View Poll Results: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    60 63.83%
  • againt

    34 36.17%
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 209

Thread: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

  1. #131
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Voter registration and ID? Sure.
    Photo ID? No.
    Why not? Photo IDs ought to be legally required for everyone.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #132
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    And none of the new voter ID laws would stop that kind of abuse - assuming it's happening at all.
    Maybe, maybe not. Do murder laws stop murders? We still have murders, but it's probably safe to say that some are stopped because the penalty for murder dissuades at least a few people.

    Not to mention the punishment aspect for those who still choose to do what society deems unacceptable. Really, saying a law (on any subject, not just this) would not thwart people isn't really the point behind having a law. The point is, "we" deem it unacceptable and... while we hope you won't do it, should you still choose to do it anyway... then you will pay a price if you still choose to do it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #133
    Educator OnWisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    04-07-16 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    710

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    IMO, anyone who cannot pull themselves together enough to obtain the necessary ID is not a responsible citizen. I simply do not trust such a person and I do not want them engaged in a political process which they obviously do not take very seriously.

    For cripes sake! What sort of ne'er-do-well assh#le cannot produce a valid form of identification? Not only should such a person not be allowed to vote, but they should get a swift kick in the groin to boot!
    who are you or anyone else to say who should and shouldn't be involved in the political process. Poor people deserve a voice too, and you have no right to tell them they shouldn't.
    Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    - Abraham Lincoln

    Before the war is ended, the war party assumes the divine right to denounce and silence all opposition to war as unpatriotic and cowardly.
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

    God, how patient are Thy poor! These corporations and masters of manipulation in finance heaping up great fortunes by a system of legalized extortion,
    and then exacting from the contributors--to whom a little means so much--a double share to guard the treasure!
    - Robert M. LaFollette, Wisconsin Governor and U.S. Senator

  4. #134
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    who are you or anyone else to say who should and shouldn't be involved in the political process. Poor people deserve a voice too, and you have no right to tell them they shouldn't.
    Actually, he does have the right... to express his opinion. Doesn't mean he's correct, but he does have the right.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    who are you or anyone else to say who should and shouldn't be involved in the political process. Poor people deserve a voice too, and you have no right to tell them they shouldn't.
    And they can have a voice, but a voice does not come without effort. If one cannot be bothered to make an effort, why should they have a voice?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #136
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Do murder laws stop murders? We still have murders, but it's probably safe to say that some are stopped because the penalty for murder dissuades at least a few people.

    Not to mention the punishment aspect for those who still choose to do what society deems unacceptable. Really, saying a law (on any subject, not just this) would not thwart people isn't really the point behind having a law. The point is, "we" deem it unacceptable and... while we hope you won't do it, should you still choose to do it anyway... then you will pay a price if you still choose to do it.
    Photo ID voter laws will not stop voter fraud by mail. If you disagree with that you can explain how that would be accomplished.


    As for voter fraud at the polls:
    We already have voter fraud laws on the books. Your argument here would seem to suggest we don't need ID's at all, that the law itself should be sufficient. Even I disagree with that sentiment.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 09-02-12 at 04:13 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #137
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    And they can have a voice, but a voice does not come without effort. If one cannot be bothered to make an effort, why should they have a voice?
    I would say that they have chosen to not have a voice. Not always, but for the most part, in today's society, if you don't have a valid ID of some sort, it's because it wasn't that big of a deal to you. Even people who lose their driver's licenses for whatever reason can get valid state-issued IDs for everyday use.

    As a general rule. There will, of course, be some exceptions to this general rule, but they will be just that... exceptions.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #138
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Why not? Photo IDs ought to be legally required for everyone.
    I believe you've said that already.
    We have voter ID laws here and have had for a very long time but we don't require a photo ID.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #139
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Photo ID voter laws will not stop voter fraud by mail. If you disagree with that you can explain how that would be accomplished.


    As for voter fraud at the polls:
    We already have voter fraud laws on the books. Your argument here would seem to suggest we don't need ID's at all, that the law itself should be sufficient. Even I disagree with that sentiment.
    I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. In fact, mine was exactly the opposite, and was in counter to your seeming suggestion that it is unnecessary to have laws at all since laws don't always thwart undesired behavior. You post came off as, "Why have laws at all if laws do not work in every single instance, bar none?".
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #140
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Are you for or against vote ID to vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I have no idea how you came to that conclusion. In fact, mine was exactly the opposite, and was in counter to your seeming suggestion that it is unnecessary to have laws at all since laws don't always thwart undesired behavior. You post came off as, "Why have laws at all if laws do not work in every single instance, bar none?".
    Lizzie specifically mentioned fraud by mail-in ballet. My guess from your response is you didn't really read the post to which I responded before reading mine. Don't get PO'ed at me because I actually responded to her post and you misinterpreted my response.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •