View Poll Results: Are teachers overpaid and underworked?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are overpaid and underworked

    18 21.18%
  • No, they are not overpaid and underworked

    67 78.82%
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 311

Thread: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

  1. #291
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Instead of $30,000
    That's not the average teacher's salary. Starting salary, maybe. I started at about $30K. You might be a little surprised at how much I make 9 years later....


  2. #292
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    That's the average teacher salary in the US right now.
    Oh, that's not so bad then. It's like 20-25 dollars/hr. Maybe should be a bit higher, but you're also talking to someone who thinks we should be on a trimester system and have classes during summer.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #293
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    but you're also talking to someone who thinks we should be on a trimester system and have classes during summer.
    I'm so with you on that one. It's dumb to take off 3 months. The kids get lazy and forget a lot of what they've learned. It's just stupid.


  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    My OL started teaching in a Catholic School in which she had so many years there. Yet when she switched over to Public Schools they did not give count all the time she taught in a private School the same as a Public School. Then she went thru the hassle of getting Riffed every time she was about to make Tenure. Which those schools would evaluate her at Excellent on her performance. But still would riff her as they didnt want to pay otu more money.

    One thing is for certain. Administrators Shouldnt be making over 70k. Also they don't need all kinds of Superintendants and Assistant ones. Some of these have secretaries who have their own secretary.

  5. #295
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    "Hey Im going to send you to a building with a stranger that i trust to help make you a functioning member of society, I am entrusting this person with the most precious thing in my life. Let's give them even less money." As for private school teachers getting paid more or less, my experience is that typically the pay is dependent on the kind of private school. Besides that what do people propose we do to let lower income families afford a private system? Vouchers? That wouldnt likely save money at all.
    The issue of the OP is whether teachers are overpaid and underworked or underpaid and overworked. With respect to Vouchers is not the cost but the attempt to get a better quality education for children by their parents and yes less money is spent because the goverment schools do not want to allow the parent to have all of the money as a voucher.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Oh, that's not so bad then. It's like 20-25 dollars/hr. Maybe should be a bit higher, but you're also talking to someone who thinks we should be on a trimester system and have classes during summer.
    I agree with this and especially in major Urban cities. Also I think they should gear high school to more of a vocational standard. While teaching Kids about Checking, credit cards, service to Country. Including into Government.

  7. #297
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Because the employees have EARNED them. Because the labor is what creates the value. Because without labor there is nothing. Because the rich fat cats don't get rich without that labor. Because without the bargaining power the workers don't get a fair share of the pie. Because 15 cents an hour is not fair compensation. Because a rich fat cat who hasn't created the wealth doesn't deserve a luxury yacht in the Mediterranean while the person who has created the actual wealth has his life destroyed in poverty. Need I go on?
    We're talking about teachers not assembly line workers. One of the big problems in education is we do treat the education of children thru an assembly line model. Each child has strengths and weaknesses and the education methods for that child needs to address those. Your argument treats all teachers the same and that is not the case any compensation should be based on outcomes on how they improve each child from the start of their care to the end.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  8. #298
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    The results of the thread speaks for itself. What I find peculiar is that Conservatives harp on personal responsibility, when you have teachers that many if not most have masters degrees and do work everyday to be successful, the vilify them and have audacity to say they are paid to much. When their buddies the CEOS make millions for less education many times and get more millions in bonus for FAILING their companies and investors and the conservatives dont mind that one bit....talk about hypocrisy and as this cop puts it..and BS

    I believe Conservatives believe that there are teachers who are not doing the job they are being paid for and they do complain about that. And with reference to CEOs while some neo-cons would back them a true Conservative would use the same reasoning to a CEO.

    I personally believe that CEOs should be just for the stock holder getting a good return or increasing value of the stock (that is his job) and I believe that a mechanism should be in place for the stock holders to pay the CEO and not the board of directors of the company. But we have this method where they rub each others backs instead.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Mine puts in a lot of time with the school. She is the Music Teacher. Puts on all the schools plays. Does lunchroom duty. Does an afterschool program with Special Ed kids and is a Rainbow Facilitator.....working with kids from Divorced Families. Also has Bus Duty in getting the kids into the school. Course now she works Elementary from Kindergarden to 6th grade. So from 8 am to 5-30pm she is with students all day.

    Oh and she is not a Chicago Public school teacher. As they are a group all on their own in Illinois. Who is about to go on strike not accepting a 2% increase in salary despite the times.

    So over 13 years of teaching and she only makes around 65k.

  10. #300
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    That's not the average teacher's salary. Starting salary, maybe. I started at about $30K. You might be a little surprised at how much I make 9 years later....
    Josie..........how did I not know you were a teacher?

    And, BTW, I agree. I've got 18 years experience and with my coaching supplement, I really can't complain. Even teaching in a "poor state" my income really isn't that bad. Plus, my wife is a teacher as well. It's great that we get all the same vacations that our two children get.........and they're paid vacations(in a manner of speaking).

    That being said, I do believe that starting salaries are a bit too low......especially for the required level of education, certification, licensure, etc. which is required to teach. Anyone who can stick it out 20+ (or heck, 9 years even) in this profession, more than deserves a decent raise in compensation.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •