View Poll Results: Should we pay for Sandra Fluke's birth control?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    28 35.90%
  • No

    50 64.10%
Page 29 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 811

Thread: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

  1. #281
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Birth control is really not gender specific though if you really think about it. Men also have to pay for unwanted pregnancies and children. IMO, in this day and age, birth control for all women of fertile age is a necessity, unless we expect them to be abstinent.
    Well, yes, it really is pretty specific. No matter how you slice it and dice it, birth control should be primarily the woman's responsibility, for it is she who can get pregnant, and it is she who can choose to abort, and the man (father or potential father) is pretty much legally barred from having decision-making power.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #282
    Educator Paratrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Al
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    888

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    I don't like the government mandating business to provide certain services. If people feel it is that important they should lobby their insurance to provide this service and if they wont, then find a company that will.
    If the government did mandate providers cover birth control then what is next? Should we force them to cover plastic surgery for ugly people, liposuction for fat people?

    Would you also be upset if the insurance company increased your premium by exactly the same ammount your birth control will cost? It would make sense, after all this isnt a random cost to the company, it will be immediate and contiuous.

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Stupid me! Men also play quite a large role in creating those unwanted pregnancies too. The women are not impregnating themselves after all.

  4. #284
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Henrin-
    That is the otherside of the 'conservative' dodge. The Gawd n Mutha 'conservatives' would see the advantage to keeping women in good health to spawn good children.

    Now to be precise, the ONLY business being forced to provide BC, Breast Exams, PAP smears are the insurance companies.

    To be fair, many women already have BC coverage as they live in states that require some sort of BC coverage, so the 'why should businesses be required' has already been asked and answered for roughly 50% of the US Women.

    Depending on the method of birth control and with no negotiated discounts for it the cost for a month of BC is 30 bucks. If there is a 50% on it then it costs the company two hours wages at minimum wage rates.

    Two hours a month for a much happier and productive female worker. My wife had bad cramps, irregular cycles, tough mood swings. Birth control REALLY helped with cramps, time and duration of period and a bit on mood swings.

    Two hours a month to have women shedding the period problems of the past and not having that OOPS-OH moment that pulls them out of the workforce,(with maternity leave), just after you get them trained.

    Seems a very low cost benefit.
    How many people do you know, that can afford insurance, but can't afford birth control.
    This consistently erroneous leap of logic is pervasive.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Well, yes, it really is pretty specific. No matter how you slice it and dice it, birth control should be primarily the woman's responsibility, for it is she who can get pregnant, and it is she who can choose to abort, and the man (father or potential father) is pretty much legally barred from having decision-making power.
    This is true, but he should take an interest in birth control because he is also responsible for the child, at the very least financially.

  6. #286
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Because it's doesn't flow with the purpose of insurance.
    Frankly, the supposed benefit of reducing abortions and unwanted pregnancies isn't likely to happen because poor females usually can't afford insurance in the first place.
    Plus they already have the option of getting free bc from state health departments.

    This legislation was designed to pander to women.
    Back when I was diagnosed with diabetes 10 years ago my insurance company (Kaiser Permanente) gave supplies such as test strips for free (they're not cheap). They waived their normal co-pay. They said that prevention was cheaper than dealing with the adverse effects of no prevention.

    That lasted about 6 months. It either didn't work out as hoped, or the co-pay money outweighed any noble aspects.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #287
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Henrin-
    That is the otherside of the 'conservative' dodge. The Gawd n Mutha 'conservatives' would see the advantage to keeping women in good health to spawn good children.
    How exactly does birth control keep women in good health. And yes someone has used the "hormonal control" argument, so that becomes a medical necessity, but wouldn't an endocrinologist prescribing a hormone regimen be better than paying for birth control which may or may not help?

    Now to be precise, the ONLY business being forced to provide BC, Breast Exams, PAP smears are the insurance companies.
    And to be even more precise, now thanks to John Roberts being a complete ****ing idiot people are still forced to buy the product or pay a penalty. Those who choose to purchase must pay a monthly premium, and now the formerly optional wellness benfit that 99.5% of the companies already provided minus BC have to weight for the increase in BC claims on policy. Who pays the premium? The woman recieving the mandated BC, the man recieving absolutely no benefit from the mandate, or everyone who has a policy? The answer is C it was rhetorical, so basically men, women who are no longer in their child bearing years, churches, and employers all have to pay for a one statistical catagories specific optional treatment. I don't even want to hear a counterargument of whether or not someone pays for one person's heart attack or cancer because those are generalized and non-specific risk catagories so insuring one person is insuring everyone, not a "catagory".


    To be fair, many women already have BC coverage as they live in states that require some sort of BC coverage, so the 'why should businesses be required' has already been asked and answered for roughly 50% of the US Women.
    And those are probably high premium areas.

    Depending on the method of birth control and with no negotiated discounts for it the cost for a month of BC is 30 bucks. If there is a 50% on it then it costs the company two hours wages at minimum wage rates.
    At least you can admit it cost the company something. Now, what is the multiplier effect on that? IOW, the claim payouts are going to increase on the birth control so they have to be made up for, where do you think that's going to increase?

    Two hours a month for a much happier and productive female worker. My wife had bad cramps, irregular cycles, tough mood swings. Birth control REALLY helped with cramps, time and duration of period and a bit on mood swings.
    BC is not a cure all in that department.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #288
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This is true, but he should take an interest in birth control because he is also responsible for the child, at the very least financially.
    Things sure have changed, and no buts about it, I'm not the most attractive man, but all my sexual partners have required ME to provide the birth control before proceeding.

  9. #289
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This is true, but he should take an interest in birth control because he is also responsible for the child, at the very least financially.
    He is only financially responsible if she has the baby. Agreed, any man should make an effort not to impregnate a woman who does not want to be pregnant, but she is the one whose body will be altered, and she should bear the primary responsibility. To do otherwise, is foolish and/or stupid, if not negligent of her own health and well-being. I get a little tired of hearing about how women want all the rights and privileges, but they want men to share in the blame if the unexpected happens.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #290
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should We Pay for Sandra Fluke's Contraception?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Back when I was diagnosed with diabetes 10 years ago my insurance company (Kaiser Permanente) gave supplies such as test strips for free (they're not cheap). They waived their normal co-pay. They said that prevention was cheaper than dealing with the adverse effects of no prevention.

    That lasted about 6 months. It either didn't work out as hoped, or the co-pay money outweighed any noble aspects.
    They may have found out, that it just wasn't true.
    That the cost of the strips outweigh the preventative savings.

    Maybe because their insured, weren't more likely to use them, whether or not they were free.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 29 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •