View Poll Results: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody rights?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 2.22%
  • No

    76 84.44%
  • Other

    12 13.33%
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 235

Thread: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody[W:56]

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,964

    Re: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody right

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    The woman who wrote the article isn't very believable.

    Do you think she was raped?

    Why or why not?
    Yes, I do, I have no reason to doubt her.

    Why do you think she isn't believable?
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  2. #62
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody right

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    What interests me here is that in most cases of rape the convicted is supposed to be prohibited by law from contacting the victim iirc, and with good reason. I would think that a law enforcing parental rights for a person convicted of forcible rape directly contradicts the former and given that the disgusting aspects of continual psychological trauma should be enough to invalidate any rights claims of said rapist just the law prohibiting harassment after the fact should suffice. All in all I just don't get why a rapist should even be out of prison much less have any claim to parental rights.

    Unfortunately most rapists that dont murder and are not sentenced as serial rapists get out of prison eventually. I voted other without giving it enough thought...I jumped at the thought to give the mother and victim the right to decide...but I dont see any mother/rape victims having thoughts of giving him visitation rights...

  3. #63
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody right

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Unfortunately most rapists that dont murder and are not sentenced as serial rapists get out of prison eventually. I voted other without giving it enough thought...I jumped at the thought to give the mother and victim the right to decide...but I dont see any mother/rape victims having thoughts of giving him visitation rights...
    It's a tricky topic to an extent, I would think under circumstances where the mother wants to grant some custody this wouldn't be much of an issue, for the forcible stuff though I just don't see too many victims with a pregnancy willingly granting the attacker those rights. For statutory obviously the tricky part kicks in, and for incapacitation rape there to me is about as much gray area as forcible. "Other" does have some room in the debate, I personally voted no because in my own head it was violent rape that stood out.
    Last edited by LaMidRighter; 08-26-12 at 02:29 AM.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #64
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody right

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's a tricky topic to an extent, I would think under circumstances where the mother wants to grant some custody this wouldn't be much of an issue, for the forcible stuff though I just don't see to many victims with a pregnancy willingly granting the attacker those rights. For statutory obviously the tricky part kicks in, and for incapacitation rape there to me is about as much gray area as forcible. "Other" does have some room in the debate, I personally voted no because in my own head it was violent rape that stood out.
    I agree with you..I jumped the gun voting other...I

  5. #65
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody right

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I agree with you..I jumped the gun voting other...I
    I think other actually fits as well as no after reading others opinions. No to me though is about a court or state granting any non-statutory rapist custody.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #66
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody right

    Jeez - all rape is bad

    An intentional violation of one's life, body and rights shouldn't suddenly grant you some sort of notable status in their life unless they WANT you to be.

    When you've crossed those BLATANT ****ing lines you should accept your relinquishing those rights that maybe you would have had if the pregnancy happened in a NORMAL ****ing relationship.

    and I need ot stop coming into this thread lest I earn another badge of dishonor - it seems the only thing that I'm ever admonished for is my temper in rape topics because some people are just ****ing retards.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #67
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody right

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Jeez - all rape is bad

    An intentional violation of one's life, body and rights shouldn't suddenly grant you some sort of notable status in their life unless they WANT you to be.

    When you've crossed those BLATANT ****ing lines you should accept your relinquishing those rights that maybe you would have had if the pregnancy happened in a NORMAL ****ing relationship.

    and I need ot stop coming into this thread lest I earn another badge of dishonor - it seems the only thing that I'm ever admonished for is my temper in rape topics because some people are just ****ing retards.

    That makes alot of sense auntie....rape is such a dispicable crime it makes my skin crawl to be around those scumbags and ive had that displeasure to many times in my life..

  8. #68
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody right

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    That makes alot of sense auntie....rape is such a dispicable crime it makes my skin crawl to be around those scumbags and ive had that displeasure to many times in my life..
    Rapists are sick human beings, and I use that term lightly.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #69
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody right

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Rapists are sick human beings, and I use that term lightly.

    Theres no doubt...its even more evident and heart wrenching to see the aftermath of what they do...it HURTS to be around women that have been raped...it hurts to have to ask them to be specific...it hurts to look in their face...

  10. #70
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: If a man fathers a child through rape, should he have visitation or custody right

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yes - women's rights mean that she can keep whatever children she has if that is how she wants it.
    So she can relive a sexual assault every time she looks into her childs eyes? That sounds more like a depraved act of self-torture. If she wants to keep it, fine with me, but I'd have to consider the woman to be both mentally and emotionally unstable.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •