View Poll Results: Is it a racist remark?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely Not

    27 43.55%
  • No

    22 35.48%
  • Yes

    6 9.68%
  • Yes with out a doubt

    7 11.29%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 217

Thread: The Food Stamp President

  1. #11
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    What's wrong with a government agency running ads to encourage those eligible for a government program to apply to it?
    I never understood that myself. Bad economy, people struggling, let people know about what benefits are there for them.

    To answer the question, no it is not racist under the definition of the word. Matthiew's point is that there is a racial component to the attacks(that is different from racist), and that is something no one on this board can answer for sure since it is an issue of intent, and none of us planned that aspect of the campaign.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #12
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by Schutzengel View Post
    Whose perception? You assume that those "uninformed" people see blacks as a monolithic group... Have you ever stopped to think that most people see individuals and not groups?
    Have you ever stopped to think that people have stereotypes about other groups of people? It's called racism and it's ugly.


  3. #13
    Advisor Truckstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Have you ever stopped to think that people have stereotypes about other groups of people? It's called racism and it's ugly.
    Just because you automatically think black when you hear "food stamps" doesn't mean everyone does. The people that claim to "know what someone else means" are way worse than any actual racist. At least the racist hates for an actual (stupid) reason. You make up what someone else supposedly believes in your little head and then attack them for it. Disgusting.

  4. #14
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Have you ever stopped to think that people have stereotypes about other groups of people? It's called racism and it's ugly.
    Maybe then you should seek help about your stereotyping people based upon race.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Personally I do not think it is racist.

    It is not accurate to reference him as the Food Stamp POTUS anymore than any other POTUS since the program was created.

    About the same number of people joined the program during the Bush and Obama administrations. In 2008 under Bush when the economic went into a downward spiral more people became eligible.

    Welfare has skyrocketed under obama, through the roof.
    The Food Stamp President-republican-welfare-chart-jpg

  6. #16
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,297
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Calling Obama the Food stamp President I don`t believe is nessecarily racist...

    It`s just incredibly stupid.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Yes, it is racist. It's racist, because most uninformed people think it's black who use food stamp the most. Whether they are or not it makes no difference. It's the perception that counts.
    So in your opinion you can't say anything that uninformed people might take the wrong way?

  8. #18
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Calling Obama the Food stamp President I don`t believe is nessecarily racist...

    It`s just incredibly stupid.
    Yeah there are so much better descriptions

    1) the unemployment president

    2) the 6 Trillion dollar Man

  9. #19
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Here's the thing that some of you don't seem to understand about racism: White people don't get to decide what minorities are and aren't allowed to find racist. You KNOW perfectly well that they consider associations with food stamps to be racist, and I'm sure Newt Gingrich knows that too. So when you CONTINUE to make these kind of remarks knowing perfectly well that they are perceived as racist, you no longer get to claim that it's just some innocuous misunderstanding. At the very least, it's purposely being an asshole to people on account of their race. I'm not sure if you can draw a distinction between that and "racist comments," but it comes pretty damn close.

    Think of it this way. Suppose you have a friend, and you say something that hurts your friend's feelings (it doesn't really matter what you said). Suppose you didn't INTEND to offend her, but she interpreted it differently than you meant it. Which of the following do you think is a better response, assuming you actually respect this friend and want her to continue to like you?
    (A) "I'm sorry that my comments offended you. I didn't realize that they would have that effect, but since I respect you, I won't make those kind of comments again."
    (B) "You have no right to be offended. You're always playing that card. And by the way, I'm going to continue saying exactly those kind of comments."

    And Republicans wonder why nearly 100% of blacks vote against them...
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-28-12 at 11:35 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #20
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,297
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Welfare has skyrocketed under obama, through the roof.
    The Food Stamp President-republican-welfare-chart-jpg
    Do you think that`s because of Obama.

    Or perhaps the greatest economic collapse since the great depression, combined with a credit freeze and a populace unwilling to spend money for fear of the next round of collapse has anything to do with a slowing economy that left so many people without work and so have to use welfare to survive...

    No of course not it`s just because he was elected...

    And Turtledude, as a lawyer you should be ashamed of yourself for liking that post. After all isn`t it one of the most basic fallacies one can commit.

    post hoc ergo propter hoc

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •