View Poll Results: How should welfare be handled?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Welfare should be left to the feds

    4 7.41%
  • Welfares should be left to the states

    18 33.33%
  • Welfare should be managed by both feds & states

    18 33.33%
  • There should be no welfare

    9 16.67%
  • IDK/Other

    5 9.26%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 85

Thread: Welfare

  1. #51
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Welfare

    Cooperation between the feds and the states.


  2. #52
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: Welfare

    Said both fed & states. The nature of welfare is a bit like the nature of insurance. Spread risk. Unemployment for example. Some places are heavily invested in specific industry. For example, if the number one job in your state has ties to auto manufacturing something that hurt that industry would hurt your state a lot more than others. Leaving it strictly at the state level will be a high burden on that state while others may be doing just fine. Rather than driving that state into bankruptcy or ignoring those suffering spreading the risk to all states would help with the funding for that. You're using a more diverse pool of industries and a larger number of people when spreading risk which makes it more predictable and manageable what the total welfare needs are going to be.

    States because the needs vary wildly depending on where you live. The proper welfare to get out of work auto workers back into productive jobs is probably different than the welfare needed to get software developers back into productive jobs. The cost of living is also going to be wildly different depending where you are. Federal programs like the Earned Income Credit are blind to local considerations. Have 3 kids, make $x dollars per year, you get $y dollars of welfare in the form of a tax credit. However the $x dollars and $y dollars can mean totally different things depending on where you live. Tax credits through the IRS are a terrible way to distribute welfare, and will always have high abuse and high fraud simply do to the nature of what you're getting vs. what you have to report. Very easy to make up a fake business or claim your neighbors kids as your own. Instead, allow the actual distribution system rely on states and even more local government agencies.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,570

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I saw something the other day about a raisin farm, turning perfectly good grapes into raisins. Surely there is more money to be made in wine?
    I'm not so sure. Raisin growers around here live in some pretty nice houses.

    (even if the LDS would make wine)
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #54
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I'm not so sure. Raisin growers around here live in some pretty nice houses.

    (even if the LDS would make wine)
    Not the chruch owned farms, but LDS farmers in Idaho grow hops.....pretty sure that hops can only be used for beer...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #55
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    When we're discussing "welfare", just what does that entail? I think most of us would include TANF, and perhaps subsidized housing. Food stamps could be seen as both welfare and agricultural subsidy. Social Security? Is that welfare? Medicare? Medicaid? What is welfare, anyway?
    If you didn't pay directly into it, and it's a benefit that gives you money, services or food because you are poor......I think most everyone considers that welfare. It government charity using tax dollars.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #56
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    So I assume that since the supreme count made corporations "persons". Your point of view also applies to corporations?
    Actually, this is a perfect moment to point out what people have long said about "assuming."

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #57
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    That would include 31 of the 50 states, most of them red states. What states receive more federal tax dollars than they pay in
    I have always found this to be an enigma. They very states that benefit the most from welfare are the red states's who bitch the most about it.

    In my own life's experiences, I have witnessed people who's every check has a treasury seal on it and they depend 100% on the government to feed their lazy asses, sit in their trailer house whining about liberals and welfare.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,570

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    If you didn't pay directly into it, and it's a benefit that gives you money, services or food because you are poor......I think most everyone considers that welfare. It government charity using tax dollars.
    So, that would not include SS, workman's comp, or Medicare, but it would include K-12 education and agricultural subsidies. What about foreign aid? Can foreign nations be welfare recipients as well
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    If you didn't pay directly into it, and it's a benefit that gives you money, services or food because you are poor......I think most everyone considers that welfare. It government charity using tax dollars.

    I generally agree. Government retirements and disability, such as VA, are not welfare. Social Security and Social Security Disability (SSD) we pay into. There are some that get SSD that never paid into SS, true, so maybe they can be considered welfare. Providing for disability of workers is one of the reasons for SS to exist. Unemployment insurance is paid by your employer on your behalf, you don't pay directly, other than by your labor. So, I wouldn't consider Unemployment to be Welfare (except in those states that now everyone, regardless of job paying in to unemployment insurance, get it).

    Helping out the working poor, while welfare, I don't really have a problem with. But then again, all the working poor that I know, cannot get many benefits because they earn too much, even at minimum wage or near it. WIC (Women Infants and Children) food supplement and Medicaid adjusted for pay is all I have ever seen them get. But then again, an enlisted member of the Armed Forces, E-5 and below, married with a child qualifies for WIC.

    When I refer to welfare, it is the people who's only income, housing, etc all come from the government welfare programs, have no jobs (that the government knows about) and are not legitimately disabled.

  10. #60
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, that would not include SS, workman's comp, or Medicare, but it would include K-12 education and agricultural subsidies. What about foreign aid? Can foreign nations be welfare recipients as well
    Education, like law enforcement and fire protection, is a common need. So I would not consider it in anyway "welfare" but rather a legitimate function of government. I do however think we pay way too much for it for the results we get. It is most definitely a corrupted and broken system within our government.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •