View Poll Results: Should business owners hold opinions/donate towards them without fear of punishment?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    35 70.00%
  • No

    15 30.00%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 134

Thread: Chick-fil-A

  1. #21
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Thank you for the clarification. I voted "no," and here is why:

    If a CEO wants to make a comment that he knows full and well will be divisive and controversial, it is his right to do so.

    And it is NOT his right to believe that he is somehow immune from the consequences.
    What consequences are you talking about?

    The OP is referencing the "punishment" of using governmental powers to limit their business because the owner has a particular political belief and those trusted to donate money on behalf of the company to "charity" organizations donate to organizations that focus on a particular political/religious issue.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Another case would be if a business donates towards a terrorist or criminal organization.
    Well that one may just be straight up illegal. And yes in that case, the government will not only threaten force, but exercise force. Depending on what they are calling "terrorist" or "criminal" organizations, it could be just.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #23
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    You need to get your tongue checked. Its yummy.
    I've had it, off and on, since I was a kid.
    Never once, have I thought, "lets go to Chick-Fil-A."
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #24
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I know this totally, doesn't answer the poll, but I never really saw the appeal of the food Chick-Fil-A serves.
    It's always been kinda bland to me.
    I'm in the same boat on this one. I think it's...ok fast food; but that's as good as it gets.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #25
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,726

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    What consequences are you talking about?

    The OP is referencing the "punishment" of using governmental powers to limit their business because the owner has a particular political belief and those trusted to donate money on behalf of the company to "charity" organizations donate to organizations that focus on a particular political/religious issue.
    The OP is kind of vague in that regard. But if that's true, then this discussion isn't even relevant, as has already been explained.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  6. #26
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I don't. I very clearly stated that the government has a good reason to do this when dealing with protected classes, from a constitutional standpoint.

    Another case would be if a business donates towards a terrorist or criminal organization.
    Terrorism and crime are completely different from political ideologies.

    Business leaders should not have to worry about being limited by government actions because charitable donations to organizations oppose the political ideologies of whatever current the governmental administration happens to agree with.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #27
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Terrorism and crime are completely different from political ideologies.

    Business leaders should not have to worry about being limited by government actions because charitable donations to organizations oppose the political ideologies of whatever current the governmental administration happens to agree with.
    I don't disagree. However the OP was very loose with the wording in his question. In as such, I felt the need to point out cases, that fall within the scope of the question where the answer would be such that such a thing should be permissible.

    Not my problem if you are paranoid and think I am trying to hide something or deflect.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I don't disagree. However the OP was very loose with the wording in his question. In as such, I felt the need to point out cases, that fall within the scope of the question where the answer would be such that such a thing should be permissible.

    Not my problem if you are paranoid and think I am trying to hide something or deflect.
    Your trying to argue some level of semantics and deflect from the topic.

    The TITLE of the thread specifically mentions Chick Fil-A. Which means we aren't talking about scenarios of terrorism or criminal activity, we are talking about a business leader having a political opinion, and the business donating to a political/religious interest group.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #29
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,403

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    This whole issue about Chick-fil-A has imo boiled down to whether or not business owners have the right to hold an opinion/donate in favor of their beliefs, without being punished. The ACLU has even stepped up to defend Chick-fil-A's rights. I think that so long as the ACLU, which is typically left-leaning, supports the rights of businesses with vastly differing beliefs, America's freedoms are preserved. My simple yes/no question is this:

    "Do you think a business owner should be able to hold an opinion and/or donate in favor of certain beliefs, without being punished by politicians/government?"

    I voted 'yes', as the question is directed toward government specifically, but I break my opinion into two categories.

    1) There should be no fear of retribution/punishment from the government. Period.

    2) Retribution/punishment from individuals in the form of a boycott, or whatever, is fair game.

    Having said that, even though I will defend a person's right to hold unpopular (but legal) opinions, I do shake my head when they express them as there is a line where it ceases to be good business sense.
    Last edited by radcen; 08-09-12 at 07:28 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Chick-fil-A

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I know this totally, doesn't answer the poll, but I never really saw the appeal of the food Chick-Fil-A serves.
    It's always been kinda bland to me.
    I knew you were a demon.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •