View Poll Results: Will Ryan as VP help or hurt Romney win election?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will help Romney

    51 27.42%
  • It will hurt Romney

    84 45.16%
  • It will have no real effect on the outcome

    38 20.43%
  • Other, please explain

    13 6.99%
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 393

Thread: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

  1. #111
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Well, it is being reported that Romney will announce Ryan tomorrow morning. While it is entirely possible that they are screwing with the media, it seems kinda unlikely and that Ryan will be the VP pick. Do you think the pick will help Romney, hurt him, have no real effect?
    Ultimately I think it'll have little effect. I think that this race, by and large, is going to be decided based on the people at the top of the ticket not at the bottom.

    Realistically, I imagine Ryan will drive away some independents and win support of some Republicans that may not have voted or would've gone 3rd party. On one hand, it gives the Democrats another person to attack and rail against (yay, maybe we can get some more ad's tossing granny off a cliff) on the other hand I think Paul is MASSIVELY underrated by the die hard democrats/left leaning posters on this site in being able to explain and simplify Republican fiscal ideas that are going to be the heart of any chance they have to win. I think he does this far better than Romney and if used right could prove a benefit for right leaning moderates/independents that went with "hope" last election but are looking for an alternative this election.

    I don't think it's the best pick politically, and I think it definitely has the potential to be a problematic one...but if I was going to lay money on it I'd probably go with the notion that it'll have little significant effect either way on this election. Yeah, it'll play into it and I won't be surprised if it hurts a bit...but I really think this one is going to largely come down to the top two.

    I think the thing that makes this possible that it is okay for Romney.....Paul is not a huge vocal SOCIAL conservative. While the left and liberal on this forum and elsewhere like to proclaim any Republican that has conservative views regarding fiscal issues as "FAR RIGHT", I don't think the "far right" thing is going to work too well on the average person with Paul because for so many years the Democrats have tried to tie the notion of "Far right" to social issues and that's not something Paul focuses on a ton. This is going to be a fiscal and governmental election....that is, if either side ever begins to move away from just non-stop mud slinging, which will happen a bit as the actual debates begin...and I think Paul has a 50/50 chance in terms of his impact because of that depending on how well he does with his skill at explaining conservative fiscal views compared to how well the Obama campaign is able to launch attacks against those views.

  2. #112
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Well, it is being reported that Romney will announce Ryan tomorrow morning. While it is entirely possible that they are screwing with the media, it seems kinda unlikely and that Ryan will be the VP pick. Do you think the pick will help Romney, hurt him, have no real effect?
    It won't have much of an effect. I think it's a good move because it gives the Romney campaign a clear vision and focus going forward. However, it could backfire if Obama finds a way to completely destroy the logic behind the policies of that vision and focus. The good thing about Obama's Biden pick is that they both had different focuses and strengths so where Obama failed, Biden picked up. I'm not sure that Ryan has that same power.

  3. #113
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I think Christie would be a bad choice because both candidates on the ticket would be from the same general part of the country.
    I've always thought that aspect has been given more weight than it deserves. I can see a candidate helping their own home state, but regionally I'm not sure it matters.

    It's only a single anecdote. but Bush II/Cheney were both from the same state... regardless Cheney's needing to switch his official residence to comply with election laws.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,277

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It won't have much of an effect. I think it's a good move because it gives the Romney campaign a clear vision and focus going forward. However, it could backfire if Obama finds a way to completely destroy the logic behind the policies of that vision and focus. The good thing about Obama's Biden pick is that they both had different focuses and strengths so where Obama failed, Biden picked up. I'm not sure that Ryan has that same power.
    I think that is right. It sets up a fairly clear ideological battle between smaller, less intrusive government and a bloated, intrusive, leftist welfare state. The public has to decide what it wants and what it is willing to pay for.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    For once we are of a mind. Let this election be an actual choice between competing worldviews.
    This may mean the end of the world. You knwo that, right.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #116
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I think that is right. It sets up a fairly clear ideological battle between smaller, less intrusive government and a bloated, intrusive, leftist welfare state. The public has to decide what it wants and what it is willing to pay for.
    When you make statements like this....... do you try to use over the top hyper partisan hyperbole or is it just something which you have no control over?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #117
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Ultimately I think it'll have little effect. I think that this race, by and large, is going to be decided based on the people at the top of the ticket not at the bottom.

    Realistically, I imagine Ryan will drive away some independents and win support of some Republicans that may not have voted or would've gone 3rd party. On one hand, it gives the Democrats another person to attack and rail against (yay, maybe we can get some more ad's tossing granny off a cliff) on the other hand I think Paul is MASSIVELY underrated by the die hard democrats/left leaning posters on this site in being able to explain and simplify Republican fiscal ideas that are going to be the heart of any chance they have to win. I think he does this far better than Romney and if used right could prove a benefit for right leaning moderates/independents that went with "hope" last election but are looking for an alternative this election.

    I don't think it's the best pick politically, and I think it definitely has the potential to be a problematic one...but if I was going to lay money on it I'd probably go with the notion that it'll have little significant effect either way on this election. Yeah, it'll play into it and I won't be surprised if it hurts a bit...but I really think this one is going to largely come down to the top two.

    I think the thing that makes this possible that it is okay for Romney.....Paul is not a huge vocal SOCIAL conservative. While the left and liberal on this forum and elsewhere like to proclaim any Republican that has conservative views regarding fiscal issues as "FAR RIGHT", I don't think the "far right" thing is going to work too well on the average person with Paul because for so many years the Democrats have tried to tie the notion of "Far right" to social issues and that's not something Paul focuses on a ton. This is going to be a fiscal and governmental election....that is, if either side ever begins to move away from just non-stop mud slinging, which will happen a bit as the actual debates begin...and I think Paul has a 50/50 chance in terms of his impact because of that depending on how well he does with his skill at explaining conservative fiscal views compared to how well the Obama campaign is able to launch attacks against those views.
    The thing is, Paul may not be very vocal on it, but he is a huge social conservative. His voting record and comments on social issues would make it easy to paint him, accurately, as one. Paul Ryan on the Issues

    Voted YES on federal crime to harm fetus while committing other crimes. (Apr 2001)
    Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
    Rated 100% by the NRLC, indicating a pro-life stance. (Dec 2006)
    Grant the pre-born equal protection under 14th Amendment. (Jan 2007)
    Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)
    Voted YES on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)
    Voted YES on banning gay adoptions in DC. (Jul 1999)
    Supports anti-flag desecration amendment. (Mar 2001)
    Voted NO on enforcing against anti-gay hate crimes. (Apr 2009)
    Voted YES on allowing school prayer during the War on Terror. (Nov 2001)
    Rated 91% by the Christian Coalition: a pro-Family-Value voting record. (Dec 2003)
    Rated 0% by the AU, indicating opposition to church-state separation. (Dec 2006)
    Not only can democratic ads portray him as a bigtime social conservative, but that portrayal would be 100 % accurate.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #118
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    I think that is right. It sets up a fairly clear ideological battle between smaller, less intrusive government and a bloated, intrusive, leftist welfare state. The public has to decide what it wants and what it is willing to pay for.
    Since you'll just have someone from the other side doing the same hyperbolic spin as yours....

    I agree, this election once the debate start could come down to a clear ideological battle regarding fiscal and governmental stances. The difference between a focus on the individual and the focus on the community. The difference between a focus on government removing itself from the path of the private sector and the government assisting the private sector down the path. One that suggests spending less is the primary focus where the other's primary focus is collecting more. One which see's the primary focus of the federal government is defense and another that see's it as the safety net, with each seeking larger cuts on the other and more support for their own. One which suggests less regulation results in more innovation where the other suggest more regulation for greater safety. One whose idea of fairness is as keeping what is "yours" and the other where fariness is getting what you "deserve".

  9. #119
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    It will either hurt him or have no impact. I don't think VPs ever help the presidential candidate outside of their home state, but they can hurt if they are viewed as unacceptable by the electorate. Whether Ryan's impact is neutral or negative depends how forcefully the Obama team can attack the "Romney/Ryan budget plan," and how forcefully the Romney team can respond to that criticism. So far Obama has run a much better campaign than Romney, so I suspect that Paul Ryan will be at least a slight negative for Romney.

    Of all the possible running mates he could have picked, Paul Ryan was the one I was rooting for.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #120
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Paul Ryan, Help Or Hurt Romney

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The thing is, Paul may not be very vocal on it, but he is a huge social conservative. His voting record and comments on social issues would make it easy to paint him, accurately, as one. Paul Ryan on the Issues

    Not only can democratic ads portray him as a bigtime social conservative, but that portrayal would be 100 % accurate.
    The thing is, for the average voter...if he's not out blabbing about it non-stop, I think many of those type of ads will seem more like attack ad's then things that actually start making people think "OMG he's going to be some crazy social conservative".

    His votes may paint a different picture, but his actual persona and presentation is not one where he pushes social issues as equal importance and focus to the fiscal stuff. Because of that, I think trying to paint him as some right wing social crazy as is such a common tactic won't work nearly as well

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •