View Poll Results: Are teachers overpaid and underworked?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are overpaid and underworked

    18 21.18%
  • No, they are not overpaid and underworked

    67 78.82%
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 311

Thread: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

  1. #81
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    you DO realize that Guy is just messing with folks, right?
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  2. #82
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Look, this is the problem. Overpaid/underpaid is not a moral question, it is a financial question. I would love it if people got paid for being morally good. The world would be a much different place. But it isn't like that. We don't live in a socialist fairyland where little magic elves grant wishes to the good boys and girls. In reality, people get paid not for being morally good but for bringing value to an employer who has money to pay them.

    So is a teacher, or a doctor or a lawyer or a circus clown, underpaid or overpaid? This question only arises when the free market is not allowed to operate. In a free market, nobody is overpaid or underpaid. It's not a communistic calculus of ability versus needs. This kind of system sounds great on paper, but we are all familiar with the fact that this leads to economic stagnantion as it removes all incentive from people to do quality work.
    The question always arises, because humans are not purely market beings, they have a heart and soul and beliefs on matters that they consider more important the economic questions, thus stuff like this will always be a moral question, due to human nature.

    I find it interesting that you are arguing from extremes, that you see it as either free market or communistic where there are a whole range of social philosophies in the world. Can you perhaps bring your argument down from theory and address the real world with its range of human belief systems?

  3. #83
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    you DO realize that Guy is just messing with folks, right?
    I hope so, I find his stance to be almost utterly nonsensical.

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    The question always arises, because humans are not purely market beings, they have a heart and soul and beliefs on matters that they consider more important the economic questions, thus stuff like this will always be a moral question, due to human nature.
    This is why a purely market analysis of things rarely resonates with people. The market puts things in black and white, but most people don't think in those terms. There are standards other than cost/benefit to think about.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I am curious how you found this to be an insult.
    What else are you doing when you sarcastically caricature my position and trivialize my argument?

    But look, it's fine, no problem.

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    you DO realize that Guy is just messing with folks, right?
    Really? Because he and his positions have always been like this.

  7. #87
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,808

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    There is no way in hell I'd ever become a teacher. No way! As far as I am concerned teachers don't make enough money as it is. If the feds and the state would leave it up to the local school board to let teachers, ah, you know, feckin teach, teachers would do a fine job.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    This is why a purely market analysis of things rarely resonates with people. The market puts things in black and white, but most people don't think in those terms. There are standards other than cost/benefit to think about.
    You are exactly right. People have trouble understanding how free market economics works because their minds are clouded by emotions. They are blinded to reason by overpowering irrational impulses that overwhelm good sense.

  9. #89
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    What else are you doing when you sarcastically caricature my position and trivialize my argument?

    But look, it's fine, no problem.
    No, I was pointing out that you simply can't redefine problems out of existence and expect to still be logical.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Really? Because he and his positions have always been like this.
    Maybe I'm always messing with folks?

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •