View Poll Results: Are teachers overpaid and underworked?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are overpaid and underworked

    18 21.18%
  • No, they are not overpaid and underworked

    67 78.82%
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 311

Thread: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

  1. #91
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You are exactly right. People have trouble understanding how free market economics works because their minds are clouded by emotions. They are blinded to reason by overpowering irrational impulses that overwhelm good sense.
    And this is why the economic "rational man" should be abandoned for actual psychological and sociological insight.

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You are exactly right. People have trouble understanding how free market economics works because their minds are clouded by emotions. They are blinded to reason by overpowering irrational impulses that overwhelm good sense.
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Maybe I'm always messing with folks?
    I hope you are, for your sake. It's no skin off my nose.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    No, I was pointing out that you simply can't redefine problems out of existence and expect to still be logical.
    Yeah, you were sarcastically pointing out what you perceive to be flaws in my argument. Then when I sarcastically point out the flaws in your argument you get all pissy about it. Come on.

  4. #94
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Yeah, you were sarcastically pointing out what you perceive to be flaws in my argument. Then when I sarcastically point out the flaws in your argument you get all pissy about it. Come on.
    I don't remember being sarcastic.

    Oh well.

    Lets just say your pee stream is longer and drop this side tangent. (this was real sarcasm)

  5. #95
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    If everyone started getting a better education, that would be great, even if it was applied unevenly.
    The issue is that some people would see a marked decrease in their education, and its those people that I worry about.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  6. #96
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    End public schools and let the market allocate teacher salaries in a privatized educational system. That is the only way to ensure that teachers will neither be overpaid nor underpaid.

    If education is privatized, teachers will be paid exactly what the market will bear.
    Hahahaha yes... because when the market allocates salaries... people are never overworked or underpaid. Great logic there chap.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #97
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    In some important respects it is far worse. I would say going off the gold standard was one of the big controobuting factors. But it is of really relevant to my point, becausE we've never had a pure free marks. Even when we were on a gold standar the tovt discriminated against women and minorities. So anything before the modem civil rights era is worthless.
    First of all, please proof read what you post. It makes it easier for us to read.

    Second of all, if you have no data about what a "pure" free market system would be like since there's never been one. Any opinion on what it would be like is conjecture, hope, and fairy dust. The point is, in a free market system there are winners and losers, and people get what they can afford. The children of the very poor would get a substandard education, if they got one at all, and would not be able to compete with the children of the very wealthy. There is no level playing field without equal access to education.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  8. #98
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,787

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Good to see that most people here get it.

    ETA: Of all things, I misvoted. The irony meter just exploded.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  9. #99
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Maybe I'm always messing with folks?
    Have you considered getting a dog instead?

  10. #100
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Are Teachers Overpaid and Underworked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    End public schools and let the market allocate teacher salaries in a privatized educational system. That is the only way to ensure that teachers will neither be overpaid nor underpaid.

    If education is privatized, teachers will be paid exactly what the market will bear.
    And somehow that's a good thing? At the turn of the 20th Century what the market would bear for factory workers was 15 cents an hour 16 hours a day with no time and a half for overtime, no workman's comp, no healthcare benefits, and no vacation, and no collective bargaining representation. But "what the market will bear" will somehow save us all.

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •