View Poll Results: Have you ever received governmrnt assistance?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    45 61.64%
  • No

    22 30.14%
  • My parents did on my behalf when I was a kid

    6 8.22%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 164

Thread: Have you every received some form government assistance?

  1. #111
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Do you own a home? Do you take the mortgage tax deduction?

    The mortgage tax deduction should have been on the list. For many, it is the difference between owning a home and not.
    The whole reason they offer a mortgage tax deduction is to encourage more people to buy houses and thus, pay more property taxes. It's not a government freebie, it's a means to make more money.

    Try again.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #112
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Yes, the government gave me subsidized student loans to attend college and business school. And the government gave my parents a mortgage interest deduction on their taxes.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #113
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Sad thing is? We used to handle that with our families. Now families most often step back -- when they should be stepping up.

    Our parents gave us LIFE, for God's sake. We can't help them out in their golden years? I guess not. If the government won't help them, we'll just have to float them out on icebergs.
    I'll admit, I struggle with this. I don't want my mom living with me. I don't want my mother-in-law living with me. I don't want to ever live with my kids. But... I am aware that this is a selfish attitude, and I am somewhat ashamed for having it. Yet, I still have it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #114
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The whole reason they offer a mortgage tax deduction is to encourage more people to buy houses and thus, pay more property taxes. It's not a government freebie, it's a means to make more money.

    Try again.
    If your point were worthy you wouldn't need the smug and dismissive "try again" crap. The point would stand alone.

    Fact is, regardless any other parallel motivations, it is still a "freebie" to the individual homeowner.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I'll admit, I struggle with this. I don't want my mom living with me. I don't want my mother-in-law living with me. I don't want to ever live with my kids. But... I am aware that this is a selfish attitude, and I am somewhat ashamed for having it. Yet, I still have it.
    My mother isn't going to have a problem. Even though she and my father never made a lot of money, what she did have was well invested and, with a couple of lucky breaks, she's now worth almost $2 million in her late 60s. I helped them set up their investment strategies and 401ks over the years and now, even though my father has been dead for a long time now, she's in good financial shape.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #116
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Fact is, regardless any other parallel motivations, it is still a "freebie" to the individual homeowner.
    There's a difference between a freebie and an incentive.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #117
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I'll admit, I struggle with this. I don't want my mom living with me. I don't want my mother-in-law living with me. I don't want to ever live with my kids. But... I am aware that this is a selfish attitude, and I am somewhat ashamed for having it. Yet, I still have it.
    They don't have to live with you in order for you to help them, Radcen. If they live near you and you're able-bodied, you can help in a myriad of ways. For very little, you can improve their quality of life SO much!! Mom's 85 years old. I pay for her cable every month. I used to pay for someone to clean, but now she pays for it herself through a senior program offered by the State of Illinois. That she never would have known about or investigated or took advantage of had I not stepped in. She gets Meals on Wheels for $60 a month. A really nice hot meal delivered for a charming volunteer who's gotten to know her and adds to her daily social life. She also has a lady who comes two hours every two weeks to straighten up the house, dust and vacuum, and sit and visit with her a while. That costs $28 a month.

    And sometimes? Know what we have to do? We have to remind the old folks that they need to spend some of the money they've saved! A friend used to tell families of moms and dads: "Your parents have been saving all their lives for a rainy day. Honey, it's pourin' outside."

    There are so many senior services out there today, Radcen. States subsidize them because they realize it's much cheaper to do that than it is to have old people give up and enter old peoples' homes at the government's expense.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #118
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Nope, sorry. The people who don't get ahead are the ones without the drive and work ethic to make it.

    If you want to advance in your career, if you're willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead, you can get ahead.
    Or they simply don't find themselves in a condoning work environment. Happens to a great number of industrious, skilled, and ambitious workers. Common knowledge really.

    Bolded for emphasis. Just because one doesn't find themselves in management within 5 years, does not make them an inferior employee, nor does it indicate incompetence. Those of us who operate in the general realm of reality know this to be true.

  9. #119
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    My mother isn't going to have a problem. Even though she and my father never made a lot of money, what she did have was well invested and, with a couple of lucky breaks, she's now worth almost $2 million in her late 60s. I helped them set up their investment strategies and 401ks over the years and now, even though my father has been dead for a long time now, she's in good financial shape.
    That's good. (Seriously, not condescendingly) But that's only half the equation. The other half is health and/or ability to care for oneself at an advanced age.

    Should the time come that your mother cannot physically care for herself properly, will you (or another family member) move her in, or will she go to a home?*

    *-Sometimes really bad health issues necessitate a home, but that's an extreme scenario.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    Or they simply don't find themselves in a condoning work environment. Happens to a great number of industrious, skilled, and ambitious workers. Common knowledge really.
    Then they need to find a better work environment. It's still on their shoulders.

    Bolded for emphasis. Just because one doesn't find themselves in management within 5 years, does not make them an inferior employee, nor does it indicate incompetence. Those of us who operate in the general realm of reality know this to be true.
    I just pulled 5 years out of thin air, it's a concept, not a hard number. I've never worked for a company in my life for more than 2 years without being in management, no matter how low on the totem pole I started. My point was people who just sit there in an entry level job for their entire careers, never going anywhere, never getting any better, and then complaining about how unfair life is. Whose fault is it?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •