View Poll Results: Do you oppose Civil Unions?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 21.62%
  • No

    29 78.38%
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 121

Thread: Civil Unions

  1. #71
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    try harder. show me where i said anything about segregation.
    What's with your bad attitude? You need to bring some serious goods if you're going to take that kind of posture, and frankly kid you just ain't delivering.

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    If those are your personal views that's fine. However, can't a distinction be made between personal views and what is law?
    You do not vote or support certain laws and not support others based upon your personal views? Your persnal views on political matters is your political lean.

  3. #73
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    You do not vote or support certain laws and not support others based upon your personal views? Your persnal views on political matters is your political lean.
    I vote based on what's best and what's fair.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,774

    Re: Civil Unions

    DVSentinel wrote something about the article I had linked to on same sex behaviour and used the phrase "genetic defect"

    "genetic defect" or a genetic difference? I have to ask if you read the full article.

    By emphasising the genetic aspect you would seem to be arguing that same-sex preferences are genetically determined unlike many of those who oppose LGBT issues because they seem them as a "lifestyle choice"


    Your last sentence could be altered, in so far as humans are concerned, by reference to various well-studied societies thru out history. Classical Greek society often saw male-male pairs as true expressions of love while male-female relationships were based on power, property and progeny.
    Last edited by Somerville; 08-07-12 at 12:30 PM.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #75
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    What's with your bad attitude? You need to bring some serious goods if you're going to take that kind of posture, and frankly kid you just ain't delivering.
    You keep trying to argue with me about a point i am not making. What posture? You still have yet to make your point that I am somehow advocating some type of segregation. Go read my posts, ask someone for help if you are not able to comprehend what i wrote, then reply. DO NOT reply until you do the first two parts.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  6. #76
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I don't think I understand how you get government out of marriage if you also want the couple to have full benefits, which includes survivorship, medical consent, joint ownership, insurance, and tax returns. Government is going to be involved as much of the benefit in marriage involves governmental interaction.

    I married my wife 26 years ago infront of a federal judge, no church involved.

    I am a married man, not a civil union one. I figure same sex folks consider themselves married not unioned, hell 'conservatives' can't stand the word union and southern folks still turn their heads and spit to get the taste out of their mouth when they say 'union'...

    Marriage is what it is and we should call it by it's name...
    With all due respect, your marriage will continue to be a "marriage" even if the government, in order to apply benefits, call it a civil union. Absolutely nothing changes for you, even the title. I'd be willing to bet you got a license first before that federal judge "married" you two. When you two signed that license and the county accepted it, you were legally married, what happened with the judge was ritual, unnecessary in the governments eyes where it comes to conferring benefits.

    So, what is being discussed here is the possibility of separating the ritual, which many hold dear, from the licensing. Nothing needs to change with the licensing, the benefits, or even those who choose the ritual and the title.

    However, my question is this -what assurances do we have that the polygamists won't be the next to assert their need to be legitimately licensed by the state?

  7. #77
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,940

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    "Civil union" sounds like official friendship. If people didn't know it's a marriage substitute in advance, they'd think the same thing.

    Marriage is a romantic, artistic relationship that's meant to guarantee duty of care towards children. It only applies to people who can internally have children. You can go back to the paleolithic era to study the history of marriage to understand this.

    If people want to say that marriage "evolves" over time, then language is unreliable. You might as well believe in total anarchy.
    Well, since marriage has evolved over time and we're not in total anarchy, what do you say then?

  8. #78
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    With all due respect, your marriage will continue to be a "marriage" even if the government, in order to apply benefits, call it a civil union. Absolutely nothing changes for you, even the title. I'd be willing to bet you got a license first before that federal judge "married" you two. When you two signed that license and the county accepted it, you were legally married, what happened with the judge was ritual, unnecessary in the governments eyes where it comes to conferring benefits.

    So, what is being discussed here is the possibility of separating the ritual, which many hold dear, from the licensing. Nothing needs to change with the licensing, the benefits, or even those who choose the ritual and the title.

    However, my question is this -what assurances do we have that the polygamists won't be the next to assert their need to be legitimately licensed by the state?
    Why do we need such assurances? Polygamy causes no more harm than homosexual relationships do to society at large. The ownership aspect may get a little more complex, but otherwise I see no reason to express concern over legalizing polygamy. There's really no logical reason I'm aware of keep it illegal.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #79
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,940

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Would you opposed to marriage between any 2 consenting adults being called a Civil Union at a government level for the benefits of marriage?
    Smokescreen. I reject the unspoken assumption here that religion owns the concept of marriage. It doesn't belong to marriage, much less one specific religion.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Civil Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Smokescreen. I reject the unspoken assumption here that religion owns the concept of marriage. It doesn't belong to marriage, much less one specific religion.
    *sigh*

    000000
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •