View Poll Results: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 11.11%
  • No

    31 86.11%
  • I don't know

    1 2.78%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76

Thread: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Why wouldn't we want to affect the outcome? The affect is people that can legally vote proving they can legally vote. To be honest, and I know someone will take offense but whatever. I think one of the reasons for the big push for voter id laws is to counter President Obama's executive order regarding illlegal immigrants.
    There is no evidence that voter fraud has ever effected a presidential election. However, many people who are legally able to vote won't be able to due to voter ID laws assuming passage(how many is many is unknown of course, but potentially enough to affect the outcome). While the idea itself has merit, doing it to try and tilt the outcome to the advantage of those making the laws, which is how this appears, is something to avoid. There is zero reason to suspect fraud will affect the outcome, but these laws have that potential.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #22
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is no evidence that voter fraud has ever effected a presidential election. However, many people who are legally able to vote won't be able to due to voter ID laws assuming passage(how many is many is unknown of course, but potentially enough to affect the outcome). While the idea itself has merit, doing it to try and tilt the outcome to the advantage of those making the laws, which is how this appears, is something to avoid. There is zero reason to suspect fraud will affect the outcome, but these laws have that potential.
    You are engaging in the same argument as I am, just on the opposite side. You readily admit that the amount of people that can legally vote but would not due to not having an id is unknown. I admit that no one knows if voter fraud is definitely occuring. However, the fact is that only citizens are allowed to vote and citizens can only vote one time per political office. So why not follow the law instead of try to avoid it for the few who are too lazy to get up and get an id? I believe that we can agree that if someone is too lazy to get up and get an id they are probably too lazy to get up and go vote.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #23
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    You are engaging in the same argument as I am, just on the opposite side. You readily admit that the amount of people that can legally vote but would not due to not having an id is unknown. I admit that no one knows if voter fraud is definitely occuring. However, the fact is that only citizens are allowed to vote and citizens can only vote one time per political office. So why not follow the law instead of try to avoid it for the few who are too lazy to get up and get an id? I believe that we can agree that if someone is too lazy to get up and get an id they are probably too lazy to get up and go vote.
    Who said anything about not following the law? I certainly didn't. My grandmother did not have an ID the last few years of her life. Didn't need one, didn't have access to get one and with the dificulty in getting a new ID card these days, was not worth it to her. If she tried to vote, would she be following the law? Was she lazy in her wheelchair?

    We do not have ambition requirements to vote and shouldn't. Complaining about lazy people is not going to make your argument. If voter ID laws are a good idea, why not wait till next year(or 3 years ago) when it is not as likely to affect a presidential election.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    So what exactly are they pushing it for then, in your opinion?
    because many of the voters who the laws affect would probably vote democrat. that's part of the reason republicans push these laws.

  5. #25
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Who said anything about not following the law? I certainly didn't. My grandmother did not have an ID the last few years of her life. Didn't need one, didn't have access to get one and with the dificulty in getting a new ID card these days, was not worth it to her. If she tried to vote, would she be following the law? Was she lazy in her wheelchair?

    We do not have ambition requirements to vote and shouldn't. Complaining about lazy people is not going to make your argument. If voter ID laws are a good idea, why not wait till next year(or 3 years ago) when it is not as likely to affect a presidential election.
    Agreed, we don't have ambition requirements and I never said we did or should. However, your argument is the same as mine in that you are basing your opinion off of a guess. That is, the guess of how many people wouldn't be able to vote due to not having an id card versus the guess that voter fraud is occurring due to a lack of id laws. The difference is that the law is on the side of my guess while a mere feeling is on yours. The law states that a person must be a citizen and can only vote once for each race. No law states everyone should vote. It simply says they can if they want. And if they want too, they have to go get an id card, if I had my way.
    Also, if your grandma can wait in line to vote, she can wait in line for an id card. The line wouldn't be that long. Most people have a drivers license.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #26
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Agreed, we don't have ambition requirements and I never said we did or should. However, your argument is the same as mine in that you are basing your opinion off of a guess. That is, the guess of how many people wouldn't be able to vote due to not having an id card versus the guess that voter fraud is occurring due to a lack of id laws. The difference is that the law is on the side of my guess while a mere feeling is on yours. The law states that a person must be a citizen and can only vote once for each race. No law states everyone should vote. It simply says they can if they want. And if they want too, they have to go get an id card, if I had my way.
    Also, if your grandma can wait in line to vote, she can wait in line for an id card. The line wouldn't be that long. Most people have a drivers license.
    You where the one bringing up lazy people, and you are the one wanting to tell people who are US citizens they cannot vote. I am the one saying if it ain't broke, don't fix it until you can minimize the posible damage from the change.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #27
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    because many of the voters who the laws affect would probably vote democrat. that's part of the reason republicans push these laws.
    So its a ploy to exclude the illegal immigrants that would illegally vote for the President who provides amnesty? What's the issue with that?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #28
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You where the one bringing up lazy people, and you are the one wanting to tell people who are US citizens they cannot vote. I am the one saying if it ain't broke, don't fix it until you can minimize the posible damage from the change.
    Can you quote where I said I didn't want US citizens to vote?
    You are the one saying that you THINK that some people wouldn't be able to vote because they don't have an id. I'm the one saying that I THINK that people are voting illegally. Which, by the way, has more validity that your guess because it has actually happened. Nevertheless, like I said, I am looking to enforce law. You are looking to make people feel included.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  9. #29
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Can you quote where I said I didn't want US citizens to vote?
    You are the one saying that you THINK that some people wouldn't be able to vote because they don't have an id. I'm the one saying that I THINK that people are voting illegally. Which, by the way, has more validity that your guess because it has actually happened. Nevertheless, like I said, I am looking to enforce law. You are looking to make people feel included.
    It is an inevitable byproduct of the law that US citizens will not be able to vote.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #30
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is Requiring Voters to Register an Unreasonable Intrusion on the Right to Vote?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It is an inevitable byproduct of the law that US citizens will not be able to vote.
    It is an inevitable byproduct of not having the law that non-citizens will vote. Once again, in the grand scheme of it all, I'd rather have a few lazy citizens not voting than illegal ones voting.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •