View Poll Results: Are teachers overpaid and underworked?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are overpaid and underworked

    18 21.18%
  • No, they are not overpaid and underworked

    67 78.82%
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 311

Thread: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

  1. #211
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Certainly would be an acceleration of what has been going on over the last 30 years.
    On the contrary, it would provide a counterweight to the plutocracy we find ourselves in.

    Think about it, if a free market system benefitted the elite, we would have it already. The one percenters that the lefties loathe so much would hate for there to be a true free market with the real efficiency and real opportunity it brings wih it, because then they would have to work to maintain their status. In a true free market class mobility is high and there are no "idle rich" like there are in the oligarchy we currently live in.

  2. #212
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    In a true free market class mobility is high...
    Unless you're born to poor parents in a poor area, and thus get a poor education and can only qualify for a poor university (if that), and then can only qualify for your poor job and have poor kids with your poor wife...and so it goes...

  3. #213
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    I have suddenly seen the light. The collies have been right all along! Paying a person less the he amount required for an American middle class lifestyle is immoral!

    So by this line of thinking, the only solution that makes sense is obvious. The government needs to just write everybody checks! Cuz the government can just make, like, infinite money, right?

    Geez, it seems so simple now, I don't know why nobody thought of it before!

    Calm down, every, all problems have been solved.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Unless you're born to poor parents in a poor area, and thus get a poor education and can only qualify for a poor university (if that), and then can only qualify for your poor job and have poor kids with your poor wife...and so it goes...
    Look around you, mr Vonnegut, tha is he world we live in right now.

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    How does it help the children for their parents to allow them to slip through the cracks?
    It doesn't. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped, so the best that you can do is to separate them so that if they're not wanting help, you don't waste help on them and remove a resource for a more worthy applicant.

    It seems that your solution transfers the problem from one of unequal funding to one allowing parents to make crappy choices for their kids. Both ways, the kids lose.
    Some situations are not winnable, and the mentality that doesn't recognize this is a very dangerous and toxic one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog
    The voucher system would not work. Everyone must be equal under the law. This includes good and bad parents or students.
    The hell they do. However, in terms of legalities, they'd still be equal - therefore, a segregation of this archetype would be allowed.

  6. #216
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Are you trying to prove me right about you habitual illogic? If government is paying the wage to provide free services, where is that money supposed to come from?
    The service isn't free obviously, but your argument was about prevailing wage. In this case, the entity setting the wage has the say. Government pretty much has a monopoly on teacher wages (sure there are private schools but they represent a very small percent of the market) so that is that. In this case, due to teachers providing a service that is fundamental to the economy instead of being simply a product of the economy, I regard this as a good thing because it means we can have additional inputs to pay teachers for what service they provide instead of what the market decides it should be. People are often irrational and short term thinkers because of that, sometimes being a product of the market, due to human flaws, is not a good thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I already did. Hard drugs have always, since time immemorial, been available to the poor.
    If you don't think there is a substantial difference between what is available now vs the past, you need to do some studying.

  7. #217
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    It doesn't. You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped, so the best that you can do is to separate them so that if they're not wanting help, you don't waste help on them and remove a resource for a more worthy applicant.
    Who doesn't want to be helped, the parents or the children?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Some situations are not winnable, and the mentality that doesn't recognize this is a very dangerous and toxic one.



    The hell they do. However, in terms of legalities, they'd still be equal - therefore, a segregation of this archetype would be allowed.

  8. #218
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    On the contrary, it would provide a counterweight to the plutocracy we find ourselves in.

    Think about it, if a free market system benefitted the elite, we would have it already. The one percenters that the lefties loathe so much would hate for there to be a true free market with the real efficiency and real opportunity it brings wih it, because then they would have to work to maintain their status. In a true free market class mobility is high and there are no "idle rich" like there are in the oligarchy we currently live in.
    In a true free market, Social Darwinism wins the day. Those fortunate enough to be born with higher intelligence, superior athletic ability, entrepreneurial talent, in an upscale environment, with educated/driven parents, or in a family which has already achieved financial stability/success have an immense head start in the game versus those who have none of the above.
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 09-02-12 at 03:30 PM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  9. #219
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Look around you, mr Vonnegut, tha is he world we live in right now.
    Um...whether you intended to or not, you just admitted that your "In a true free market class mobility is high..." comment was false. Unless what you meant was that high class mobility was easy for the high class?
    Last edited by Cardinal; 09-02-12 at 03:26 PM.

  10. #220
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    The hell they do. However, in terms of legalities, they'd still be equal - therefore, a segregation of this archetype would be allowed.
    Ahh I see. Because segregation has worked so well in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •