View Poll Results: The U.S. Government at the highest levels: Friends or Foes?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friends

    5 13.16%
  • Foes

    21 55.26%
  • Neutral

    12 31.58%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: The US Government

  1. #1
    Professor
    sKiTzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    OC California
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,213

    The US Government

    Judging by it's actions (meaning what they DO, not what they SAY), do you believe the actions of the US government (the spending, the war-mongering, trampling the constitution, passing deceptive bills that erode checks and balances, increasing instances of non-accountability, trillions funneled to black projects, etc.) do you believe their actions show that they are for our greater good or are they to the contrary, benefitting only those at the top of the pyramid?

  2. #2
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: The US Government

    The US government is the most benevolent force in the world, and would never do anything to hurt anyone ever.








































































































































    The US Government-200px-trollface-svg-png
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: The US Government

    I disagree with your assertion in the options given that they are for the top tier. They are obviously for themselves, they will sell anyone out to futher their own "careers" as politicians. You are far more likely to find and capture a Unicorn than to find an actuall non-selfish honest politician that is not more absorbed with their own wealth and power than with "public" good. One of the things that led to Romney's presumed nomination is the fact that although he did hold a political office previously, Politics has not been his life long career. Can Obama say that or has he been pretty much a Political hack most of his life and never held many or for long, an honest job.

  4. #4
    Educator Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    961

    Re: The US Government

    The government is an inanimate thing, therefore it cannot be either "friend" or "foe." However, politicians in Congress and/or the Senate can be harmful to our way of life. Which category does each particular individual fall into? Do they really mean well for the average American, or do they care only for easing things for the rich/corporations/funders of lobbyists?
    "The measure off intelligence is the ability to change." Albert Einstein

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: The US Government

    it's impossible to accurately make the sweeping judgement called for in the OP without first breaking down the incredibly complex organization into its component parts. i vote rutabaga.

  6. #6
    Professor
    sKiTzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    OC California
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,213

    Re: The US Government

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I disagree with your assertion in the options given that they are for the top tier. They are obviously for themselves, they will sell anyone out to futher their own "careers" as politicians. You are far more likely to find and capture a Unicorn than to find an actuall non-selfish honest politician that is not more absorbed with their own wealth and power than with "public" good. One of the things that led to Romney's presumed nomination is the fact that although he did hold a political office previously, Politics has not been his life long career. Can Obama say that or has he been pretty much a Political hack most of his life and never held many or for long, an honest job.
    They are absolutely for themselves, but they take orders from the top tier beneficiaries (puppeteers) and they consider themselves top tier as well. Ron Paul was that unicorn.

  7. #7
    Professor
    sKiTzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    OC California
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,213

    Re: The US Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1 View Post
    The government is an inanimate thing, therefore it cannot be either "friend" or "foe." However, politicians in Congress and/or the Senate can be harmful to our way of life. Which category does each particular individual fall into? Do they really mean well for the average American, or do they care only for easing things for the rich/corporations/funders of lobbyists?
    The latter.

  8. #8
    Professor
    sKiTzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    OC California
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,213

    Re: The US Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    it's impossible to accurately make the sweeping judgement called for in the OP without first breaking down the incredibly complex organization into its component parts. i vote rutabaga.
    That is kind of why I said "at the higher levels", but I'm just talking about the end product - their actions. What do their actions tell us about what we are getting with the current government? I want to see that we are all in agreement about it then we can narrow it down.

  9. #9
    Educator Rosie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    961

    Re: The US Government

    I just heard a statistic the other day. Historically, past governments where the rights of the people in societies lower rungs/poor were ignored, or where they were not allowed to vote/influence their governments, those governments ended in revolution. That is a scary statistic, since the gap of rich to poor has been growing in America. What can we do to build up the middle class? What is working in some countries and not ours? Have we become so polarized politically, that we cannot figure out what will work and just do it?
    "The measure off intelligence is the ability to change." Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: The US Government

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie1 View Post
    I just heard a statistic the other day. Historically, past governments where the rights of the people in societies lower rungs/poor were ignored, or where they were not allowed to vote/influence their governments, those governments ended in revolution. That is a scary statistic, since the gap of rich to poor has been growing in America. What can we do to build up the middle class? What is working in some countries and not ours? Have we become so polarized politically, that we cannot figure out what will work and just do it?
    Drastically reduce our dependence on outsourced goods, create jobs, and put people in them.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •