Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 115

Thread: Do Democrats hate wealth?

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Do Democrats hate wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Ohhh now i see the light!
    George Soros is in the control seat right!?
    Who is George Soros?

  2. #92
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: Do Democrats hate wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    "Liberal" actual comes from a Latin word meaning "free."
    If you were free in Rome, you usually owned slaves. It also implies freedom from having to do the work that only slaves do.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  3. #93
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Do Democrats hate wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Ohhh now i see the light!
    George Soros is in the control seat right!?
    Exactly! And now that you see the light, will you still support the Soros Puppets?
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  4. #94
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Do Democrats hate wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    If you were free in Rome, you usually owned slaves. It also implies freedom from having to do the work that only slaves do.
    Neither of those things is true. First, most free Romans didn't own slaves, slaves were too expensive. Second, slaves and free poor people often had to do a lot of the same jobs. Some of the worst jobs, like dangerous mining, were reserved for slaves. But practically any trade or service job was performed by both poor and slave alike. This includes gladiators, many of whom were slave but many of whom were free and even wealthy.

    There is no way of construing the Latin word "Liber" to mean "slaveholder." That is simply not what it meant or implied.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-07-12 at 11:37 PM.

  5. #95
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: Do Democrats hate wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Neither of those things is true. First, most free Romans didn't own slaves, slaves were too expensive. Second, slaves and free poor people often had to do a lot of the same jobs. Some of the worst jobs, like dangerous mining, were reserved for slaves. But practically any trade or service job was performed by both poor and slave alike. This includes gladiators, many of whom were slave but many of whom were free and even wealthy.

    There is no way of construing the Latin word "Liber" to mean "slaveholder." That is simply not what it meant or implied.
    The only ones who counted were the slaveowners. They controlled what liberal implies, and there modern equivalents--spoiled, sheltered, suburb-born snobs--still control the liberal agenda. Also note the similar class-bias that the nobility are noble, gentlemen are gentle, people that live in villages instead of castles are vile. In Greek, aristocracy literally means "rule by the best."
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Do Democrats hate wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    The only ones who counted were the slaveowners. They controlled what liberal implies, and there modern equivalents--spoiled, sheltered, suburb-born snobs--still control the liberal agenda. Also note the similar class-bias that the nobility are noble, gentlemen are gentle, people that live in villages instead of castles are vile. In Greek, aristocracy literally means "rule by the best."
    Let's cut through the BS. You started out with a false claim that liber means "slave holder." it really means "free.". In ancient Rome a typical liber (free man) was too poor to own slaves. All liberi "counted" as liberi, and slave ownership was unrelated to liber status. Just admit you got caught BSing, don't dig yourself deeper.

  7. #97
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: Do Democrats hate wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Let's cut through the BS. You started out with a false claim that liber means "slave holder." it really means "free.". In ancient Rome a typical liber (free man) was too poor to own slaves. All liberi "counted" as liberi, and slave ownership was unrelated to liber status. Just admit you got caught BSing, don't dig yourself deeper.
    Covering up for the elitists won't make them adopt you. The plebeian liberi didn't count at all except as a Head Count; they had no influence on the political philosophy you claim was named after them.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Do Democrats hate wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    Covering up for the elitists won't make them adopt you. The plebeian liberi didn't count at all except as a Head Count; they had no influence on the political philosophy you claim was named after them.
    The political philosophy wasnt named after any group of Romans. Romans used the word Liber almost exactly like we use the word free today. Liberal is an English word that also means free, derived from the Latin. As an English word used to describe a political philosophy it was originally associated with what we call conservatives today. "Classical" liberalism was the political philosophy of, for exmple, Adam Smith, and was called liberalism because of its emphasis on personal freedoms and the free market.

    It is patently false to claim that Liber means slave holder or that it carries connotations associated wih slave holding. It's ahistorical, and to anybody who knows Latin it just sounds silly. You're just making a smokescreen to cover up the fact that you got caught in a BS statment.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-09-12 at 04:33 PM.

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,369

    Re: Do Democrats hate wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    of course not. Nancy Pelosi has used her position to make herself fabulously wealthy. Ditto Harry Reid, Joe Biden, and all the rest. They don't hate the wealthy - they are the wealthy (though of course, they may not have accepted that).

    But they think that people envy the wealthy and they are willing to manipulate that in order to achieve political success. Talking down about the visibly successful makes lots of people feel better about themselves (witness our celebrity coverage), and people feel more morally justified in taking from those whom they disparage.
    The difference is that all the names you mentioned are OK with paying a higher tax rate to help the deficit. Greedy skinflints are the ones that arouse hatred from many people.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,369

    Re: Do Democrats hate wealth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Exactly! And now that you see the light, will you still support the Soros Puppets?
    Soros does not use his fortune to undermine the US govt. like the Koch Bros. Yet you are one of their puppets. Voting against your own interests is nothing to be proud of.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •