View Poll Results: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racist?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    49 85.96%
  • No

    8 14.04%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84

Thread: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racist

  1. #11
    Advisor Truckstop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    549

    Re: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racis

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No they are not equivalent. John does not have the right to marry Bill, but Sue does. That is discrimination. This is simply not the case with laws against polygamy...the person still can marry whomever they want, they just have to get a divorce first. Furthermore, getting married is something that you DID of your own volition, which can be undone relatively easily. Being born a certain race or certain gender is something you ARE, not something you DID.

    But nice try making this about polygamy. Didn't *you* just attack *me* for "making a straw man"? Why don't you explain the distinction between interracial marriage and same-sex marriage, if one exists?
    I am for ssm just fyi. I do think there is a difference here in the sense that a man of any color is essentially the same as a man of any other color. A man and a women are different in many ways. You can't make rules regarding 2 of the same thing where one is treated differently due to nothing but skin pigmentation. You can make different rules for different sexes. We do it all the time.

    As for ssm, I am all for it. I love being married, most of the time. I say good luck to you and whoever you want to try to make a life with.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racis

    Quote Originally Posted by Truckstop View Post
    I am for ssm just fyi. I do think there is a difference here in the sense that a man of any color is essentially the same as a man of any other color. A man and a women are different in many ways. You can't make rules regarding 2 of the same thing where one is treated differently due to nothing but skin pigmentation. You can make different rules for different sexes. We do it all the time.

    As for ssm, I am all for it. I love being married, most of the time. I say good luck to you and whoever you want to try to make a life with.
    I think so far the courts have disagreed. Like I said earlier, I think the two are very similar. You're chosing a group to discriminate against for no valid or just cause. Lawyers tell me this is important no matter what the restriction is. There has to be a valid rationale.

    But, who you are sexually is as important to a human being as the color of their skin, their religious belief, and their overall gender. To deny them basic human rights, is to discriminate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racis

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Whatever could you possibly be talking about?
    If it's not motivated by bigotry, then why should it matter which group is being discriminated against?
    From my point of view it is very simple. Marriage, Marriage Law and benefits derived from being Married revolve and were created around the position that Marriage between a man and a woman would lead to procreation. Not only should SSM not be allowed because it is clearly a push to extend those benefits and tax cuts where no procreation can exist, I would support no tax deductions or extended benefits packages for non-reproductive marriages between male and female. However, at least sexual relations between a man and a woman are indeed a natural act, I guess some would not agree to my full belief. Since homosexuality does not lead to children, there is absolutely no reason why they should be given tax deductions or not go out and earn their own benefits and homosexual acts are not, as some want to claim, natural acts.

    Homosexuality is an aberration of normal species instincts to reproduce, possibly because sexual urges and gratification are also closely linked in the pleasure center of the brain. Yes, it exists in other species, notably in other mammals during times of overpopulation or as a means of expressing dominance.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racis

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Nice attempt at a straw man to link interracial marriage with SSM.
    It's not a straw man, it's a comparable analogy.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racis

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    From my point of view it is very simple. Marriage, Marriage Law and benefits derived from being Married revolve and were created around the position that Marriage between a man and a woman would lead to procreation. Not only should SSM not be allowed because it is clearly a push to extend those benefits and tax cuts where no procreation can exist, I would support no tax deductions or extended benefits packages for non-reproductive marriages between male and female. However, at least sexual relations between a man and a woman are indeed a natural act, I guess some would not agree to my full belief. Since homosexuality does not lead to children, there is absolutely no reason why they should be given tax deductions or not go out and earn their own benefits and homosexual acts are not, as some want to claim, natural acts.

    Homosexuality is an aberration of normal species instincts to reproduce, possibly because sexual urges and gratification are also closely linked in the pleasure center of the brain. Yes, it exists in other species, notably in other mammals during times of overpopulation or as a means of expressing dominance.
    Homosexuality is natural, and we have children, so all your points are not based in reality, nor fact.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #16
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racis

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Homosexuality is natural, and we have children, so all your points are not based in reality, nor fact.
    Agreed, but so is aggression, and in a small percentage of the population, it's very difficult for them to control their behavior. Those people have children too. Not conflating the two as much as pointing out the hard wired argument isn't all that good.

    I'm for giving tax deductions to anyone taking care of children, and that should have nothing to do with marriage. No children, no deduction.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racis

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Nope, everyone is allowed the same rights (or lack thereof) to polygamy. And if a married person finds someone they want to marry, that avenue is still open to them (provided they first get a divorce); bans on interracial marriage or same-sex marriage close that door entirely, because people are denied that right on account of who they ARE rather than what they previously DID. Furthermore, polygamous relationships have negative consequences to society that are wholly absent in interracial marriages and/or same-sex marriages.
    Come on, that is entirely hypocritical, it's the exact same argument that the anti-gay-marriage people make, everyone has the same rights for marriage, they can all get married to someone of the opposite sex.

    That said, there's nothing wrong with polygamy, it just poses some serious legal questions that we ought to get resolved before we allow it. Once we know how we're going to handle marriages with multiple partners, fine, let anyone who wants to get married, get married, in whatever numbers they want. The only reason this isn't a big political issue is because there just aren't that many people who care enough about it to fight for it. Gays make up a sizable percentage of the population. Polygamists don't.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #18
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racis

    I think this post is a little disingenuous. The post you're spinning this off of didn't really have anything to do with the law specifically. There was nothing in it about bans. It was about personal preference. That is very different from what you've done here.

    If you want to attack the mindset that gay relationships are less valid (which is a completely legitimate thing to attack), you aren't going to get far by misconstruing your opponents so radically.

    Your point would have been much more eloquent and effective if you had stuck true to the original post you're referencing and said, "If a man says he favors same-race marriage, does that make him a bigot?" That is obviously a silly thing to believe and speaks volumes about our cultural mindset. And that's what Navy Prides post was really about: cultural mindsets. Not necessarily the law. Your point would have been well-taken.

    But you've taken it off the deep end and implied arguments that were never made.

    If you have a valid point, you shouldn't need to dramatize it so extremely.

    On top of that, you have just argued against polyamorous marriage in an extremely hypocritical way that's exactly the same garbage people use to deny SSM, and you don't even realize you've done it.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 08-03-12 at 06:55 PM.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racis

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Homosexuality is natural, and we have children, so all your points are not based in reality, nor fact.
    You have had children from a homosexual relationship? Wow, really. I willing to bet the pregnancy was either done in vitro or there was a man involved.

    And if male homosexuality is so "natural", explain why there is not natural method of lubrication for anal penetration and why it always causes some injury (micro and sometime macro tearing, maybe some really, really experienced male homosexuals have enough callasus to alleiviate it, but it does normally occur)?

  10. #20
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: If a man wants to ban interracial marriage, does that make him a bigot or a racis

    One of the justifications against SSM that I positively abhorr is the "marriage is for procreation" argument. It is so wrong-headed and disingenuous as to be laughable. If that was the case, then men and women who were sterile could never be legally married. Men and women who discovered their sterility after marriage would be forced to have their marriage legally annuled, and would not be allowed to remarry. Men and women who were past child-bearing age could not be legally married. The stupidity goes on and on and on.

    If you're against SSM, just man-or-woman up and say it outright: You do not believe that homosexuals deserve the same rights as heterosexuals do. Period.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •