View Poll Results: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nukes?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    12 21.05%
  • no

    45 78.95%
Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 598

Thread: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

  1. #541
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    It being wasteful spending is you opinion, not a proven fact. I personally see us wasting far more money uselessly on welfare, medicaid, HUD and other completely useless programs. On the other hand, removing one of the most evil leaders in the world was definitely a good thing for mankind. But then again, that is only my opinion, not a proven fact.
    How exactly has the world benefited from killing Saddam and a ten year war in Iraq?

  2. #542
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    It being wasteful spending is you opinion, not a proven fact. I personally see us wasting far more money uselessly on welfare, medicaid, HUD and other completely useless programs.
    You see the spending on welfare and medicaid as more useless than spending money on a war overseas, against a country that didn't pose any grave threat to us? I think we should protect our own people first before we try and protect others.

  3. #543
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    Okay, what would be your solution in today's world, at this point in time? Iran, Afghanistan, most of Africa, North Korea, Venezuela, Russia, China, some places in South America, the list goes on and on. If you think that we can simply just go to one country, fix it up, and move on to the next, that's not reality.
    Simple, start with the most egregious offenders, Iran would probably top the current list. NK is of course on the list, but since they are pretty much isolated and don't really affect that much outside of South Korea, which has pretty good defenses of it's own and only needs our aid not us doing it all for them, then countries like Iran, who export and sponsor acts in other countries should have the higher priority. China, we are already addressing, or were non-militarily (we had a good working plan for awhile there, some one has just dropped the ball on it). Russia is not really that hard to address since a lot of it's problems actually stem from not getting their economy up and running properly. We could help them out with that, even have tried a few times, if they would let us. South America isn't really that big a deal either, a lot of their problems stem from our addiction to drugs. That is clearly evil happening because of our actions, but not our military ones. And we should stay out of civil wars unless it is against an allied government and sponsored/supported from outside that country. In Africa, Somalia would probably be first, it's piracy is causing too much trouble.

    Many, many places don't really need intervention. Most of Central and South America, a large part of Asia. Their governments are not really evil or oppressive, just not effective economically. Even Venezuela, I don't agree with their current government, but as long as they are not murdering or torturing innocent people over political/religious beliefs, I don't see why we should tell them what government they should have. We should only be stepping in when it involves the government sponsored murder and torture of people or support of terrorist organisations. And then only after addressing it in other fashions. Iran has had sanctions against it for a long time, they are not working. They have been offered technology for nuclear plants that would not allow the creation of nuclear weapons, but they have refused. They continue to sponsor terror in Iraq and have caused violent uprisings in other Muslim countries. They are currently supporting an oppressive regime in Syria.

  4. #544
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Simple, start with the most egregious offenders, Iran would probably top the current list. NK is of course on the list, but since they are pretty much isolated and don't really affect that much outside of South Korea, which has pretty good defenses of it's own and only needs our aid not us doing it all for them, then countries like Iran, who export and sponsor acts in other countries should have the higher priority. China, we are already addressing, or were non-militarily (we had a good working plan for awhile there, some one has just dropped the ball on it). Russia is not really that hard to address since a lot of it's problems actually stem from not getting their economy up and running properly. We could help them out with that, even have tried a few times, if they would let us. South America isn't really that big a deal either, a lot of their problems stem from our addiction to drugs. That is clearly evil happening because of our actions, but not our military ones. And we should stay out of civil wars unless it is against an allied government and sponsored/supported from outside that country. In Africa, Somalia would probably be first, it's piracy is causing too much trouble.

    Many, many places don't really need intervention. Most of Central and South America, a large part of Asia. Their governments are not really evil or oppressive, just not effective economically. Even Venezuela, I don't agree with their current government, but as long as they are not murdering or torturing innocent people over political/religious beliefs, I don't see why we should tell them what government they should have. We should only be stepping in when it involves the government sponsored murder and torture of people or support of terrorist organisations. And then only after addressing it in other fashions.

    Iran has had sanctions against it for a long time, they are not working. They have been offered technology for nuclear plants that would not allow the creation of nuclear weapons, but they have refused. They continue to sponsor terror in Iraq and have caused violent uprisings in other Muslim countries. They are currently supporting an oppressive regime in Syria.
    Wow... you have the only answer for the rest of the world. I just get so tickled..

  5. #545
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Simple, start with the most egregious offenders, Iran would probably top the current list. NK is of course on the list, but since they are pretty much isolated and don't really affect that much outside of South Korea, which has pretty good defenses of it's own and only needs our aid not us doing it all for them, then countries like Iran, who export and sponsor acts in other countries should have the higher priority. China, we are already addressing, or were non-militarily (we had a good working plan for awhile there, some one has just dropped the ball on it). Russia is not really that hard to address since a lot of it's problems actually stem from not getting their economy up and running properly. We could help them out with that, even have tried a few times, if they would let us. South America isn't really that big a deal either, a lot of their problems stem from our addiction to drugs. That is clearly evil happening because of our actions, but not our military ones. And we should stay out of civil wars unless it is against an allied government and sponsored/supported from outside that country. In Africa, Somalia would probably be first, it's piracy is causing too much trouble.

    Many, many places don't really need intervention. Most of Central and South America, a large part of Asia. Their governments are not really evil or oppressive, just not effective economically. Even Venezuela, I don't agree with their current government, but as long as they are not murdering or torturing innocent people over political/religious beliefs, I don't see why we should tell them what government they should have. We should only be stepping in when it involves the government sponsored murder and torture of people or support of terrorist organisations. And then only after addressing it in other fashions. Iran has had sanctions against it for a long time, they are not working. They have been offered technology for nuclear plants that would not allow the creation of nuclear weapons, but they have refused. They continue to sponsor terror in Iraq and have caused violent uprisings in other Muslim countries. They are currently supporting an oppressive regime in Syria.
    So we go after Iran, which if you think Iraq caused us trouble, it will be nothing like the trouble that would be caused by Iran. Then we go after North Korea, which has nuclear weapons. Then we move onto other countries. And by that time, we will have more and more enemies.

    No, this wouldn't be "simple".

  6. #546
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    How exactly has the world benefited from killing Saddam and a ten year war in Iraq?
    Iraq no longer funds al-Qaida terrorists.

  7. #547
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    Iraq no longer funds al-Qaida terrorists.
    And has no WMDs?

  8. #548
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    So what is this great evil we have done? I know you mentioned one thing earlier, but that was not truly evil that we did, but was the result of our response to someone else's evil, in the end, the evil we were fighting against actually bears responsibility for those results. What is your definition of evil? Those non-violent protest do sometimes work here where we value human life, but do they work places where the government is the evil they are protesting and that government kills and tortures those speaking out against them? Because they may not be Americans, we should just turn a blind eye to that evil?

    It also says provide for the common welfare. Don't you think fighting wars in other peoples countries is better than doing it in ours? Isn't that better for the general welfare than our civilians being displaced and killed during a war?
    I've told you I don't condone evil no matter who's flag its done under. I also don't believe in killing people to control oil. Just as was the case with Iraq, Iran does not have the capability to be a military threat to the US, or its neighbors.

    We need to get our own house in order before we start worrying about countries that are of no threat to us. Have you heard anything at all about our national debt?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #549
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I've told you I don't condone evil no matter who's flag its done under. I also don't believe in killing people to control oil. Just as was the case with Iraq, Iran does not have the capability to be a military threat to the US, or its neighbors.

    We need to get our own house in order before we start worrying about countries that are of no threat to us. Have you heard anything at all about our national debt?
    Not that I completely disagree with you, but do you think it would be a good idea to allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons?

  10. #550
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Should we bomb Iran to prevent their getting nuclear weapons

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    It being wasteful spending is you opinion, not a proven fact. I personally see us wasting far more money uselessly on welfare, medicaid, HUD and other completely useless programs. On the other hand, removing one of the most evil leaders in the world was definitely a good thing for mankind. But then again, that is only my opinion, not a proven fact.
    That's one of the main differences between conservatives and liberals, conservatives place a higher priority on spending for US hegemony in the world than they do for the welfare of their fellow citizens.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •