View Poll Results: A disaster hits your area and you have 100 rounds. What weapon to bring?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • AR-15 Semi-Auto 5.56 or AR-10 in .308

    9 21.43%
  • AK-47 or in 7.62 to .308

    7 16.67%
  • 3030 to .308 lever action rifle

    2 4.76%
  • 3030 to .308 bolt action rifle

    5 11.90%
  • Any revolver from .38 to 454 Casull

    5 11.90%
  • Any Auto Pistol from 9mm to .50 cal

    5 11.90%
  • Knife or Other: Please Explane.

    8 19.05%
  • None

    1 2.38%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 112

Thread: If you had the choice of only one weapon...

  1. #1
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    If you had the choice of only one weapon...

    A s a disaster hit your area and it was about survival, period. You also have only 100 rounds of ammo and enough food and water for a day or 2 at most. Which weapon would you bring?

    I would have to go with something that can take a beating as it may be awhile. Simple to maintain and good for defense or hunting. I also want something light weight that will not waist to much ammo.

    In the end I went with the lever 3030. It's light with a good rate of fire easily controlled and good for general defense or hunting.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 08-12-12 at 11:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #2
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: If you had the choice of only one weapon...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    A s a disaster hit your area and it was about survival, period. You also have only 100 rounds of ammo and enough food and water for a day or 2 at most. Which weapon would you bring?

    AR-15 Semi-Auto
    30.30 to .308 lever Action
    AK-47 (7.62 or 5.56)
    Any bolt hunting long rifle of 270 to .308
    Any Shotgun .20 to .10 Gauge
    Any revolver .38 Special to 454 Casull

    I would have to go with something that can take a beating as it may be awhile. Simple to maintain and good for defense or hunting. I also want something light weight that will not waist to much ammo.

    In the end I went with the lever 3030. It's light with a good rate of fire easily controlled and good for general defense or hunting.

    A Red Jacket made AK 103 in 545X39

    utterly reliable and that round is lighter in weight and recoil than the 762x39 and is far more lethal. It is also very accurate and can kill deer out to 300M reliably. with the sort of optics I would put on it, you can also make head shots at that distance if need be. shotgun ammo weighs far too much, lever actions are less reliable, and transfer far too much recoil. revolvers are a poor option when a rifle is available unless concealed carry is needed.

  3. #3
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: If you had the choice of only one weapon...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    A s a disaster hit your area and it was about survival, period. You also have only 100 rounds of ammo and enough food and water for a day or 2 at most. Which weapon would you bring?

    I would have to go with something that can take a beating as it may be awhile. Simple to maintain and good for defense or hunting. I also want something light weight that will not waist to much ammo.

    In the end I went with the lever 3030. It's light with a good rate of fire easily controlled and good for general defense or hunting.
    Well, I guess I voted wrong. I thought about self-defense, not hunting. So I voted Other: Shotgun. If I was thinking about hunting, then I'd take a rifle.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #4
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: If you had the choice of only one weapon...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    A s a disaster hit your area and it was about survival, period. You also have only 100 rounds of ammo and enough food and water for a day or 2 at most. Which weapon would you bring?

    I would have to go with something that can take a beating as it may be awhile. Simple to maintain and good for defense or hunting. I also want something light weight that will not waist to much ammo.

    In the end I went with the lever 3030. It's light with a good rate of fire easily controlled and good for general defense or hunting.
    Probably an AK47- it's takes a lickin and keeps on tickin.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #5
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: If you had the choice of only one weapon...

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    A Red Jacket made AK 103 in 545X39

    utterly reliable and that round is lighter in weight and recoil than the 762x39 and is far more lethal. It is also very accurate and can kill deer out to 300M reliably. with the sort of optics I would put on it, you can also make head shots at that distance if need be. shotgun ammo weighs far too much, lever actions are less reliable, and transfer far too much recoil. revolvers are a poor option when a rifle is available unless concealed carry is needed.
    Is it better then the 7.62x39 mm? Not for targets closer then 300 meters, but the flater trajectory and lesser bullet drop due too weight makes it better beyond 500 meters.
    Is it better then the 7.62x51 mm? Not in any situation, other then you can carry twice the ammo for the same wieght.

    Not a bad choice for long distance, but up close I have to disagree. You are not going to be sniping deer, lol.

    I would still take my 3030 over that any day for a survival situation for many reasons.

    If I was going to take an AK? It would be my 22" barrle Saiga .308. I have yet to be out shot with it. This does not say much, lol.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 08-12-12 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #6
    Educator
    Chiefgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lake Jem, FL pop:35
    Last Seen
    05-08-15 @ 08:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: If you had the choice of only one weapon...

    I voted Other:Shotgun

    I cede TD's point on the ammo weight, but the variety of ammo makes up for IMHO. I cannot reach out an touch someone/something with a shotgun like you can with the 3030, but a slug is accurate for a good distance. I can use #9 for birds, squirrels etc, and I can have 00 buck and or slugs for for bigger game.

    You shoot a squirrel with a 3030, you have nothing left for your stew...
    As a dreamer of dreams and a travellin' man, I have chalked up many a mile.
    Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of their styles!

  7. #7
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: If you had the choice of only one weapon...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Is it better then the 7.62x39 mm? Not for targets closer then 300 meters, but the flater trajectory and lesser bullet drop due too weight makes it better beyond 500 meters.
    Is it better then the 7.62x51 mm? Not in any situation, other then you can carry twice the ammo for the same wieght.

    Not a bad choice for long distance, but up close I have to disagree. You are not going to be sniping deer, lol.

    I would still take my 3030 over that any day for a survival situation for many reasons.
    well you said we only had two days supplies

    you have your lever action and I my AK

    when push comes to shove I am going to have whatever supplies you started with

    and yes the 545 is better than the 762X39 at closer ranges

    that is why the SOviets adopted it. because they realized at assault rifle ranges our 556 mm NATO was a better round than the COMBLOC 762x39

    I own all three type of weapons in SEVERAL different configurations. I have AK and AR platforms in all three calibers. In fact I spent most of this morning shooting a 762X39 KRINKOV pattern Bulgarian ARSENAL. 3030 has a looping trajectory compared to the intermediate cartridges

    and the wound channels of the 545x39 in the original soviet 53 grain Wasp bullets are outrageous. far worse than most of the 762 NATO stuff

    where the 762 NATO is clearly better is past 600M

    btw that is proven by the fact that the USAMU and the USMCST dropped the M14 rifles for the National Service Rifle championships (out to 600 yards) in favor of the 68 Grain 556 rounds

  8. #8
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: If you had the choice of only one weapon...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    I voted Other:Shotgun

    I cede TD's point on the ammo weight, but the variety of ammo makes up for IMHO. I cannot reach out an touch someone/something with a shotgun like you can with the 3030, but a slug is accurate for a good distance. I can use #9 for birds, squirrels etc, and I can have 00 buck and or slugs for for bigger game.

    You shoot a squirrel with a 3030, you have nothing left for your stew...
    I have some really good quality air rifles that will kill squirrels and birds, and since air rifles don't qualify as weapons, I didn't count them.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #9
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: If you had the choice of only one weapon...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    I voted Other:Shotgun

    I cede TD's point on the ammo weight, but the variety of ammo makes up for IMHO. I cannot reach out an touch someone/something with a shotgun like you can with the 3030, but a slug is accurate for a good distance. I can use #9 for birds, squirrels etc, and I can have 00 buck and or slugs for for bigger game.

    You shoot a squirrel with a 3030, you have nothing left for your stew...
    in a survival situation you'd trap squirrels or rabbits rather than shoot them. in a bird rich environment a shotgun could prove useful but carrying around that much ammo is tough

    if you are stationary, the 100 round limit is artificial. Most of us who actually are serious have at least 1000 rounds for our SHTF guns.

  10. #10
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: If you had the choice of only one weapon...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefgator View Post
    I voted Other:Shotgun

    I cede TD's point on the ammo weight, but the variety of ammo makes up for IMHO. I cannot reach out an touch someone/something with a shotgun like you can with the 3030, but a slug is accurate for a good distance. I can use #9 for birds, squirrels etc, and I can have 00 buck and or slugs for for bigger game.

    You shoot a squirrel with a 3030, you have nothing left for your stew...
    That's what the squirrel and possum traps are for, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •