View Poll Results: Will Ryan as VP help or hurt Romney win election?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will help Romney

    51 27.42%
  • It will hurt Romney

    84 45.16%
  • It will have no real effect on the outcome

    38 20.43%
  • Other, please explain

    13 6.99%
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 393

Thread: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

  1. #81
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    It will hurt him in some ways and help...explanation, It will hurt him with independents and senior babyboomers...it will help him with the far right and teaparty YOUNGER types. Will it in the end help Romney Overall to get elected....I dont think so...I put I dont think, because no one knows the answer to that at this point.
    I dont think Romeny wanted Paul Ryan I think Romney was pushed and prodded into a Paul Ryan by the far right.
    Good post.


    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Been doing some reading on the Ryan Pick...interestingly historically VP choices can hurt a candidates chances more than they can help...so ive read this morning. Meaning VPs dont help you get elected historically but can put a damper on you.
    I believe this.


    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Scott walker isnt the popular guy you think nor is his polices...recall elections are tough either way and The far right DUMPED hundreds of millions to keep scott in office and thats they only way he won...
    Actually the real reason he wasn't removed is because a sizable number of voters thought that what he did didn't qualify as grounds for removal. They didn't like what he did, but his reforms weren't something on the grounds for recall. I actually agree with them. Merely because you dislike the policies is hardly grounds for removal. Recall in many senses has to be done for something criminal.
    I'm not sure that the average voter is savvy enough to think through to whether the issue is worthy of a recall or not. They just see a person put before them.

    I believe that the overall issue... government waste run amok... resonated with most people, and that Scott was the first/only one to ever address it and make hard choices. It may not have been everybody's ideal solution, but it was something. Plus, it was too soon to accurately gauge any negative or positive repercussions.


    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Not being a popular politician from a battleground state, I don't think he will help tHat much but he won't hurt either, which is good. If Jeb Bush wasnt agreeable, would ave been my choice too.
    Right now, Jeb Bush's last name and family ties disqualifies him. I doubt voters are ready to go there again just yet.


    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The wonderful thing about this nomination is that no longer will the McCain choice of Sarah Palin be held up as the standard of incompetence.
    No. Palin was worse.


    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Obvious Child the big flaw in CPwills thinking and everyone like him is simple....MILLIONS of people only have social security income and medicare...NOTHING ELSE....millions of people have no income ...and whether or not cpwill likes it...these people need to continue to live and eat everyday...I know this offends the very rich that poor people have the ORDASITY to want to eat and have a place to sleep and a innoculations for their small children...and they cant find a job because they sent them all to China, India and Phillipines and Biafra...because they are much better people than poor trifling americans and those disgusting half dead babyboomers...and besides were RICH and were ENTITLED to all we can get from anyone in anyway....smirk
    That would be a sensible argument except that 1/3 of the US population is now getting some taxpayer assistance. It is very hard to believe that can be "good", while we have at least 15 million illegal aliens that can find work.
    Theory is fine. Relatively few people vote according to theory. Most people vote according to their own self-interests.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    09-10-12 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    317

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Obama wins, regardless of who Romney picks. There hasn't been enough time for all the negatives to play out, as moderates tend to be very slow learners.

    Plan on a landslide victory for Marco Rubio in 2016.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 08-11-12 at 12:11 PM.

  3. #83
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    It depends. Obama may use the "they want to kill old people" rhetoric due to Ryan's proposed overhaul of Medicare, and some people may be dumb enough to buy into it. As the election goes it may help him to win Wisconsin.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #84
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    This pick will hurt Romney for one reason:

    The independent voter.

    Paul Ryan is way too far right to sway most independents. His stance on medicare, and social security make him a darling for the far right but he looks like something else to independent minded voters.

    That is the key to every presidential election, and this pick will hurt that cause.
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  5. #85
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Obama wins, regardless of who Romney picks. There hasn't been enough time for all the negatives to play out, as moderates are very slow learners.

    Plan on a landslide victory for Marco Rubio in 2016.
    I think these will be the tickets in 2016 with an X beside who will win their parties primary.

    R
    Rand Paul
    Rubio
    Palin
    Huntsman
    Christie x
    Perry (lol)
    A couple more I'm forgetting

    D
    Hillary Clinton x
    O'Malley
    Elizabeth Warren
    Cuomo
    Bloomberg

    I think Hillary Clinton will win that election although Christie would be a BIG challenge (no Big Pun intended). Christie and Hillary debating would be great. The reason I believe Hillary would win is this. Her husband is a moderate Dem. After President Obama's Lenin impression for 8 years (yes, I think he'll win reelection) she can distance herself from him by stating A) I was the Secy of State, I had nothing to do with that B) I've seen my husband run the Executive Branch and I would compromise with the legislators C) I'm a woman. We had our first black POTUS, now we can have our first woman. All of this is predicated on the fact that I believe the R's will win the Senate and keep the House. People will grow disenchanted with both sides equally because we will continue with the gridlock we've had only it will be between the Senate and POTUS, not the House and the Senate. President Obama has NO reason to compromise anymore. He won't be seeking re-election. So when Hillary runs, she can say "I will compromise". The Republicans won't be able to say that because they just got done not doing it.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  6. #86
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It depends. Obama may use the "they want to kill old people" rhetoric due to Ryan's proposed overhaul of Medicare, and some people may be dumb enough to buy into it. As the election goes it may help him to win Wisconsin.
    What am I forgetting about Death Pannels?

  7. #87
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    oops! I miss voted. I meant to say that this hurts Romney.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #88
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    I think this hurts him, but I didn't see a whole lot of altnernatives to Ryan for Romney. Chris Christie maybe?
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #89
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It depends. Obama may use the "they want to kill old people" rhetoric due to Ryan's proposed overhaul of Medicare, and some people may be dumb enough to buy into it. As the election goes it may help him to win Wisconsin.
    All Romney would have to do is say "What happens to 75 year olds and older with the ACA? Oh, thats right, I read page 1,792 of the ACA sir." Thats because under Obamacare, the Independent Payment Advisory Board (an appointed 15 member board) can change Medicare reimbursement rates on older Americans without electoral ramifications. That's rationing folks, no two ways about it. All they have to do is lower the reimbursements and they make care too expensive. Where do you think is the first place they will go when Obamacare becomes another black hole of money just like SS and Medicare?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #90
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think this hurts him, but I didn't see a whole lot of altnernatives to Ryan for Romney. Chris Christie maybe?
    Yeah, Christie would have been his best bet I believe.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •