View Poll Results: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    60 63.83%
  • againt

    34 36.17%
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 209

Thread: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

  1. #171
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,945

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    BC is birth certificate and my SS card does not say that, not to mention people still use it as a form in PA at least every employer makes me bring it for copies along with my DL.

    my card says:
    This card belongs to the SS S and you must return it if we ask for it

    Improper use is pinishble by fine and or impresionment

    protect your car

    sign card right away and keep safe

    do not carry with you at all times


    regardless though I would be fine with it being used lol its meaningless to my point
    Don't know why I couldn't come up with birth certificate. Must have been the late hour. As to the SS card, that has to be a relatively recent change because all the one's I have had in the past have had the not and ID wording on it. I'll now have to go dig mine out of the safe box and see.

    I know what you meant with the bolded line, but damn that's funny. Like one of those non-sequester lines out of a joke or funny movie.


    nobody said its a new idea what I actually did say if its not easy and in place in a timely fashion im not for it, like starting it NOW and enforcing it for this election. SO again what you said or may have said in the past doesnt change my stance.

    Im not sure what you are trying to state, agree with or argue against because nothing had an impact. WHat am I missing?
    Maybe it was the late hour again, but you and a couple of others imply, intentionally or not, that this seemed like a new thing.


    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Look at my screen name.
    I didn't say SCOTUS, I said State Supreme Court.
    Your screen name doesn't mean anything per se' except to identify you. Sorry but it's not obvious. For all I knew your name was Mo. I in fact have a friend with the name Mo.

    And I do apologize as I did miss where you stated the State Supreme Court

  2. #172
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Your screen name doesn't mean anything per se' except to identify you. Sorry but it's not obvious. For all I knew your name was Mo. I in fact have a friend with the name Mo.
    My mistake, then, I thought "Moe" was a name, not "Mo". Too much Three Stooges when I was a kid I guess.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #173
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Don't know why I couldn't come up with birth certificate. Must have been the late hour. As to the SS card, that has to be a relatively recent change because all the one's I have had in the past have had the not and ID wording on it. I'll now have to go dig mine out of the safe box and see.

    LOL hey no biggie, ive made my share of misreads, mispeaks and had brainfarts before too lol
    Not to mentin my post was just king of a long way to say if its super easy and accessible with no real hindrance id be for it. lol

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    I know what you meant with the bolded line, but damn that's funny. Like one of those non-sequester lines out of a joke or funny movie.
    LOL yep whoops, and thats a HUGE thing with me, Im a terrible typer and its usually because Im doning many things, rushing and my brain is way ahead of my fingers.





    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    Maybe it was the late hour again, but you and a couple of others imply, intentionally or not, that this seemed like a new thing.
    Yeah definitely not what I mean I cant speak fot the others though but If referred to new I didnt mean like BRAND NEW never tried I just mean like implemented so close to election in certain areas. I mean here in PA they mad the LAW new and a politician was on tape saying he thinks it will help the republicans for sure (he was a republican) so thats more like what I meant.

    BUT on the otherside odfthat, I have ALWAYS been ask for my ID when I voted here, now I dodnt know what they did if you didnt have one but I was always asked. They always had a list, they went down it and I had to put my signature by it.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #174
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    There are additional means to prove who you are without providing an ID, however, when the IDs are cheap and relatively easy to get, I do not think it is undue harm to the citizenry. I do not agree with the mentality that selling IDs in of itself is a violation of our rights as citizens.
    They are easy to get if you have all documentation in order to obtain one. I work in a field with adult with developmental disabilities and a lot of those folks come to us from state hospitals and often times, are missing vital documentation. Such as, original, certified copies of birth certificates. Problem is, you file to the state they were born in and they then require two forms of ID in order to even get a certified copy of a birth certificate. The problem then lies in the fact that they cannot obtain a KS ID card without a certified copy of a birth certificate. One lends to the other, and there you sit. Many of these people live in group homes and have representative payees, so all their expenses are paid by them. So, there are no bills or other forms of ID to send to the state to get an official ID.

    Many of these people have no concerns with voting, but there are some that are extremely high functioning that have an interest and desire to vote. They cannot because of the lack of historical information about them that seems to go missing when they are transferred from hospital, institution, etc...

  5. #175
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,637

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    They are easy to get if you have all documentation in order to obtain one. I work in a field with adult with developmental disabilities and a lot of those folks come to us from state hospitals and often times, are missing vital documentation. Such as, original, certified copies of birth certificates. Problem is, you file to the state they were born in and they then require two forms of ID in order to even get a certified copy of a birth certificate. The problem then lies in the fact that they cannot obtain a KS ID card without a certified copy of a birth certificate. One lends to the other, and there you sit. Many of these people live in group homes and have representative payees, so all their expenses are paid by them. So, there are no bills or other forms of ID to send to the state to get an official ID.

    Many of these people have no concerns with voting, but there are some that are extremely high functioning that have an interest and desire to vote. They cannot because of the lack of historical information about them that seems to go missing when they are transferred from hospital, institution, etc...
    I remember well your occupation, TGND, and am well familiar with it. It is noble work, as my family have been grateful for services provided much like yours, and multiple members of my family have been long-time workers in the field. Again, thank you for your service, however stressful and perhaps ill to your health it can be (my Grandmother knows her limitations, but persists nevertheless).

    I agree, IDs are troublesome to come by without the documentation necessary, or as our brothers and sisters on the physical disability categories could attest, difficult to make travel. It is why I personally think the Voter ID term that gave justification to the more restrictive laws itself is a misnomer, as there are additional means to provide identification without providing the State-issued card. It isn't as if without the State-ID cards everything is chaotic. On the contrary, we in North Dakota not only have no voter registration (the only such state in the Union), but we also allow numerous forms of identification to prove eligibility to vote. No voter scandals here. Instead, those with disabilities, often perhaps unsure where they need to vote, especially in times of redistricting (as was the case this Summer), were not denied access if they were in the wrong voting station-they could vote as any other. Should they not have the documentation necessary (including utility bill or change of address verification letter from the post office), they could follow the following advise: "If an individual offering to vote does not have or refuses to show an appropriate form of identification, the individual may be allowed to vote without being challenged if a pollworker is able to vouch for the voter's identity and address. Otherwise, the individual may vote as a challenged voter by executing an affidavit that the challenged individual is a legally qualified elector of the precinct." It certainly isn't a sure-fire way of ensuring it around here, but we have improved.

    Though what is interesting to me is, like all other matters relating to disability, information is always power. As you say, guardians or payees represent middle-men that could withhold, forget, or be ignorant of what needs to be done in order to ensure civic participation. In addition to this, there is still the assumption that those with guardianship are too incompetent to move forward, or that they will be scammed, so deny them access. Certainly matters have improved since the 19th century where guardians held that much more power over those with, for instance intellectual disability, but a significant problem remains that many are still denied based on perceptions of cognitive fitness, or on basis of being appointed guardianship.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 09-03-12 at 03:10 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #176
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    I think the objective should be to make sure that there is no voter/election fraud. Identifying that the person voting is indeed the person they say they are can be done without a special card. When a person applies for a loan, a job, drivers license, food assistance, etc. one does not need a special national card to do so. I think it would be more effective to show two forms of ID. Or perhaps develop a better method of confirming votes then what we are using now. I mean right now we do not have universal methods in vote counting.

  7. #177
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I think the objective should be to make sure that there is no voter/election fraud. Identifying that the person voting is indeed the person they say they are can be done without a special card. When a person applies for a loan, a job, drivers license, food assistance, etc. one does not need a special national card to do so. I think it would be more effective to show two forms of ID. Or perhaps develop a better method of confirming votes then what we are using now. I mean right now we do not have universal methods in vote counting.
    The voter ID law isn't about requiring a new, special, separate ID. Your driver's license or state ID are acceptable to vote under this new law, no other ID required. Just like you have to show your driver's license or state ID to get a loan, now you have to show it to vote. Or if you don't have a driver's license or state ID, you can get a free voter ID card. This law is a great thing.

  8. #178
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    The voter ID law isn't about requiring a new, special, separate ID. Your driver's license or state ID are acceptable to vote under this new law, no other ID required. Just like you have to show your driver's license or state ID to get a loan, now you have to show it to vote. Or if you don't have a driver's license or state ID, you can get a free voter ID card. This law is a great thing.
    I wouldnt call it great at all. Again I think it is important to identify a voter as being in the right place and actually being the person they say they are. Both of which can be done without a voter ID card.


    Obviously the point is to reduce the possibility of fraud in voting. So goal should be to do what can be done to obtain that goal. The issue of voter ID's has become a dividing political issue. And most likely will remain so for a great deal of time. Yet we still must assure the legitimacy of our voting system and stop any exploits of it. If the goal is what i just said then in an attempt to obtain that goal it may be best to abandon the voter ID card concept and move on to the Paper work needed to register to vote in the first place.

    When you sign in to vote you should present the same paper work that you did when you registered to vote. It would be much harder to present fake multiple documents than to fake one voter ID card. More work yes, but the people that show up to government food distribution do it every month. So I see no hardship in presenting the extra documents needed to identify a voter.

    As far as absentee ballots go they should be reduced to just people with legitimate reasons. And Again in both types of voting more work should be done to confirm the votes. I believe that is really where the problem is at more so than fraudulent voters. If we do not have a good mechanism to recognize problem than no matter what laws you intact to identify voters you will still see problems with fraud. After all it isnt the individual voter we must watch it is those that want the votes to go a certain way that we must police. Usually that involves politicians and corruption not individual voters per se.

  9. #179
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,945

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    I wouldnt call it great at all. Again I think it is important to identify a voter as being in the right place and actually being the person they say they are. Both of which can be done without a voter ID card.
    I don't understand this response in the context of the post you cited. The cited post specifically notes that a voter ID card is not needed or required by any currently enacted or proposed law. Yet you turn around and said that identification can be done without a voter ID card. So what were you saying differently?

  10. #180
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    I don't understand this response in the context of the post you cited. The cited post specifically notes that a voter ID card is not needed or required by any currently enacted or proposed law. Yet you turn around and said that identification can be done without a voter ID card. So what were you saying differently?
    I specifically stated that I do not think that a law that would provide a voters ID card for those who do not possess the required documents would be a great thing. Logically you would still needs those proofs of identification in order to get a a voters ID card. So why bother wasting tax payers money on voter ID cards that do not serve any real purpose? I mean if you can produce the information needed to acquire a voter ID card then you can also produce the same information while checking in at the place where you are voting and just cut to the chase.

    A voters ID card would just be another Government program that wastes tax payers money for no other reason than to satisfy political posturing. There is already a thing called ID that exists and is legally accepted there is no reason to reinvent the wheel here. If one cannot produce the needed information to acquire an state ID card how would they register to vote in the first place?

    At one point I was homeless and was able to acquire a sate ID card in order to cash my checks when I started working again. If there is a will there is a way.

    The context though being that partisan politics is not really concerned with voter fraud its self. The Republicans are stuck on insisting that voter ID cards is the end all solution to voter fraud. Which ignores the fact that better monitoring of the voting process would go much further than issuing voter cards. On the other hand Democrats are enjoying the fact that they can make the Republicans look like asses for their insistence of voter ID cards. Meanwhile The entire battle seems to be more of a distraction rather than anything productive. Personally I believe that we should make sure that every election no matter how small is completely legit from all angles just to be sure. And I do not believe that just issuing voter ID cards would be effective, but I actually believe that voter ID cards would make it easier for election fraud to exist since the card would be issued by the Government whether Federal or State. Which would give opportunity for corruption to exist.


    As it stands now The ID we that we produce for registering to vote isnt based entirely on State IDs but also other types that confirm our address etc. It takes the means of centralized corrupted elections out of play to a certain extent.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •