View Poll Results: Is it a racist remark?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely Not

    27 43.55%
  • No

    22 35.48%
  • Yes

    6 9.68%
  • Yes with out a doubt

    7 11.29%
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 217

Thread: The Food Stamp President

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by GmH View Post
    Is it a racist remark to call President Obama the food stamp President? According to Chris Mathews there is no question about it it is a racist remark
    It's a label which refers to Obama's social policies. It has nothing to do with race.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Here's the thing that some of you don't seem to understand about racism: White people don't get to decide what minorities are and aren't allowed to find racist. You KNOW perfectly well that they consider associations with food stamps to be racist, and I'm sure Newt Gingrich knows that too. So when you CONTINUE to make these kind of remarks knowing perfectly well that they are perceived as racist, you no longer get to claim that it's just some innocuous misunderstanding. At the very least, it's purposely being an asshole to people on account of their race. I'm not sure if you can draw a distinction between that and "racist comments," but it comes pretty damn close.

    Think of it this way. Suppose you have a friend, and you say something that hurts your friend's feelings (it doesn't really matter what you said). Suppose you didn't INTEND to offend her, but she interpreted it differently than you meant it. Which of the following do you think is a better response, assuming you actually respect this friend and want her to continue to like you?
    (A) "I'm sorry that my comments offended you. I didn't realize that they would have that effect, but since I respect you, I won't make those kind of comments again."
    (B) "You have no right to be offended. You're always playing that card. And by the way, I'm going to continue saying exactly those kind of comments."

    And Republicans wonder why nearly 100% of blacks vote against them...
    I'm sorry some minorities think it's a racist term. We know our intent, which is something we decide, not minorities, so if minorities see it differently then I respect that view as their opinion.

  3. #133
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Well, since its called the "southern strategy" and it was designed to use blacks as scapegoats to get the white racist vote then perhaps labeling blacks as lazy and undeserving of handouts might be a stereo-type that white southerners could identify with.
    So there is no real reason, just some fiction created for a political marketing strategy. There is still no basis in reality for these diatribes.

  4. #134
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    I don't think so. There's a lot of what I think as racist innuendo referring to the President but associating him with increased use of food stamps that nobody can deny, I don't think should be included.

    -He's only half black
    -We only voted for him because he's black; blacks ONLY voting for him because he's black (unlike Al Sharpton, Alan Keyes, Carol Mosely Braun, ect.) or white due to white guilt (see same list)
    -Declaring he has a deep seeded hatred for white people
    -The birther movement, attributing after school fights on school busses to the election of President Obama
    -Gloating over the very recent increases in urban crime while making a connection to President Obama especially if the drastic decreases in urban crime at the beginning of his Presidency were ignored by the same people who are seemingly celebrating the increases
    -Singling out black people (or is it blah people?) for being uniquely lazy and prone to an expectation of entitlement especially considering most people on welfare are not black (or blah).
    -(dis)Honorable mention for a huge list of double standards where he's been demonized while previous political leaders have done similar things have not or if so not with the same level of intensity or emotionalism that cannot conclusively be attributed to race but does make people secretly question the difference and arrive at their own unspoken conclusions.

    But citing the increased number of people on food stamps, no.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  5. #135
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    That is absurd. If someone said that Allen West is a chicken-and-watermelon-eating, spear-chucking savage who's going to rape your daughters, you don't think there would be anything racist about that?
    Certainly I would say there is something racist about that. Spear-chucker is a racist term. That being said, welfare and food stamps are not racist terms.

    The willful ignorance of people is depressing.
    On the contrary, your willingness to engage in projection of the worst kind is sad. You are otherwise a powerful voice for your side. It is the left that racializes welfare, not the right. It is the left who insists on seeing the world in terms of race, and then insists that it's opponents must do so as well.

    Do you support welfare for the same reason that people support affirmative action?

  6. #136
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    anywho, looking at the poll it's nice to see that thus far the racialists are heavily outnumbered.

  7. #137
    Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    967

    The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Why do people pay so much attention to GE's spokespeople?

    OK, we know GE is for the Democrats because GE makes the vast majority of it's revenue from government contracts and the Dems are the big spenders.

    So of course they will make specious claims against Republicans like claiming they are racist and other such ridiculous bull****.

    What gets me is that so many people will watch MSNBC without understanding that it is GE's propaganda outlet. It's like they don't even know they are watching a commercial.
    I call BS. GE is a huge defense contractor as well, and I've met few Republicans in govt. who turn down the chance to support more defense spending.

  8. #138
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If it was simply a matter of falsely screaming racism for political reasons, then why can't the Republican Party manage to get more than 10% of the African-American vote?
    Because it works? But perhaps you can tell us, kandahar. is driving a pickup truck racist?

    that african americans vote democrat is no more a sign that republicans are racist against blacks than the fact that asians vote republican is a sign of the fact that democrats hate asians.

    I mean, surely SOME of these voters would see through the Democratic ruse of screaming racism for political reasons?
    Not really. The American electorate is rather low-information.

    Unless of course you're going to argue that they're a hive mind who can't think for themselves, and/or that the Democrats have thoroughly brainwashed nearly all of them, which is, incidentally, ****ing racist.
    Fascinating claim. Herman Cain hates black people?






    If anything here is derogatory and demeaning to African Americans, it is democrats proprietary relationship towards them.
    Last edited by cpwill; 08-29-12 at 08:30 AM.

  9. #139
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Romney knows he doesn't have the Black, Hispanic and perhaps now even the womens vote so he's pandering to shore up the only base he has left, the white male conservatives, especially those in the deep southern confederate states who consistantly vote by wide margins for the GOP...and they love those coded buzzwords and dog whistles cuz it gits em all riled up.
    as i recall you are a woman from the north-mid-west. As a conservative deep southern male, allow me to assure you, you have no idea what you are talking about

  10. #140
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: The Food Stamp President

    Quote Originally Posted by kandahar
    Here's the thing that some of you don't seem to understand about racism: White people don't get to decide what minorities are and aren't allowed to find racist.
    Ah. You mean minorities like Chris Matthews? But not minorities like Shelby Steele? Here's the thing you don't seem to understand about racism: you thinking that something is racist does not make it racist. Racism does not exist in the ear of the recipient, but the mind of the sender.

    You KNOW perfectly well that they consider associations with food stamps to be racist
    Why in the world would black people consider food stamps to be racist?

    Oh, wait, the reason they make that connection is because people like you choose to try to make it part of the narrative, because it allows you to paint the opposition not as wrong, but as evil, therefore reinforcing without evidence your own self-image of moral superiority. They Don't Disagree Because They Think We're Wrong, They Disagree Because They Are Evil.

    That's no better than claiming that pro-choicers are really pro-murdering-babies, or that pro-lifers are pro-enslaving women. It's the assumption that those who oppose your means must also oppose your motives, and it's a particularly nasty little
    fallacy.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •