View Poll Results: Are teachers overpaid and underworked?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are overpaid and underworked

    18 21.18%
  • No, they are not overpaid and underworked

    67 78.82%
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 311

Thread: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

  1. #121
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Funny you should ask, yes I know several. Every one of them went into teaching in their 30s after they failed at everything else they tried. They are all liberals and all pretty much worthless bums. When all else fails, teach.
    Apparently, you aren't very close with them.....since they're liberals and "worthless bums" and all.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Apparently, you aren't very close with them.....since they're liberals and "worthless bums" and all.
    Neighbors I have had, men I have worked with who got canned for being culls and friends of friends I have met at party's.

  3. #123
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,352

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    The overworked thing ... it depends. Some years I'm constantly talking on the phone to parents, writing notes, brainstorming ways to make things better and doing piles of paperwork. Other years I have a smaller class with less behavior and academic issues. Likewise, some days are a breeze and some are from Hell. I rarely feel overworked and if I am, it's because I'm neurotic and and want everything to be just right.

    I believe my job is important since I'm teaching the country's 6 year olds to read and write, but I also don't feel that every teacher should be put on a pedestal to be ooohed and awwwed at. I've seen my fair share of really crappy teachers. They don't deserve a pedestal, let alone a paycheck.

    Therefore, I hate questions like this because it's assuming that all teachers equally work hard and are very good at their job. That's just not the case.


  4. #124
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,541

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Over $700 billion are spent in defense around the world.
    Less than $100 billion are spent in education.
    Make your own conclusions
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Where did I bring this up?

    And you are not just here to "figure out how it makes sense". Not by a long shot.

    In order to do that one must first approach with an open mind.
    I will admit I'm not opened minded, and the chances I will accept what you say on the matter is close to none, but all the same I want to hear what you have to say.

  6. #126
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    The overworked thing ... it depends. Some years I'm constantly talking on the phone to parents, writing notes, brainstorming ways to make things better and doing piles of paperwork. Other years I have a smaller class with less behavior and academic issues. Likewise, some days are a breeze and some are from Hell. I rarely feel overworked and if I am, it's because I'm neurotic and and want everything to be just right.

    I believe my job is important since I'm teaching the country's 6 year olds to read and write, but I also don't feel that every teacher should be put on a pedestal to be ooohed and awwwed at. I've seen my fair share of really crappy teachers. They don't deserve a pedestal, let alone a paycheck.

    Therefore, I hate questions like this because it's assuming that all teachers equally work hard and are very good at their job. That's just not the case.
    I wouldn't put all teachers on a pedestal, but I would the profession itself on a pedestal.

    A nurse requires the same amount of education as a teacher. Yet, a nurse gets paid more than a teacher. Which is the more difficult job, and which has greater importance? Are they equally difficult and important? If so, then why aren't they paid roughly equal amounts.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    I wouldn't put all teachers on a pedestal, but I would the profession itself on a pedestal.

    A nurse requires the same amount of education as a teacher. Yet, a nurse gets paid more than a teacher. Which is the more difficult job, and which has greater importance? Are they equally difficult and important? If so, then why aren't they paid roughly equal amounts.
    Does any of that even mesh up with how markets function at all?

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,672

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I will admit I'm not opened minded, and the chances I will accept what you say on the matter is close to none, but all the same I want to hear what you have to say.
    You have already admitted you are closed mined on this just as I maintained you were. It would like throwing the seeds to grow orchids on an airport tarmac in July in the heat of Dubai.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #129
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Does any of that even mesh up with how markets function at all?
    Basic morality doesn't mesh up with how markets function, so I don't really care.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You have already admitted you are closed mined on this just as I maintained you were. It would like throwing the seeds to grow orchids on an airport tarmac in July in the heat of Dubai.
    I think you can't actually defend it, but fine. I am more interested in what Mega has to say on this as its his statement that started this after all. Your support is just secondary really.

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •