View Poll Results: Do you think water boarding is torture?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    114 77.55%
  • No

    33 22.45%
Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 564

Thread: Do you think water boarding is torture?[W:453]

  1. #201
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratrooper View Post
    These are simply talking points. If it was not effective it would not be used. Can a detainee give false information? Certainly but they can by other means as well.
    No, they are nto talking points. That's just the excuse used not to addresss them. And people use ineffective stuff all the time. It is simply false that it wouldn't be used if it weren't effective. We've tortured quite a few people. We know of two deaths, one we know was innocent and the other likely innocent, we tortured a guy because we got his name wrong, we know we've gotten misinformation and acted on it, and with all this evidence against it, there is next to nothing documented any success with it. These are the simply facts of the matter. We have many texts written on effective interrogation techqinues and much that shows many of them far more effective. And in fact, or best intel came from those techniques.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #202
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm sorry, but it isn't effective.
    in fact it is.

    They did not get critical information from the torture, and what little they got, they got the same information and more without it.
    given that we did not torture, I would say we probably gained very little indeed.

    if, however, you mean enhanced interrogation, then that program was responsible for large portions if not most of what we know about the workings and plans of central al-qaeda leadership, which is how we were able to effectively target them.

    When you consider how clearly we can document not only misinformation, but misinformation that we USED, to our detriment, to argue it is effective is what is really foolish
    disinformation from interrogation is successful when the detainee has the mental faculty to maintain a complex figment; which is incredibly difficult to do when tired and under stress.

    "Curveball"? The Source that convinced us Saddam had an active CW program? He was interrogated in the nice-guy-way. And he lied convincingly and we never caught on. Someone undergoing enhanced interrogation is going to find that exceedingly difficult to do.

    No one argues everyone doesn't break, even the innocnet confess, and even those who know knowing give something. This is the problem with it.
    I love how you say things like this, because it really drives home that you don't really have any idea what goes on in an interrogation .

  3. #203
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    in fact it is.
    We agree then, it is ineffective.

    given that we did not torture, I would say we probably gained very little indeed.

    if, however, you mean enhanced interrogation, then that program was responsible for large portions if not most of what we know about the workings and plans of central al-qaeda leadership, which is how we were able to effectively target them.
    This is where you try to play word games, hoping to hide the immorality of actually torturing people. This was the Bush tactic and it seems to have worked for you. I suggest any person who can pretend this wasn't torture lacks a moral core.



    disinformation from interrogation is successful when the detainee has the mental faculty to maintain a complex figment; which is incredibly difficult to do when tired and under stress.

    "Curveball"? The Source that convinced us Saddam had an active CW program? He was interrogated in the nice-guy-way. And he lied convincingly and we never caught on. Someone undergoing enhanced interrogation is going to find that exceedingly difficult to do.
    Apparently not as difficult as you think, as people have given misinformaiton often.

    This is also where you try to misrepresnt what was said. Many find doing this dishonest. I said, and I've been specific, we used al Libi's information that we got under torture as part of our reasoning for going to war. "Curveball wasn't really interrogated. And the german's told us he was unreliable. But, when you want to go war, we're willing to use both. Same as using the heros in error of Chalibi's. But the FACT remains, we tortured, got wrong information, and used it.



    I love how you say things like this, because it really drives home that you don't really have any idea what goes on in an interrogation .
    I love how you try to be dismissive without actually providing anything of substance. Try actually addressing what is said.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Well judging by the results of this poll DP members still lean to the far left........To think water boarding is torture when we do it to our own troops is ridiculous. When I was in the Navy in order to go to Vietnam you had to go to survival school and spend time in a POW camp in Warner Springs Ca. One of the things they did to us was put us in these amall boxes and you had no idea how long you would be there.........What happens after time is your legs and feet fall asleep and when they finally let you out (I was in the box for 45 minutes) you can't stand......Now that was torture
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    One has a nightmare. That nightmare entails have your fingers slowly pulled off.

    Another has a nightmare about drowning, ever so slowly.

    Mutilation is torture, but drowning isn't? Why?

    Waterboarding is torture.

    Just voted "Yes," too.
    Last edited by Wake; 08-01-12 at 08:37 PM.

  6. #206
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Well judging by the results of this poll DP members still lean to the far left........To think water boarding is torture when we do it to our own troops is ridiculous. When I was in the Navy in order to go to Vietnam you had to go to survival school and spend time in a POW camp in Warner Springs Ca. One of the things they did to us was put us in these amall boxes and you had no idea how long you would be there.........What happens after time is your legs and feet fall asleep and when they finally let you out (I was in the box for 45 minutes) you can't stand......Now that was torture
    I didn't know having a moral compass was a left thing. Learn something new every day.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #207
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Well judging by the results of this poll DP members still lean to the far left........To think water boarding is torture when we do it to our own troops is ridiculous. When I was in the Navy in order to go to Vietnam you had to go to survival school and spend time in a POW camp in Warner Springs Ca. One of the things they did to us was put us in these amall boxes and you had no idea how long you would be there.........What happens after time is your legs and feet fall asleep and when they finally let you out (I was in the box for 45 minutes) you can't stand......Now that was torture
    There are some pretty far right wing people who voted Yes NP. Much further to the right than you in fact. Just because some one disagrees with you on an issue does not make them left wing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #208
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I didn't know having a moral compass was a left thing. Learn something new every day.
    Look at how the vote went left vs right and with few exceptions you will find that the left thinks it torture and the right does not.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  9. #209
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,190

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Well judging by the results of this poll DP members still lean to the far left........To think water boarding is torture when we do it to our own troops is ridiculous. When I was in the Navy in order to go to Vietnam you had to go to survival school and spend time in a POW camp in Warner Springs Ca. One of the things they did to us was put us in these amall boxes and you had no idea how long you would be there.........What happens after time is your legs and feet fall asleep and when they finally let you out (I was in the box for 45 minutes) you can't stand......Now that was torture
    It really doesn't matter. By both strict definition and by the way it is defined in the United Nations Convention Against Torture. I really don't see any way around that.

    Also, you can't tell that someone leans "far to the left" based on their answer to this question.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  10. #210
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Do you think water boarding is torture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There are some pretty far right wing people who voted Yes NP. Much further to the right than you in fact. Just because some one disagrees with you on an issue does not make them left wing.
    Like I told Boo, check it out you might be surprised.......I did not think you disagreed with Obama on anything.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

Page 21 of 57 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •