View Poll Results: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 11.11%
  • No

    31 86.11%
  • I don't know

    1 2.78%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 76

Thread: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

  1. #61
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    The solution is obvious. The federal government must forcibly implant identification microchips at the base of the skull of all eligible voters. It's the only way!
    You dont need to go to that extreme but yes a national ID would fix a lot of problems.. including illegal immigration No ID, no job.. anyone working without a job, the employer gets fined first, and second time goes to jail. Watch the illegal problem poof pretty fast.
    PeteEU

  2. #62
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    You dont need to go to that extreme but yes a national ID would fix a lot of problems.. including illegal immigration No ID, no job.. anyone working without a job, the employer gets fined first, and second time goes to jail. Watch the illegal problem poof pretty fast.
    As a libertarian, I am against any immigration restrictions, so "illegal immigration" is not something I see as a problem. I welcome all foreigners with open arms, everybody should be allowed to come to this country and become a citizen with no major restrictions. Freedom of movement is a human right.

    Any argument that uses illegal as a noun is instantly suspect to me. There is a lot of racism behind those who oppose immigration reform.

  3. #63
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    As a libertarian, I am against any immigration restrictions, so "illegal immigration" is not something I see as a problem. I welcome all foreigners with open arms, everybody should be allowed to come to this country and become a citizen with no major restrictions. Freedom of movement is a human right.

    Any argument that uses illegal as a noun is instantly suspect to me. There is a lot of racism behind those who oppose immigration reform.
    Impressive, but does not change the fact that a national ID would solve a lot of problems with the minimal intrusion into the privacy of the citizen.
    PeteEU

  4. #64
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    I think I misread the question. I thought you meant requiring people to register to vote whether they were actually going to vote or not. Because I am against forcing people to do that.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  5. #65
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    As a libertarian, I am against any immigration restrictions, so "illegal immigration" is not something I see as a problem. I welcome all foreigners with open arms, everybody should be allowed to come to this country and become a citizen with no major restrictions. Freedom of movement is a human right.

    Any argument that uses illegal as a noun is instantly suspect to me. There is a lot of racism behind those who oppose immigration reform.
    Just curious (and not meaning to get too sidetracked)...

    Contrary to popular perception, we have never allowed literally everybody in who wanted to come. (Yes, I realize you did say "everybody", but then qualified it with "no major restrictions") Even in the heyday of Ellis Island we turned away known criminals and diseased individuals. Do you have a restrictions at all?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #66
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,583

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Yeah. Turns out hundreds of felons came out to vote for ole Al. Since he won by only a few hundred votes, it makes it an interesting question as to whether or not we currently have a sitting Senator who did not actually win his seat.
    Interesting lies, now how about the facts? Franken won the election by over 300 votes. The allegations well after the fact were that as many as 400 felons may have come to polls that day. This was suggested by a conservative action group in Minnesota and then was investigated. Here are the results of that investigation: "In October 2010, the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office concluded an extensive investigation into 110 allegations of fraud, which resulted in six charges being filed — two individuals were charged with the separate felonies of registering to vote while ineligible and voting while ineligible and four others were charged with voting while ineligible."

    As to the claim that over 400 felons voted: "About 270 were clearly inaccurate."

    Every single ballot was looked at and both sides had to agree that they were properly completed and submitted. The only argument the Franken/Coleman election serves to prove is that our system is transparent and effective. It's very frustrating that people are willing to believe blatant lies in favor of a simple fact check. Not only is it a lie that hundreds of felons voted, the felons who did vote were actually charged for doing so.
    Last edited by Mustachio; 08-18-12 at 03:57 PM.
    A working class hero is something to be

  7. #67
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Radcen: the privacy portion never went into my head. I won't go far as to refer to black aircraft but it's not really a concern.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #68
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Radcen: the privacy portion never went into my head. I won't go far as to refer to black aircraft but it's not really a concern.
    And you're probably right. I am aware that there are times that I get a little too cynical. But, in my defense, I still occasionally see news stories that exceed even my cynicism.

    On any political topic, I mean, not just voting.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #69
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    And you're probably right. I am aware that there are times that I get a little too cynical. But, in my defense, I still occasionally see news stories that exceed even my cynicism.

    On any political topic, I mean, not just voting.
    Well, as far as I know there had not been any real concerns. If you vote in the caucus, it will be easier for people to know you affiliation due to proximity, but for the most part much is fine. I'm the son of a lobbyist- a lobbyist who prefers to keep their political inclinations silent so as to be able to more effectively make pitches and network with all groups to benefit the group that is represented through the lobbying.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 08-18-12 at 06:02 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  10. #70
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    I voted no

    but I base that on the premise that the IDs will be readily available and free.
    Of course state drivers licenses and state IDs should be acceptable along with other IDs, photo gun licenses, pass ports etc.

    But If a person doesnt have one of those the task should be super easy and free to obtain a vote ID card.

    If its not then I would say yes it is pushing the limits
    just wanted to add to what I already said because I think its a very very valid point.

    Since an election is so close all laws concerning this should not be absolute till the next election. Cant remember who said it but I think it is shady or harmful or restrictive to implement these changes so close to election time "IF" its mandatory and theres no loop holes this first time around and there isnt QUICK and FREE access to obtain an ID.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •