View Poll Results: Should business owners hold opinions/donate towards them without fear of punishment?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    35 70.00%
  • No

    15 30.00%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 134

Thread: Chick-fil-A

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Chick-fil-A

    This whole issue about Chick-fil-A has imo boiled down to whether or not business owners have the right to hold an opinion/donate in favor of their beliefs, without being punished. The ACLU has even stepped up to defend Chick-fil-A's rights. I think that so long as the ACLU, which is typically left-leaning, supports the rights of businesses with vastly differing beliefs, America's freedoms are preserved. My simple yes/no question is this:

    "Do you think a business owner should be able to hold an opinion and/or donate in favor of certain beliefs, without being punished by politicians/government?"


  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    This whole issue about Chick-fil-A has imo boiled down to whether or not business owners have the right to hold an opinion/donate in favor of their beliefs, without being punished. The ACLU has even stepped up to defend Chick-fil-A's rights. I think that so long as the ACLU, which is typically left-leaning, supports the rights of businesses with vastly differing beliefs, America's freedoms are preserved. My simple yes/no question is this:

    "Do you think a business owner should be able to hold an opinion and/or donate in favor of certain beliefs, without being punished by politicians/government?"

    If by punished, you mean bad press? No, I don't think they have that right. If by punished, you mean using government rules, regulations and red tape to restrict their right to do business, my opinion is the exact opposite.

    ChickFilA and every other corporation is foolish to make donations to questionable organizations through their company. Those records are public. They do it because, by giving their their companies, they can donate with before tax dollars.

    I'd bet dollars to donuts that there are a whole bunch of other organizations where the CEO (when he controls these donations like Cathy does) is setting whole new policy. If Cathy had donated this money personally instead of through his corporation? No one would be the wiser. His personal returns are private.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Can there be an option

    "Let's stop talking about this stupid subject".

    And by the way the Poll doesn't make sense, no one was or is being punished. OP wreaks of Christian Persecution Complex.

    Here's what I think, CEO's can say what they want, it shouldn't make a difference for their chicken sandwiches... the whole boycott, Kiss in and reverse boycott was stupid.

    But if a CEO says something that they have the right to, we also have the right in turn to criticize them.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post

    1) And by the way the Poll doesn't make sense, no one was or is being punished. OP wreaks of Christian Persecution Complex.

    2) Here's what I think, CEO's can say what they want, it shouldn't make a difference for their chicken sandwiches... the whole boycott, Kiss in and reverse boycott was stupid.

    3) But if a CEO says something that they have the right to, we also have the right in turn to criticize them.
    1) If that were true then why would the ACLU have ever gotten involved to assure us that Chick-fil-A has the right to an opinion free from bullying from politicians like Rahm?

    2) 100% agreed.

    3) 100% agreed.

  5. #5
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    1) If that were true then why would the ACLU have ever gotten involved to assure us that Chick-fil-A has the right to an opinion free from bullying from politicians like Rahm?
    Punishment is a strong word.

    So a couple of mayors said something stupid Wake... no one got "punished".

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Punishment is a strong word.

    So a couple of mayors said something stupid Wake... no one got "punished".
    Without fear of punishment.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    It depends, if they are donating money to illegal things then they should be punished.

    Other than that the government shouldn't do anything, but they should be well aware that their customer base may shrink.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It depends, if they are donating money to illegal things then they should be punished.

    Other than that the government shouldn't do anything, but they should be well aware that their customer base may shrink.
    You voted that no they shouldn't hold opinions/donate towards them without fear of punishment.

    Donating towards what organizations Dan Cathy has done isn't illegal, iirc.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,359

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    You voted that no they shouldn't hold opinions/donate towards them without fear of punishment.

    Donating towards what organizations Dan Cathy has done isn't illegal, iirc.
    I voted before I read your question, and thought you meant punishment from people, and not government. Because that is the only "punishment" they have received.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #10
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    This whole issue about Chick-fil-A has imo boiled down to whether or not business owners have the right to hold an opinion/donate in favor of their beliefs, without being punished. The ACLU has even stepped up to defend Chick-fil-A's rights. I think that so long as the ACLU, which is typically left-leaning, supports the rights of businesses with vastly differing beliefs, America's freedoms are preserved. My simple yes/no question is this:

    "Do you think a business owner should be able to hold an opinion and/or donate in favor of certain beliefs, without being punished by politicians/government?"

    No, they should fear no retribution by government or its officials. But people perpetuating this Chik-Fil-A nonsense should. Not really, but this is getting really old.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •