View Poll Results: Will Ryan as VP help or hurt Romney win election?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will help Romney

    51 27.42%
  • It will hurt Romney

    84 45.16%
  • It will have no real effect on the outcome

    38 20.43%
  • Other, please explain

    13 6.99%
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 393

Thread: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

  1. #301
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Ryan definitely hurts Romney for a number of reasons:

    1. Seniors - Especially in the MUST WIN state of Florida for Romney. There is no road to the whitehouse for Romney without Florida and Paul "I will gut SS and Medicare" Ryan is not going to be popular with the senior crowd. Florida was trending blue already, however, this seals the deal for Obama in Florida and essentially the Presidency.

    2. Students - One of Romney's only hopes of winning the whitehouse is that the student vote would stay home. Students turned out in huge numbers in 2008 to vote for Obama...many of them are apathetic today. However, with Paul "I will cut Pell grants and student aid" Ryan, Romney has accomplished for Obama what Obama would not have been able to do....energize the student vote to get out and vote. The one thing students care most about is higher education funding. Romney/Ryan has just provided Obama with the ignition to light a flame under these voters.

    3. Independents - Romney needs to the moderate/independent vote - Ryan hurts with the demographic. Ryan is too extremist fiscally for moderates/independents. Polling shows that moderates/independents are against the proposals in Ryans budget by large percentages. Socially, Ryan is off the deep end. Ryan will energize the teabaggers and the evangelicals, but Romney will need a huge shake of his Etch-A-Sketch to portray himself as a moderate/independent despite Ryan in order to bring in this group in any large numbers.

    4. Women - Romney has essentially written off the female vote. Polls early in the campaign showed Romney having some inroads into this demographic...a demographic that Republicans have lost for the last 2 decades. Ryan destroys any hope of Romney making any inroads here....in fact, I suspect Romney's numbers in this demographic will fall dramatically over the next month, especially after the convention and Ryans extremist views are more well known.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #302
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    You may want to read up on sequestration before you throw this ridiculous statement out.
    I've read the recent articles and followed the stories last August. AND?!?!?
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #303
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Some of us see the tax as not on someone dying, but rather someone GAINING, like a gift or the lottery... be thankful it isn't taxed like the lottery

    For sure the receiver of the estate did something to earn the gift, most likely being fortunate enough to be born or adopted into the wealthy family.

    Even the lame attempt to call it a 'death tax' doesn't change the fact few, if any people actually PAY the tax. First the tax doesn't kick in until the single person's estate is valued over 5 million dollars. Next given estate planning and gift tax relaxation, only spiteful Uber-riche would fail to dole out enough of their estate to duck below the 5 million dollar threshold.

    More whine from the very blessed over a non issue while they are sitting there fat and happy.

    Pathetic really...
    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    We can thank Frank Luntz for this and other semantic turds.

    Frank Luntz - SourceWatch
    In some ways, I love good spin. I appreciate the creativeness behind it. On the other hand, I also hate it, because too many people are gullible enough to fall for it. Anyway...

    • "Death Tax": Dishonest attempt at demonization.
    • "Estate Tax": Also dishonest, though not as blatantly. There is some truth to it. However, it is still a euphemistic spin attempt to make it sound less intrusive, and more palatable, than it really is.
    • "Inheritance Tax": Truthful AND accurate. *Gasp!!!* Oh... my... God... we obviously can't have that.


    If we could do it my way, we wouldn't have to quibble about stupid stuff like semantics. Pure flat tax, and income is income is income. Period.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #304
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I've read the recent articles and followed the stories last August. AND?!?!?
    Well, you may have read them, but did you understand them? If you had, you would know that the DOD is about to have 1 trillion dollars cut from it in one year AND an executive order has been given by the POTUS that none of the money can come from personnel expenses. Well, seeing as how 60% of the DOD budget is personnel expenses, that means we will have 1 trillion dollars cut from just 40% of the budget. Now, I'm all for defense cuts but it has to be done responsibly. That is definitely not responsible.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  5. #305
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Well, you may have read them, but did you understand them? If you had, you would know that the DOD is about to have 1 trillion dollars cut from it in one year AND an executive order has been given by the POTUS that none of the money can come from personnel expenses. Well, seeing as how 60% of the DOD budget is personnel expenses, that means we will have 1 trillion dollars cut from just 40% of the budget. Now, I'm all for defense cuts but it has to be done responsibly. That is definitely not responsible.
    And just how many personnel are you going to dump into the already overloaded job market? Or should the military just stop paying for your health care and other perks?


    But, hey, I'm sure the TeaParty had it all figured out when they made the deal - right?!? I mean, they managed to stonewall everything and drop our credit rating a notch (well, 1/3 of a notch since only one agency did it) so I'm SURE they had it all figured out.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 08-13-12 at 08:53 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  6. #306
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    It hurts and it helps ...yet it hurts his chances of winning the election. The undecideds and centrists will now vote Obama as Ryan is an GOP ideologue. Some on the fence were hoping Romney would govern center right and can now confirm Romney will pander against his own core beliefs. What a coward Romney is ... at least Ryan believes the BS he spouts.

    The ones voting for Romney that were holding their nose will be a bit happier as they vote Romney yet he already had those votes and a few more far rights might venture out to vote. Yet, the undecideds and centrists in the swing states and for that matter all the states will be more likely to vote Obama.

    The choice of Ryan is a win win for Obama.

    I will say the Romney/Ryan ticket will win the distinction of best hair!
    Last edited by Turin; 08-13-12 at 09:58 PM.

  7. #307
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    And just how many personnel are you going to dump into the already overloaded job market? Or should the military just stop paying for your health care and other perks?


    But, hey, I'm sure the TeaParty had it all figured out when they made the deal - right?!? I mean, they managed to stonewall everything and drop our credit rating a notch (well, 1/3 of a notch since only one agency did it) so I'm SURE they had it all figured out.
    Oh, you mean the same Tea Party that stopped the spending that resulted in that credit rating drop? I can't even imagine what the debt would be if the Dems had kept the House. How can you honestly think that the Tea Party is the reason our credit rating dropped? If the debt hadn't been run up at the rate at which it was, it wouldn't have even been an issue. Or do you mean the same Tea Party that is a big influence in the only part of the Congress that has actually passed a budget in the past 1000+ days?
    BTW, I wasn't blaming President Obama or pointing the finger at him for the personnel decision. I was simply pointing out that the DOD is going to have to find cuts to 40% of its budget. Also, I have posted numerous times that I believe the DOD should reconsider the retirement program for vets. No one should be able to collect a pension at 38. That would save a lot of money from cutting programs that are as important to personnel as entitlements. We can be the most well taken care of force in the world, but if we can't train due to lack of funds, it defeats the purpose.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #308
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why do you frame the issue in such dishonest terms

    the death tax is called that because it doesn't apply until the owner of wealth has died

    you know that

    so why do yo pretend to frame the issue in a nonsensical way?

    why are you so in love with this tax that you get upset when it is called a less wholesome but equally accurate term?
    It's like deja vu all over again. I feel like this exact conversation has happened before.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #309
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Ryan definitely hurts Romney for a number of reasons:

    1. Seniors - Especially in the MUST WIN state of Florida for Romney. There is no road to the whitehouse for Romney without Florida and Paul "I will gut SS and Medicare" Ryan is not going to be popular with the senior crowd. Florida was trending blue already, however, this seals the deal for Obama in Florida and essentially the Presidency.

    2. Students - One of Romney's only hopes of winning the whitehouse is that the student vote would stay home. Students turned out in huge numbers in 2008 to vote for Obama...many of them are apathetic today. However, with Paul "I will cut Pell grants and student aid" Ryan, Romney has accomplished for Obama what Obama would not have been able to do....energize the student vote to get out and vote. The one thing students care most about is higher education funding. Romney/Ryan has just provided Obama with the ignition to light a flame under these voters.

    3. Independents - Romney needs to the moderate/independent vote - Ryan hurts with the demographic. Ryan is too extremist fiscally for moderates/independents. Polling shows that moderates/independents are against the proposals in Ryans budget by large percentages. Socially, Ryan is off the deep end. Ryan will energize the teabaggers and the evangelicals, but Romney will need a huge shake of his Etch-A-Sketch to portray himself as a moderate/independent despite Ryan in order to bring in this group in any large numbers.

    4. Women - Romney has essentially written off the female vote. Polls early in the campaign showed Romney having some inroads into this demographic...a demographic that Republicans have lost for the last 2 decades. Ryan destroys any hope of Romney making any inroads here....in fact, I suspect Romney's numbers in this demographic will fall dramatically over the next month, especially after the convention and Ryans extremist views are more well known.
    I guess you got this stuff on Media Matters or maybe from being on the Moveon.org email list.

    Ryan could bring senior, female votes to GOP ticket despite Dem narrative | Fox News

    Senior Citizens Like Ryan - By Katrina Trinko - The Corner - National Review Online

    Florida Seniors Should Be Thrilled By Paul Ryan - Business Insider
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #310
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Looks like the poll got hacked.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •