View Poll Results: Are Ronmey's undisclosed tax returns equal in importance to Obama's college records?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Obama's college records are of equal value to Romney's tax returns

    19 20.00%
  • No. Its just the best political come back the GOP can come up with under the circumstances

    42 44.21%
  • Neither tax or college records matter in the election.

    22 23.16%
  • Other

    12 12.63%
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 209

Thread: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96,172

    Re: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    It's clear from Romney and his team that there is nothing in Romney's tax records that are an issue for anybody. It sure would shut up Obama if they were released.
    So lets see them in that case.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #32
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,771

    Re: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    There has been much in the news lately about Mitt Romney's tax returns that he won't release. Many of his supporters claim its unnecessary, irrelevant and then cite President Obama's undisclosed college records as presumably an equal example of their opposition not being completely transparent while holding Romney to a double standard. I'm probably the most objective person I know on political matters if I must say so myself. I think both Obama and Romney have something to hide. However, I don't think Obama's college records are anywhere near as relevant a campaign issue as Mitt Romney's taxes for a variety of reasons. My question is do you think President Obama's college transcripts are equally relevant and an important factor to consider in the 2012 election as Mitt Romney's undisclosed tax returns?
    Since a major part of this election is about the future spending/taxation of the Federal Government yeah I think it's relevant. Romney is proposing tax cuts to individuals like himself. If he's getting reamed over taxes and in need of tax breaks I'm not sure why he doesn't provide his tax returns.
    ďPeople of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.Ē
    *Adam Smith*

  3. #33
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,460

    Re: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

    It's funny how a certain Ivy League lawyer who has been making fallacious assumptions, for the past 2 years, on Obama's college records from 20 years ago, now finds Romney's undisclosed taxes for the past 5-10 years irrelevant. If only this election weren't about the economy, I'm sure his tune would change quite radically and he'd see no problem with Romney releasing his taxes. Here, I'll make an assumption based on the same amount of evidence this poster claims to have.

    "Romney is rich, therefor he hasn't paid taxes".

    Evidence for this claim? Zero. But that's okay. Because I pay taxes too and that makes me an authority on them.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,436

    Re: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

    Quote Originally Posted by code1211 View Post
    Amnesty appears on a tax return? What line is that?
    How Romney's Swiss accounts were closed would be on his tax forms. How he got $100 million in his IRA will also be there.

  5. #35
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Thank you very much for this link. I really had no idea our tax codes were that screwed up. I was especially interested in the accelerated depreciation used by Pepco to eliminate taxes. I imagine if we took a look at CEO salaries, that's where the tax savings ended up.

    A majority in both houses shouldn't be wasted. It makes me nuts that the party who preaches about this from morning 'til night didn't use their majority power to close these loopholes. Hell! I'da voted for 'em if they had.
    MaggieD, I donít think this is actually new to you. Just the Cayman Island corporations are essentially just a PO Box with a local that will collect the mail, forward your mail and post your mail for your PO Box Corporation. Iíve posted about this several times. Itís even been on a few news programs over the years. Glad you have been informed now. If you want to change the laws to cover this itís difficult for more reasons than youíd think. For example write a law that covers both a US business could have a division in Japan where it pays their high taxes, or Cayman with no taxes.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    31,005

    Re: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

    Taxers...birthers...transcripters...

    None of it is important.

    Instead, look to the public record of accomplishments of each candidate. If you do, you'll have more than enough factual information upon which to make your voting decision.
    TANSTAAFL

    ďAn armed society is a polite society.Ē
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    05-23-18 @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,649
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    While there are some similarities, the differences far outweigh the similarities. However, the one similarity that is most important is that there is no obligation to release either.
    Disagree, even if I like your argument.
    A man running for office - being a public servant - must be more open about all things.
    Probably just me, but I advocate complete openness....but then , I'd receive few votes...
    But, Romney should receive even fewer votes !
    13% on his millions
    11% on my thousands
    Is this right ?
    Or fair ?

  8. #38
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    31,005

    Re: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Disagree, even if I like your argument.
    A man running for office - being a public servant - must be more open about all things.
    Probably just me, but I advocate complete openness....but then , I'd receive few votes...
    But, Romney should receive even fewer votes !
    13% on his millions
    11% on my thousands
    Is this right ?
    Or fair ?
    Soooo...

    Do you think you should be paying 13%? Or do you think Romney should be paying 11%?

    You know...just to be fair...
    TANSTAAFL

    ďAn armed society is a polite society.Ē
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  9. #39
    Liberal Fascist For Life!

    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:24 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    94,663
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Disagree, even if I like your argument.
    A man running for office - being a public servant - must be more open about all things.
    Probably just me, but I advocate complete openness....but then , I'd receive few votes...
    But, Romney should receive even fewer votes !
    13% on his millions
    11% on my thousands
    Is this right ?
    Or fair ?
    There is a difference between obligation and having no repercussions. If a candidate decides not to release information that voters want, voters may choose not to vote for him. I think it would be wrong to require those things by law.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  10. #40
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,460

    Re: Are Romney's undisclosed taxes equally relavant to Obama's college records?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Taxers...birthers...transcripters...

    None of it is important.

    Instead, look to the public record of accomplishments of each candidate. If you do, you'll have more than enough factual information upon which to make your voting decision.
    Yeah... bragging about running an event just slightly more relevant than the Special Olympics doesnt rank all that higher than community activist.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •