insurance companies and pharmaceutical manufacturers.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #450
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 08:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    You're thinking too short term. Market forces work when people have to be cognitive of their costs. The reason so many people can't afford health care is because congressional mandates in the 70's took the consumer out of the equation, and handed the ball to insurance companies and pharmaceutical manufacturers.
    if that were the case, you would think that insurance companies would be able to negotiate with pharmaceutical manufacturers, logical, yes? the negotiate with hospitals, why not drug makers?

Page 45 of 82 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •