View Poll Results: Do you think water boarding is torture?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    114 77.55%
  • No

    33 22.45%
Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 564

Thread: Do you think water boarding is torture?[W:453]

  1. #241
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not just rare. Not likely at all, ever.
    Oh, so you can see into the future, can you?
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  2. #242
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    Oh, so you can see into the future, can you?
    It's called foresight and reasoning. The elements that ahve to come together are too great. Not only are there those I mentioned, but once you capture that person, others respond differently. And the person you have no longer knows all. And there is likely a time element, so he lies. You run on misinformation, and accomplish what? it's just a fanasty that these senarios could really exist.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #243
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's called foresight and reasoning. The elements that ahve to come together are too great. Not only are there those I mentioned, but once you capture that person, others respond differently. And the person you have no longer knows all. And there is likely a time element, so he lies. You run on misinformation, and accomplish what? it's just a fanasty that these senarios could really exist.
    There is never a 0% chance of anything. Literally nothing.

    And in any event the chances are far more possible than you are making it sound. It is not that far-fetched to imagine a situation where a terrorist is caught after having planted a WMD somewhere, and officials have limited time to discover where.
    Last edited by Cameron; 08-03-12 at 03:32 PM.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  4. #244
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,044

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Justifying torture just because other people torture is just plain stupid. Or at least one would have to be stupid to believe that that is a good enough excuse for torturing people. And seriously how many times are you going to tout the mantra that if many lives depend on the information excuse? How many times does just one person know the answer that we seek? What are all of those experts being paid for if all we do is ask the enemy for the info? Hell its just more Hollywood reasoning by low intelligence parrots based solely on emotions rather than a rational professional mindset.

    Personally I think that the people that support torture in "extreme" situations are arm chair experts that watched one too many Hollywood fake war movies.


    Here are some real soldiers talking about torture. Veterans of WW2 imo have a much better understanding than many of the kids (today going to bat for torture) on what honor and serving your country actually means. Torture supporters should be ashamed of themselves. Did you not learn anything from your elders?
    Last edited by FreedomFromAll; 08-03-12 at 03:55 PM.

  5. #245
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    The answer seems an obvious yes.
    The purpose is to cause an instinctive desperate fear of drowning death.

  6. #246
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    Sure some countries don't care what people think, but you can bet countries with their own versions of CIA, Mossad, MI6 etc are doing this.
    Some criminals here don't care what people think, by your reasoning, we should do away with our laws here in the US since some criminals don't obey them.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #247
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    There is never a 0% chance of anything. Literally nothing.

    And in any event the chances are far more possible than you are making it sound. It is not that far-fetched to imagine a situation where a terrorist is caught after having planted a WMD somewhere, and officials have limited time to discover where.
    That's why I didn't say zero. But it's as close as you can get. It's unrealistic to think that it would happen.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #248
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Yes. There's no point in denying it. Waterboarding is torture. Hawks deny it because accepting that it is torture means we admit to torturing POWs (captured terrorists are POWs, and detainees are presumed innocent under the law). They can't admit that we torture because our feeling on torture is a primal one where we know that causing pain for political gain is evil. Waterboarding should be illegal. POWs can't even be treated that way, can they? That's why the Bush administration instead called them "unlawful enemy combatants". Guess what? Combatants who break the law are still soldiers part of a political body, and treating them like filth is vile and disgusting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  9. #249
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Justifying torture just because other people torture is just plain stupid. Or at least one would have to be stupid to believe that that is a good enough excuse for torturing people. And seriously how many times are you going to tout the mantra that if many lives depend on the information excuse? How many times does just one person know the answer that we seek? What are all of those experts being paid for if all we do is ask the enemy for the info? Hell its just more Hollywood reasoning by low intelligence parrots based solely on emotions rather than a rational professional mindset.

    Personally I think that the people that support torture in "extreme" situations are arm chair experts that watched one too many Hollywood fake war movies.
    torture in such an incident saved my life, and the lives of many of my friends. was it "right"? I don't know - we didn't do it, we just took advantage of the intel it produced. But I will say that I am glad my wife is no widow, and that my children have a father.

  10. #250
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    And now we're back to this question, what does it's effectiveness have to do with anything? If you oppose waterboarding on moral grounds, presumably it could be the most effective thing in the world and you'd all still oppose it? Right?
    Hmmmm...If the information gleaned from waterboarding was reliable, I would then support it in certain well-delineated circumstances. No doubt about it.

    Do you believe in torturing animals? No.

    For medical research? Very VERY reluctantly, yes.

    (Oh, and medical research would not be one of those well-delineated circumstances.)
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •