View Poll Results: Should silent politicians be sued for perjury?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, politicians are civil servants who answer to people.

    0 0%
  • Yes, transparent government is needed for civility.

    0 0%
  • No, politicians are better than the rest of us.

    0 0%
  • No, there are some stones better left unturned.

    2 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

    Since the government is an artificial institution that affirms itself upon the citizenry, it should have to justify 100% of it actions and programs.

    Otherwise, it's being anti-social. Therefore, is a lack of explanation an obstruction of justice?

  2. #2
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

    what?

    1234
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Since the government is an artificial institution that affirms itself upon the citizenry, it should have to justify 100% of it actions and programs.

    Otherwise, it's being anti-social. Therefore, is a lack of explanation an obstruction of justice?
    What is "an artificial institution"? What does that mean?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What is "an artificial institution"? What does that mean?
    It means government doesn't grow like a tree out of the ground or flow like water in a stream.

    It exists because people make it. Therefore, people should have to justify it.

  5. #5
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Since the government is an artificial institution that affirms itself upon the citizenry, it should have to justify 100% of it actions and programs.

    Otherwise, it's being anti-social. Therefore, is a lack of explanation an obstruction of justice?
    In a two-party system no matter how much you explain there is robust opposition. So silence is golden.

  6. #6
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    It means government doesn't grow like a tree out of the ground or flow like water in a stream.

    It exists because people make it. Therefore, people should have to justify it.
    ALL of society is like this. From language, to any form of economy, to family life, to the majority of any ideas or "truths", to any social construct.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    ALL of society is like this. From language, to any form of economy, to family life, to the majority of any ideas or "truths", to any social construct.
    Yes, but all of society is not mandatory. The government is.

  8. #8
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
    Yes, but all of society is not mandatory. The government is.
    You don't think language, social institutions, family, social rules or laws (government), and exchange are mandatory?

    I disagree, all of these things will come about when you have more than a very small number of people living together.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-18-12 @ 08:07 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    3,245

    Re: Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    You don't think language, social institutions, family, social rules or laws (government), and exchange are mandatory?
    No, I think those are dynamic organizations. They organize according to the intentions of the people involved. For example, language is not a fixed creation. The definition of words is a process that evolves over time from how words are used.

    I disagree, all of these things will come about when you have more than a very small number of people living together.
    To be fair, language converges faster with more people because of practical imperative, but that worsens the problem because it outcasts abnormals who are naturally impractical. That is different people have different feelings, so people who feel that words should be used differently are expected to conform.

    For example, Hispanics who immigrate into America struggle to socialize before learning English.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Should Silent Politicians Be Sued for Perjury?

    The government is also a dynamic organization that is not fixed but changes over time. It changes to the will of those that have the power to change it
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •