View Poll Results: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    60 63.83%
  • againt

    34 36.17%
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 209

Thread: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

  1. #151
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. Some few may say that but overall I think a lot of concerns are the same concerns I've expressed. Once it was established that ID's would be free many people said "OK" because that addressed their concern. In addition to cost my hang-up has been the time-frame and once we get past that I'll say "OK", as will many others. By the time these concerns are actually addressed instead of just laughed at as "excuses" I think you'll find most will be in agreement and there won't be an issue.
    No, this has been going on for a long time and you get people who not only demand that it be free, they don't want anyone required to go do anything to get it. Like... get their picture taken, or go to the DMV or post office or whatever. They want absolutely no requirements of any kind and if there is any requirement, even up to sending in a form, the whole idea fails.

    The only real concern left after those is the government tracking people, which many see as a step closer to Big Brother - and that concern comes from both sides of the aisle. Personally, I think those people are behind the times or, in their view, already too late.
    Of course they're too late and paranoia is not impressive, sorry.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #152
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I would say that they have chosen to not have a voice. Not always, but for the most part, in today's society, if you don't have a valid ID of some sort, it's because it wasn't that big of a deal to you. Even people who lose their driver's licenses for whatever reason can get valid state-issued IDs for everyday use.

    As a general rule. There will, of course, be some exceptions to this general rule, but they will be just that... exceptions.
    And if those "exceptions" didnt tend to vote Dem this wouldnt be happening.

    The ID requirement is just the tip of the iceberg.

    Longer lines while IDs are checked. (Bet there will be more polling places/hours in Repub. Districts)

    Challenges. Its not just a picture but your address they'll be challenging.

    ID is just the beginning of the disenfranchisement process.

    (And i also wonder how long it'll be before they just chip us and get it over with)
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #153
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    The move to try to have voter ID has been an ongoing issue for at least 4 election periods as a major push and for even longer before not as controversial. 2000 seems to be the real beginning of the push with the Bush FL issue. Many laws seem to be awaiting pre-clearence under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act or have only recently received it. So this isn't a new issue or even a rush job for this election.

    While I won't comment on the rest of the site (because I have not looked it over) this page seems to be made of purely factual information regarding voter ID laws, with no bias in either direction. Wikipedia also has a page with some history on the issue but it's Wikipedia so take with a grain of salt and check the references.
    The Republicans tried a photo ID law here in 2007 (IIRC) and the State Supreme Court shot it down. How much thought do you suppose went into a law that gets shot down inside of 6 months? Obviously there was some zeal in getting it passed. They tried a second time in 2009 but it didn't pass because of a study done by our State Secretary about the number of people that would get left out. Considering our budget problems they're still working on that issue. In the end we'll likely end up with free State ID cards, which currently cost $30 for six years, but that amounts to ~$10M, which is a lot of money right now.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #154
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Of course they're too late and paranoia is not impressive, sorry.
    Trust me, I wasn't agreeing with them. We're waaaay past that. I'm old enough to remember when we couldn't be tracked at all (except our jobs) so I've watched it all happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, this has been going on for a long time and you get people who not only demand that it be free, they don't want anyone required to go do anything to get it. Like... get their picture taken, or go to the DMV or post office or whatever. They want absolutely no requirements of any kind and if there is any requirement, even up to sending in a form, the whole idea fails.
    Photo ID hasn't been happening for a long time here. We resolved our ID issue a long time ago and it wasn't with a photo requirement. I don't care what the rest of the country has been doing.

    Personally, I think it's paranoia on the side that wants photo ID's but I'm OK with it once we get the problems resolved. If it'll make some people sleep better at night then it doesn't bother me to coddle them as long as it's not a major imposition on others.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 09-02-12 at 07:11 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  5. #155
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Trust me, I wasn't agreeing with them. We're waaaay past that. I'm old enough to remember when we couldn't be tracked at all (except our jobs) so I've watched it all happen.
    It's not just the government that can track you today. Welcome to the modern world. You can be tracked a million different ways every day.

    Personally, I think it's paranoia on the side that wants photo ID's but I'm OK with it once we get the problems resolved. If it'll make some people sleep better at night then it doesn't bother me to coddle them as long as it's not a major imposition on others.
    The only people who have a right to vote in this country are actual, legal American citizens. We have a massive illegal alien problem in this country as well as an absurd number of people who want to throw open the borders and let anyone who wants to wander across the border do so and get all the rights of citizens without being citizens. That's why we need to ensure that only people legally permitted to vote actually do.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #156
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I agree with your second statement but would also add that change is not necessarily better, either. I simply see no good reason to insist on photo ID at this late stage. As a long-term, as in a couple of years, goal I have no problem with it. What I have a problem with is politicians pushing something through then insisting it be implemented in a few, short months.

    Why did they wait until 2012 to get these laws passed?
    Why must they be enforced without a reasonable grace period for people to conform to the new laws?

    - and I don't mean reasonable to those who already have or could easily get an ID. I mean to those who don't have ID"s and can't easily get them for various reasons. If voter fraud was such a HUGE problem then these laws should have been passed in 2009 or 2010 and there would have been two years or more for people with problems to figure out how to get ID's. Since everything had to be rush-rush at the last minute the only assumption I can make is that there is a political agenda here that's using voter fraud as a convenient excuse to leave a group of legit voters out in the cold.
    I agree that it should be phased in over a reasonable period of time.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #157
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It's not just the government that can track you today. Welcome to the modern world. You can be tracked a million different ways every day.
    Of course you can! Like I said, I've watched it happen. Where do you think Google makes all it's money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The only people who have a right to vote in this country are actual, legal American citizens. We have a massive illegal alien problem in this country as well as an absurd number of people who want to throw open the borders and let anyone who wants to wander across the border do so and get all the rights of citizens without being citizens. That's why we need to ensure that only people legally permitted to vote actually do.
    Immigration is another subject completely and illegal immigration a different subject beyond that. Neither has anything do to with voter ID laws as being discussed here. AFAIK all states in this country understand and recognize that only certain citizens can vote and 49/50 states have voter (pre-)registration requirements where applicants are checked and those laws as well as residency laws are enforced. Photo ID laws do not enhance the voter registration process.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #158
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,797

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    I cant vote because there inst enough background

    Id support voter ID IF:
    all current IDs are acceptable Drivers license, BC, Gun Permit, SS Card, military ID, passport etc
    and after all those if there was a voter ID card available that was quick, easy, free and very easily accessible.
    and then even if a person couldnt get access to something if when they go to vote all they have to do is verify some personal info and sign they voted and that would still be good enough.

    then YES Id support it.

    If its not that easy then no of course not because its going to infringe on peoples ability to vote.

    ALSO since this stuff is going on right now, another reason I would currently be against it is because of the timing of its implementation? if the criteria above isnt met already then I think its wrong. Start it AFTER this election so it can hit the ground running.


    so as a wrap up if its easy free and readily available and done in a timely manner go for it

    if its bound to stop people from voting or have a right to then HELL NO of course not, I care about my fellow american even if I dont like them or agree with them
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #159
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Oh, really? Voter discrimination has NEVER happened before?
    You are right of course, it was done by Democrats before.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  10. #160
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    A voter registration card that is stamped upon voting is sufficient.

    Republicans used to intensely oppose requiring government identity papers.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •