View Poll Results: Have you ever received governmrnt assistance?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    45 61.64%
  • No

    22 30.14%
  • My parents did on my behalf when I was a kid

    6 8.22%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 164

Thread: Have you every received some form government assistance?

  1. #101
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I'm sure all of that is true, no question. #4 is getting more and more difficult to accomplish in today's America, unfortunately. That is the one that needs to be made more readily available. The others are lifestyle choices. People who make those choices need to live with the results.
    It's not difficult at all if you work hard, have a good work ethic and excel in your profession. For the people who start at the bottom and 20 years later are still at the bottom, no doubt, they are being surpassed by their peers. If you're not in management within 5 years, something is seriously wrong with you.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #102
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,405

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    -Welfare
    -AFDC
    -Medicaid
    -Food stamps/EBT cards
    -Government cheese/government peanut butter
    -Free or reduced school lunches
    -WIC
    -Pell grant
    -Cash for clunkers
    -Electric vehicle tax credit
    -Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency for solar, wind or geothermal upgrades
    -Unemployment compensation
    -Free or discounted digital TV converter box
    -Free Government Cell Phone
    -Section 8 housing tenant or landlord
    -HUD project resident
    -First time home buyer down payment assistance
    -Any other government hand out for which you or your parents when you were a minor had to request or otherwise apply

    Academic and athletic scholarships and GI Bill excluded as those are earned. Social Security and Medicare excluded as well as we are all required to pay into it.
    Never received cheese from the government, but I have purchased them from others who received them. That was some damn good cheese!

    The three in green I have received.

    Personally, I consider unemployment compensation to be "paid into" the same as SS and medicare. Just because I don't see it as a line item on my pay stub doesn't mean it isn't part of my overall employment pay compensation. A cost that is a mandatory cost to an employer in order to employ me. Theoretically, at least, my pay could be higher without that added mandatory cost.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #103
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,405

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Yeah, but SS and and Medicare are different IMHO because its specifically for something we're our retirement days. That's unlike the others where not everybody gets paid back in a specific form.
    This point would carry more weight if the government didn't raid the funds and apply the money elsewhere, i.e.: as in when President Clinton used them to "balance" the budget.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #104
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If you're not in management within 5 years, something is seriously wrong with you.
    More arbitrary assertions backed with little more than fluff. With such substantial life experience under your belt, you should know this statement to be absolute hogwash.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    A great argument for private investment accounts. In the world of investing, the amount put in over time would have grown due to compounding rates of return that would have been automatically reinvented into the account. In a generation we could have a nation of millionaires but democrats scare the heck out of the elderly making them think they'll be forsaken keeping a system on the path to failure in place.
    Those who can and will do those, sure. But I had a friend at WS (another site) who was a conservative and argued for that often. During our crash here, he lost much, next to all of it. Being at the retirement age, he was shocked at how much it cost him to have done it that way. He was thankful to have the government aid. In other words, he changed his mind. I noted it.

    The fact is, few are good at finances. Some will slip through and be unable to liveonce they reach that age. As a people, we have to decide how we handle that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #106
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,405

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    This was actually the point I was trying to make with the thread. As much as we (me included) condem government handouts gone wild, if we're honest I was thinking most of us needed the safety net at some point or a hand up. Staying on it with no plan or desire to not need it anymore in most cases is a problem however, IMHO.

    I'll be honest, with the exception of my pell grant in college, I'll was actually embarrassed by needed government assistance even as a kid in elementary school. I remember my mother sending me to the store with food stamps to buy a loaf of bread and I walk walk miles further than I needed to and go to a store in another neighborhood so that no one would recognize me. This as a fourth grader. Character flaw? Maybe. A guy thing? Probably. Who knows? It just made me feel second class.
    For me, at least, it's the "hog wild" part that I object to. I don't want to see all programs done away with, but do I think we have taken it too far.


    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I'm actually surprised most people responding to the poll have never needed government help. I thought it would have been closer to 80% yes, 20% no. Especally considering the more accepted forms like pell grants, first time homeowner downpayment and unemployment compensation. I know a millionaire who gets section 8 money as a landlord. Business owners get FEMA help sometimes if a storm damages their business property beyond what insurance covers. Some farmers get subsidies. Oil companies get subsidies. There are a lot of government hand outs that don't carry the stigma of a free loader like food stamps and Medicare.
    If I were a landlord I would not accept Section 8. Solely because the red tape and restrictions and hoops the government makes landlords go through are absurd and unreasonable.


    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    If I stay in the military, I will probably pass on my G.I. Bill to my kids, if I get out, I will probably not fully use it. Both Social Security and Medicare are unlikely to be there for me in my older years.
    Is this relatively new? I have never heard of this.

    To be honest, I'm not sure I like it. The kids can get their own GI BIll when they serve.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I don't think it's as rare as you want to think that it is. Lots of people work their entire lives and never have to rely on the government for any freebies.
    Do you own a home? Do you take the mortgage tax deduction?

    The mortgage tax deduction should have been on the list. For many, it is the difference between owning a home and not.


    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Pew Research did a study a while back on what causes people to fall out of the middle class and into poverty. Their "Top Five" were:

    1. Divorce
    2. Failure to Marry (as in, the parent of your children)
    3. Heroin or other 'hard drug' usage
    4. Failure to graduate high school (compared to high school graduates)
    5. Failure to graduate high school (compared to college graduates)


    Generally speaking, the evidence repeatedly demonstrates that if you:

    1. Graduate high school
    2. Wait until you are married to have children
    3. Stay married and
    4. Work full time

    you are statistically very unlikely to fall into (or, if you ever do, remain in) poverty.
    This mirrors pretty closely what I have always thought. As a general rule, people are in the situation they are precisely because of the choices they made.


    Quote Originally Posted by LiberalAvenger View Post
    There are a lot of sucess stories about people who have received government aid. President Rooselvelt's job programs have paid huge dividends to America. The Hoover dam is only one example. There are many others.

    Unfortunately, some people have tried to stigmatize these programs for political gains.

    Who can not remember "welfare Cadillac?
    When the country was still relatively undeveloped, things like Hoover Dam and the Interstate Highway System were indeed great boons to the economy, and have paid dividends that far exceed their cost. Opportunities like that are now very rare.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #107
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,405

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    I'm always amused by the chest-thumping, "I'll pay into them my entire life and never take a dime back!", attitude. Yeah, you sure showed them. Always seemed self-defeating to me. I'm not one to go seeking government help, but if it's there and I need it, I have no qualms with taking it.

    Sometimes I don't even *need* it. The home mortgage deduction, for example. I can afford my home just fine without it, but it's there, I qualify, so I'm taking it... and I have no guilt in doing so.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #108
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Those who can and will do those, sure. But I had a friend at WS (another site) who was a conservative and argued for that often. During our crash here, he lost much, next to all of it. Being at the retirement age, he was shocked at how much it cost him to have done it that way. He was thankful to have the government aid. In other words, he changed his mind. I noted it.

    The fact is, few are good at finances. Some will slip through and be unable to liveonce they reach that age. As a people, we have to decide how we handle that.
    Sad thing is? We used to handle that with our families. Now families most often step back -- when they should be stepping up.

    Our parents gave us LIFE, for God's sake. We can't help them out in their golden years? I guess not. If the government won't help them, we'll just have to float them out on icebergs.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #109
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hare View Post
    More arbitrary assertions backed with little more than fluff. With such substantial life experience under your belt, you should know this statement to be absolute hogwash.
    Nope, sorry. The people who don't get ahead are the ones without the drive and work ethic to make it. If you want to advance in your career, if you're willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead, you can get ahead.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #110
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Have you every received some form government assistance?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Sad thing is? We used to handle that with our families. Now families most often step back -- when they should be stepping up.

    Our parents gave us LIFE, for God's sake. We can't help them out in their golden years? I guess not. If the government won't help them, we'll just have to float them out on icebergs.
    Well, some did. We actually had a number of people living in serious poverty. The past was rarely as good as we think it was. But, it is also true that we care less for our families than we used to.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •