View Poll Results: Which right holds sway?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2nd Amendment

    17 21.52%
  • Property Rights

    62 78.48%
Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 538

Thread: Which right holds sway?

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which right holds sway?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Barring legal requirements, why does a business "have" to make accommodations for employees and customers. Why can't businesses choose to make accomodations?
    Just like a visitor to your home has to comply with your house rules, so do you have to comply with public policy when you're in public domain.

    The public has the right to engage in commerce, so if you choose to play then you have to follow the rules just like everyone else.
    Last edited by Jerry; 08-02-12 at 11:26 PM.

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Which right holds sway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Just like a visitor to your home has to comply with your house rules, so do you have to comply with public policy when you're in public domain.

    The public has the right to engage in commerce, so if you choose to play then you have to follow the rules just like everyone else.
    I agree and when governments make laws that force businesses to allow weapons on their property, then businesses must comply. However, when laws don't, then businesses don't and when laws do, the debate about whether they should still remains.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which right holds sway?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I agree and when governments make laws that force businesses to allow weapons on their property, then businesses must comply. However, when laws don't, then businesses don't and when laws do, the debate about whether they should still remains.
    Then why did you ask the question?

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which right holds sway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If I understand him right, the difference is there are laws specifically stating "This applies to business" that regulates and denies them to discriminate against those things.

    There's no such laws with regards to the 2nd amendment.

    The fact that it takes additional laws beyond the constitution to apply such things to businesses demonstrates that it takes more than just the constitution to enforce that upon private entities.
    Your counter argument is that there shouldn't be any such laws because there aren't already such laws?

  5. #95
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,046

    Re: Which right holds sway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Your counter argument is that there shouldn't be any such laws because there aren't already such laws?
    Less is better when it comes to laws.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which right holds sway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If I read your later posts correct...your basic argument is they've passed laws restricting private business from discriminating against things like religion and race but not laws restricting them from being able to ban guns? If so, that does make sense and seem's a good counter argument.
    How is that *not* the Legalistic Fallacy, that it's right because it's legal?

    As for parking lots, what about folks who don't drive their own car to work? Tons of people, especially in larger cities, take some form public transit. A few of us health nuts ride a peddle bike to the shop and already use a company vehicle to go to the work site. If you ban us from carrying at work you are banning us from carrying while going to and from work and any stop in between, too.

  7. #97
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,046

    Re: Which right holds sway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    How is that *not* the Legalistic Fallacy, that it's right because it's legal?

    As for parking lots, what about folks who don't drive their own car to work? Tons of people, especially in larger cities, take some form public transit. A few of us health nuts ride a peddle bike to the shop and already use a company vehicle to go to the work site. If you ban us from carrying at work you are banning us from carrying while going to and from work and any stop in between, too.
    Then drive so you have a place to store your weapons.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Which right holds sway?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Less is better when it comes to laws.
    That's kind of insulting. You can't possibly believe that's a decent argument to allow discrimination against a constitutionally protected right. I would appreciate it if you would put a little more effort into your argument.

  9. #99
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Which right holds sway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Your counter argument is that there shouldn't be any such laws because there aren't already such laws?
    Huh?

    I was saying the argument would be that it would require passing a law barring private businesses from disallowing guns on their property for it to be illegal for them to disallow you to bring guns on their property

  10. #100
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Which right holds sway?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's kind of insulting. You can't possibly believe that's a decent argument to allow discrimination against a constitutionally protected right. I would appreciate it if you would put a little more effort into your argument.
    But the point I think he's making is you're not constitutionally protected from having your rights discriminated against by INDIVIDUALS, just by the government.

    The reason that race, religion, etc can't be discriminated against by private individuals isn't because of the constitution, that applies to government, but due to other laws that have been passed regarding it.

Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •