View Poll Results: Should people who believe in fate be banned from government?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, fatalism is anti-social.

    0 0%
  • Yes, fatalism contradicts the exercise of influence.

    1 9.09%
  • No, fatalists are equal members of society.

    10 90.91%
  • No, fatalists deserve the right to influence others.

    0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I could, but fatalism has nothing to do with mob justice, so if you want to lash out at your critics, you don't really need my replies on the issues to do so.
    Are majorities predetermined in accordance with the distribution of emotions in advance of an election?

  2. #22
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    If I say 2+2=4, is it wrong just because I say so?
    You are not special. Your ideas are not so self-evidently perfect that you get to be the sole arbiter of who is and isn't "threatening the downfall of civilization." If your belief that fatalism threatens the downfall of civilization is as obvious as 2+2=4, then it should be quite easy for you to convince the voters of it, and thus there is no need to ban anyone as they simply won't win elections in the first place.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #23
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Are majorities predetermined in accordance with the distribution of emotions in advance of an election?
    Again - the issue has nothing to do with fatalism.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You are not special. Your ideas are not so self-evidently perfect that you get to be the sole arbiter of who is and isn't "threatening the downfall of civilization." If your belief that fatalism threatens the downfall of civilization is as obvious as 2+2=4, then it should be quite easy for you to convince the voters of it, and thus there is no need to ban anyone as they simply won't win elections in the first place.
    Why is anyone obligated to convince others of anything to deserve respect?

    You sound like you're on an inquisition right now.

  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Why is anyone obligated to convince others of anything to deserve respect?
    You don't need to convince anyone of anything to deserve respect. But you DO need to convince others that you are correct if you want to keep people with certain beliefs out of power. You don't get to ban them from office just because you don't like their views; you keep them out of office by beating them in elections. Otherwise it's nothing more than a dictatorship...in which case your poll question should stop beating around the bush and just read "Should Daktoria be the dictator of the world?"
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

    I've never heard of anyone whose life code ius "fatalism". Any such "belief" is is probably just a chosen form of expression. Believing in "fate" is just like believing in "god".

    Most of our owners/rulers/puppet masters purport belief in "god". We not only don't reject them for believing in something unproven and invisible, we seem to DEMAND it of them. So "fatalism" is a non-issue.

  7. #27
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    For better or worse. Denying prescience while believing in fate allows someone to get away with self-fulfilling prophecy as a matter of coincidence.
    Everybody's gotta be motivated by something, Dak. Don't see why a fatalists bull**** smells any worse than a non-fatalists bull****. Policy must be made regardless of unintended consequences.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You don't need to convince anyone of anything to deserve respect. But you DO need to convince others that you are correct if you want to keep people with certain beliefs out of power. You don't get to ban them from office just because you don't like their views; you keep them out of office by beating them in elections. Otherwise it's nothing more than a dictatorship...in which case your poll question should stop beating around the bush and just read "Should Daktoria be the dictator of the world?"
    No, some beliefs, such as fatalism, are inherently disrespectful. You can reread my OP and the original post you quoted for justification.

    This isn't about me not liking fatalism. It's about the analytic definition therein.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I've never heard of anyone whose life code ius "fatalism". Any such "belief" is is probably just a chosen form of expression. Believing in "fate" is just like believing in "god".

    Most of our owners/rulers/puppet masters purport belief in "god". We not only don't reject them for believing in something unproven and invisible, we seem to DEMAND it of them. So "fatalism" is a non-issue.
    Are you saying abstract values don't deserve respect?

    You sound like an anarchist who believes in might makes right.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Should People Who Believe in Fate be Banned from Government?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Everybody's gotta be motivated by something, Dak. Don't see why a fatalists bull**** smells any worse than a non-fatalists bull****. Policy must be made regardless of unintended consequences.
    I agree. Every form of BS should be banned. Fatalism is just one form.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •