It is interesting that those on the right say with great pride that they want a nation where everybody can strive to be in that top 1% and achieve wealth and power. Funny thing - that still leaves 99% with much less no matter how you cut the cake or reshuffle the cards.
The problem IS NOT how to get some few into the top 1%. It is how to have the 99% have a bigger slice of the pie so the disparity between rich and the rest of us is not a Grand Canyon type chasm. Ignoring that goal is NOT a good recipe for national health or longevity.