View Poll Results: Do you think water boarding is torture?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    114 77.55%
  • No

    33 22.45%
Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 564

Thread: Do you think water boarding is torture?[W:453]

  1. #501
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    Still mistakenly riding the "it's not the same" train? I didn't say it was the same. I said if we did to a detainee many of the things we do to trainees on a daily basis, many on the left would call it torture.

    But hey, if your only concern is trying to "win" a debate by repeating that they are not "the same"....knock yourself out.
    What we've done has not been the same, and this is the point. Trainees only get a taste. In a safe environment, with protections that the trainee has reason to trust.

    But don't compare the two, and I wouldn't keep correcting you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #502
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    What we've done has not been the same, and this is the point. Trainees only get a taste. In a safe environment, with protections that the trainee has reason to trust.

    But don't compare the two, and I wouldn't keep correcting you.
    Take an "arab looking" trainee, put him in a robe and sandals, video him going through the OC course then put it on youtube and see how many people think that it is a video of soldiers "torturing" a detainee.

    That's the bit you keep ignoring.

    Forget our previous discussion on waterboarding.

    If we did to detainees some of the things we do to trainees, it would be considered torture
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #503
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    Take an "arab looking" trainee, put him in a robe and sandals, video him going through the OC course then put it on youtube and see how many people think that it is a video of soldiers "torturing" a detainee.

    That's the bit you keep ignoring.

    Forget our previous discussion on waterboarding.

    If we did to detainees some of the things we do to trainees, it would be considered torture
    Hardly, as long as we knew whoever it was was going through training, we know there was a difference. A video only gives us a start. Once we know who they are and what is happening, we know the difference.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #504
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Hardly, as long as we knew whoever it was was going through training, we know there was a difference. A video only gives us a start. Once we know who they are and what is happening, we know the difference.
    A difference that makes no difference is no difference.

    If we ran a detainee through the OC training course, it would be considered "torture"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #505
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    The answer, from my perspective, is obvious.

    Waterboarding is torture because it make the person feel like they're being drowned.

    A better question is whether or not it is acceptable to use in gathering resources.

  6. #506
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-17-12 @ 11:56 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    No, many men shed blood for our country...what's a little water now and then to those who are willing to step on those rights or even black them out for their own selfish wants.

  7. #507
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    A difference that makes no difference is no difference.

    If we ran a detainee through the OC training course, it would be considered "torture"
    No it wouldn't. You're allowing your bias toward waht you consider left to sway you. No training would be considered torture, as the purpose, the actual mechanics and mental expectations on all sides are different.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #508
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No it wouldn't. You're allowing your bias toward waht you consider left to sway you. No training would be considered torture, as the purpose, the actual mechanics and mental expectations on all sides are different.
    so you would have no problem with taking a detainee out and spraying OC in their eyes and then making them run through an obstacle course while fighting off guys trying to knock them to the ground?
    Last edited by OscarB63; 08-13-12 at 07:07 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #509
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so you would have no problem with taking a detainee out and spraying OC in their eyes and then making them run through an obstacle course while fighting off guys trying to knock them to the ground?
    Agian, if they were under the exact same conditions as training, it wouldn't be a problem. But that includes them being set up, explained to, and knowing they are merely getting the same taste we all got in training.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #510
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Agian, if they were under the exact same conditions as training, it wouldn't be a problem. But that includes them being set up, explained to, and knowing they are merely getting the same taste we all got in training.
    yeah right. your denial is laughable.

    the end
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •