View Poll Results: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    60 63.83%
  • againt

    34 36.17%
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 209

Thread: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

  1. #141
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Lizzie specifically mentioned fraud by mail-in ballet. My guess from your response is you didn't really read the post to which I responded before reading mine. Don't get PO'ed at me because I actually responded to her post and you misinterpreted my response.
    My point was generic in nature regarding where and why laws are enacted, and yet still square in line with your comments as a generic comment, as I clearly noted when I said, "(on any subject, not just this)".

    Let it go. You made your point, I made mine. Anything further is just arguing for pride's sake.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #142
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    I have no problem showing my I.D., however, let's not kid ourselves about what this voter I.D. "law" is all about. It is clearly an effort by the American Taliban to suppress votes from democrat constituants.

    I found this YouTube clip that pretty much sums up my viewpoint on the whole "non-problem."


    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,779

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I believe you've said that already.
    We have voter ID laws here and have had for a very long time but we don't require a photo ID.
    Why not? I get tired of asking the same questions and getting no answers.

    Just because it's always been done that way doesn't mean it should be that way.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #144
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    I have no problem showing my I.D., however, let's not kid ourselves about what this voter I.D. "law" is all about. It is clearly an effort by the American Taliban to suppress votes from democrat constituants.

    I found this YouTube clip that pretty much sums up my viewpoint on the whole "non-problem."

    Tea Party being the "American Taliban". Ya know... I can't really argue against that.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #145
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Why not? I get tired of asking the same questions and getting no answers.

    Just because it's always been done that way doesn't mean it should be that way.
    I agree with your second statement but would also add that change is not necessarily better, either. I simply see no good reason to insist on photo ID at this late stage. As a long-term, as in a couple of years, goal I have no problem with it. What I have a problem with is politicians pushing something through then insisting it be implemented in a few, short months.

    Why did they wait until 2012 to get these laws passed?
    Why must they be enforced without a reasonable grace period for people to conform to the new laws?

    - and I don't mean reasonable to those who already have or could easily get an ID. I mean to those who don't have ID"s and can't easily get them for various reasons. If voter fraud was such a HUGE problem then these laws should have been passed in 2009 or 2010 and there would have been two years or more for people with problems to figure out how to get ID's. Since everything had to be rush-rush at the last minute the only assumption I can make is that there is a political agenda here that's using voter fraud as a convenient excuse to leave a group of legit voters out in the cold.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  6. #146
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,779

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I agree with your second statement but would also add that change is not necessarily better, either. I simply see no good reason to insist on photo ID at this late stage. As a long-term, as in a couple of years, goal I have no problem with it. What I have a problem with is politicians pushing something through then insisting it be implemented in a few, short months.
    Using it for this election, I agree, it's unlikely that any state would be able to pass a law that would apply in November and pass any kind of legal muster. As a law that needs to be instituted nation-wide though, it's absolutely essential. Of course, the liberals aren't complaining that these laws shouldn't be passed for this election, they're arguing they shouldn't be passed at all, ever.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #147
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,009

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Why did they wait until 2012 to get these laws passed?
    Why must they be enforced without a reasonable grace period for people to conform to the new laws?

    - and I don't mean reasonable to those who already have or could easily get an ID. I mean to those who don't have ID"s and can't easily get them for various reasons. If voter fraud was such a HUGE problem then these laws should have been passed in 2009 or 2010 and there would have been two years or more for people with problems to figure out how to get ID's. Since everything had to be rush-rush at the last minute the only assumption I can make is that there is a political agenda here that's using voter fraud as a convenient excuse to leave a group of legit voters out in the cold.
    The move to try to have voter ID has been an ongoing issue for at least 4 election periods as a major push and for even longer before not as controversial. 2000 seems to be the real beginning of the push with the Bush FL issue. Many laws seem to be awaiting pre-clearence under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act or have only recently received it. So this isn't a new issue or even a rush job for this election.

    While I won't comment on the rest of the site (because I have not looked it over) this page seems to be made of purely factual information regarding voter ID laws, with no bias in either direction. Wikipedia also has a page with some history on the issue but it's Wikipedia so take with a grain of salt and check the references.

  8. #148
    Sage
    jet57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    not here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    24,695

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Requiring voter ID is simply repression of a constitutional right that has been brought into the election process by the right for the purposes of control within a timeframe that will make difficult for everyone to get an ID before the election.

    It's cheating.
    “The people do no want virtue; but they are the dupes of pretended patriots” : Elbridge Gerry of Mass; Constitutional Convention 1787

  9. #149
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    It is of dire importance to the survival of the GOP to make all attempts to stifle any and all votes they can from their detractors. They must, whenever the oppertunity presents itself, redraw district lines, use false information and suppress minority voters any way they can. Dire measures are required in dire situations.

    You do notice how many states have this issue on their agendas that are dominated by the GOP powers that be right? You DO know that voter fraud actually only makes up for less than a few thousandths of 1%, right? And we do know that the only people who would be affected and oppressed would be the ones most likely to vote democrat. Do the math.

    The GOP should just man up and say it.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #150
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Using it for this election, I agree, it's unlikely that any state would be able to pass a law that would apply in November and pass any kind of legal muster. As a law that needs to be instituted nation-wide though, it's absolutely essential. Of course, the liberals aren't complaining that these laws shouldn't be passed for this election, they're arguing they shouldn't be passed at all, ever.
    I'm not sure that's true. Some few may say that but overall I think a lot of concerns are the same concerns I've expressed. Once it was established that ID's would be free many people said "OK" because that addressed their concern. In addition to cost my hang-up has been the time-frame and once we get past that I'll say "OK", as will many others. By the time these concerns are actually addressed instead of just laughed at as "excuses" I think you'll find most will be in agreement and there won't be an issue.

    The only real concern left after those is the government tracking people, which many see as a step closer to Big Brother - and that concern comes from both sides of the aisle. Personally, I think those people are behind the times or, in their view, already too late.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 09-02-12 at 06:41 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •