View Poll Results: Do you think water boarding is torture?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    114 77.55%
  • No

    33 22.45%
Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 564

Thread: Do you think water boarding is torture?[W:453]

  1. #231
    Educator Paratrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Al
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    888

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Well....its easy to follow the rules of war when your not at war.....

  2. #232
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    Well....its easy to follow the rules of war when your not at war.....
    Many followed them with us when they were at war.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #233
    Educator Paratrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Al
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    888

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Many followed them with us when they were at war.
    Really? How do you know this? The problem is this is not something people advertise. Sure some countries don't care what people think, but you can bet countries with their own versions of CIA, Mossad, MI6 etc are doing this.
    Last edited by Paratrooper; 08-03-12 at 01:50 PM.

  4. #234
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Are you proposing to have US and International law changes that would approve torture in certain circumstances as a legal means of intelligence gathering?

    And what would be those certain circumstances that you would want torture used by other governments around the world?
    Do you honestly believe that our enemies pay any attention to the Geneva Convention and follow it? My God man they cut off our soldiers heads....Now that is torture.........
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #235
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:45 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,841
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You would be for other countries legally being allowed to torture our soldiers or citizens under certain circumstances?
    To add to my first post, I also think torture is only appropriate when the lives in danger are noncombatants, i.e. civilians.

    Of course I would not favor other countries torturing our soldiers/citizens under any circumstances. But let's face it any country on that list would torture anyone if a hundred thousand lives depended on getting information, and some countries would torture our citizens just for fun regardless of what treaties we are apart of.
    Last edited by Cameron; 08-03-12 at 03:04 PM.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  6. #236
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    To add to my first post, I also think torture is only appropriate when the lives in danger are noncombatants, i.e. civilians.

    Of course I would not favor other countries torturing our soldiers/citizens under any circumstances. But let's face it any country on that list would torture anyone if a hundred thousand lives depended on getting information, and some countries would torture our citizens just for fun regardless of what treaties we are apart of.
    It's kind of a senario that never really happens oout side of hollywood. The have exactly the right person with the right information at the right time?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #237
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:45 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,841
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's kind of a senario that never really happens oout side of hollywood. The have exactly the right person with the right information at the right time?
    Rarity is not an excuse. What's the harm in admitting that in very rare circumstances, torture is acceptable? I'd rather have a law that is never used than tens of thousands of people die because of an overbroad law.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  8. #238
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    Rarity is not an excuse. What's the harm in admitting that in very rare circumstances, torture is acceptable? I'd rather have a law that is never used than tens of thousands of people die because of an overbroad law.
    Not just rare. Not likely at all, ever.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #239
    Educator Paratrooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Al
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    888

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Yet another situation where maybe it happens and you don't know about it. There is a reason we have security clearances for people in certain positions. There are certain threats that if the general public found out would cause them to panic (sometimes that is the goal of the offender in the first place) where it would be detrimental to tell people about it, or maybe better to just deal with the situation before it actually plays out.

    I guess some people think Counter Terrorism units just sit around and play video games all day.

  10. #240
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    Yet another situation where maybe it happens and you don't know about it. There is a reason we have security clearances for people in certain positions. There are certain threats that if the general public found out would cause them to panic (sometimes that is the goal of the offender in the first place) where it would be detrimental to tell people about it, or maybe better to just deal with the situation before it actually plays out.

    I guess some people think Counter Terrorism units just sit around and play video games all day.
    If it happened, we'd have evidence. I don't buy that the only evidence we can get is where it went wrong. Government use this tactic so they are not questioned. It doesn't wash.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •