View Poll Results: Should a person have the right to choose death?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    60 92.31%
  • No

    5 7.69%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 178

Thread: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 12:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    It's no one's business but the individual's if they want to commit suicide or not.
    Suicide is the result of mental illness. That is our business.

    Ending your life because of debilitating physical pain and illness is compassionate.

    Kevorkian turned people away when their mental capacity was in question.

    The state should have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it...unless someone is assisting someone to die, then the state should make sure that the person granting this right is of sound mind and not under coercion.
    The state should always be involved in euthanasia.


    But, if i want to commit suicide, I should not have to prove I am sane, since it is my life to end if I choose. The onus must be on the state to prove I am not sane - not the other way around.
    I disagree. The mere fact you want to end your life is usually evidence of mental illness -- a test should be compassionate but thorough.


    In other words, people should not need to get approval from a shrink before they are legally allowed to snuff it.
    They should be legally allowed to snuff it unless the state can prove they are not of sound mind.

    It is totally ridiculous that so many people actually feel the state has the moral right to force me to stay alive whether I wish to or not.
    The state has a moral obligation to protect you from harming yourself--when you are mentally ill. You are like a driver under the influence -- your perception of reality is skewed and your emotions heightened.

  2. #72
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,464

    Re: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

    Article in the OP: This is just disgusting.

    No one has the right to tell anyone what they can and cannot do with their bodies, and their lives. They are essentially condemning this man to torture. Why, exactly?

    I will never understand we why afford our pets more dignified deaths than other human beings. I'd put down my cat in a heartbeat if she were that miserable, and I love her dearly. I'd help my family and friends, if I could. It would hurt like hell, but it's not about me. It's about my concern for their happiness and livelihood, and indeed, their right to determine under what conditions they will live. No one deserves to suffer like that, and sheer audacity of making them sickens me.

    I think suicide should be legal, provided a a couple of brief tests to rule out things like acute psychiatric crisis, reaction to meds, or physiological issues that can cause sudden mental illness. I don't think mental illness in and of itself should be an automatic disqualifier. We are simply not able to treat all cases, and living with severe, untreatable mental illness is like living with any other serious disease. Not every suicide of a mentally ill person is some irrational, spur of the moment decision. Many are carefully considered after years of deepening and unresponsive suffering.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 12:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

    The main objections to a person's right to euthanasia are religious but also political in our current "nanny state" way of thinking, where the State has control over every detail of life.

    People who are not overawed by these religious and social sanctions should be able to chose euthanasia as a personal right.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,250

    Re: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Suicide is the result of mental illness. That is our business.

    Ending your life because of debilitating physical pain and illness is compassionate.
    That's got to be in the running for the stupidest thing I've seen here in a while. Suicide, killing yourself, is the result of a mental illness, but assisted suicide, with someone else helping you, is compassionate?

    The only difference is in whether or not you're capable of doing it without assistance.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  5. #75
    Sage
    DA60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,651

    Re: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Suicide is the result of mental illness. That is our business.

    Ending your life because of debilitating physical pain and illness is compassionate.

    Kevorkian turned people away when their mental capacity was in question.



    The state should always be involved in euthanasia.




    I disagree. The mere fact you want to end your life is usually evidence of mental illness -- a test should be compassionate but thorough.




    The state has a moral obligation to protect you from harming yourself--when you are mentally ill. You are like a driver under the influence -- your perception of reality is skewed and your emotions heightened.
    The state should stay the 'f' out of everyone's life unless they are hurting others.

    If I wish to hurt myself with addictions to drugs, booze, gambling, food, porn or anything else, that is my business and absolutely none of the governments.

    The same goes for suicide. My life is my own...and providing it does not directly hurt anyone else, what I choose to do with it is my business alone.

    Period.


    Have a nice day.
    Last edited by DA60; 08-19-12 at 06:08 PM.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,250

    Re: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    The state should stay the 'f' out of everyone's life unless they are hurting others.

    If I wish to hurt myself with addictions to drugs, booze, gambling, food, porn or anything else, that is my business and absolutely none of the governments.

    The same goes for suicide. My life is my own...and providing it does not directly hurt anyone else, what I choose to do with it is my business alone.

    Period.


    Have a nice day.
    I agree with everything you say there, so long as, when you have injured yourself doing drugs, booze, gambling, food, porn or anything else, you never turn to the taxpayer for any assistance. After all, if it's your right to do what you want to your body, it's your responsibility to take care of the problems caused by your choices. That means if you end up dying in the street after overdosing, the state isn't responsible to come help you out.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  7. #77
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    11-09-16 @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

    Ultimately, I have the last word in whether I live or commit suicide. I am not the type to let others do for me. The last thing I do is live by the "black letter" of the law, nonetheless, I cannot expect another to commit this last act in my life if it carries both civil and criminal penalties. However, as the state becomes more and more paternalistic the state should have provisions for assisted suicide under certain circumstances.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,250

    Re: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Ultimately, I have the last word in whether I live or commit suicide. I am not the type to let others do for me. The last thing I do is live by the "black letter" of the law, nonetheless, I cannot expect another to commit this last act in my life if it carries both civil and criminal penalties. However, as the state becomes more and more paternalistic the state should have provisions for assisted suicide under certain circumstances.
    As far as I'm concerned, so long as you have a legal document granting permission to assist in suicide, by the suicidee, it ought to be legal for anyone to assist you in suicide. Of course, there would have to be controls in place to stop coerced suicides, but if I want my wife to kill me because I'm terminally ill and cannot do it myself, she ought to be able to do it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

  9. #79
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    11-09-16 @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, so long as you have a legal document granting permission to assist in suicide, by the suicidee, it ought to be legal for anyone to assist you in suicide. Of course, there would have to be controls in place to stop coerced suicides, but if I want my wife to kill me because I'm terminally ill and cannot do it myself, she ought to be able to do it.
    Of course, if all is legal I am speaking of where it is not legal...

    Moreover, my "advance directive" dictates the conditions by which I am to be terminated.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    26,250

    Re: Euthanasia and assisted suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Connery View Post
    Of course, if all is legal I am speaking of where it is not legal...
    Right now, nothing is legal. I think it all should be.

    Moreover, my "advance directive" dictates the conditions by which I am to be terminated.
    While I have an advance directive too, they will never terminate you. At best, they will take you off of life support. If you continue to live, they will take no further action.

    I want someone to be able to kill me, not just hope nature takes it's course.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! The Bitchspot Blog YouTube me! The Bitchspot Channel

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •